Sign in with
Your question

Realtek HD audio...

Last response: in Components
December 28, 2004 9:21:07 AM

I have one of the new intel 915 chipset motherboards which has realtek ALC861 HD Audio integrated, and I'm thinking about getting some good quality speakers, I was wondering if I need to buy a new soundcard as well, or if the realtek integrated would do. Would I be able to tell the difference between the realtek HD and an Audigy 2 value, for example?

More about : realtek audio

December 28, 2004 3:01:54 PM

The onboard sound in the last couple of years has gotten so good, that unless you are profesionally recording audio, onboard is ideal for PC sound solutions.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
December 29, 2004 12:02:22 AM

well that's good news,

thanks.
Related resources
December 29, 2004 2:01:40 AM

Also, if you're really gonna need the CPU power, try not to use the onboard one.
December 29, 2004 3:03:03 AM

nah I've got CPU power to burn (3.2Ghz) I'm pretty sure most games wouldn't need that much yet
December 29, 2004 10:21:41 AM

The onboard audio will use about 5% to 6% more cpu power than a good quality sound card.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
December 30, 2004 1:19:13 PM

You already paid for onboard sound...it is included in the price of your mobo, so just give it a try and see(?) by yourself if you need or not to pay again for a sound card. The nice speakers set can be use on a new sound card too...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
January 2, 2005 6:28:56 PM

I've noticed that onboard sound cards don't really surround process to well. They sort of smear the audio signal across a few channels. I never knew the diff until I got my Audigy 2 ZS. If you watch a lot of movies and play a lot of games you will likely notice a HUGE difference with an audigy 2 over onboard sound. If you have a surround system you need Dolby Digital EX and/or DTS ES, it is a world of difference.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
!