Realtek HD audio...

LordPaludis

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2004
I have one of the new intel 915 chipset motherboards which has realtek ALC861 HD Audio integrated, and I'm thinking about getting some good quality speakers, I was wondering if I need to buy a new soundcard as well, or if the realtek integrated would do. Would I be able to tell the difference between the realtek HD and an Audigy 2 value, for example?

RichPLS

Champion
The onboard sound in the last couple of years has gotten so good, that unless you are profesionally recording audio, onboard is ideal for PC sound solutions.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
The onboard audio will use about 5% to 6% more cpu power than a good quality sound card.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

pat

Expert
You already paid for onboard sound...it is included in the price of your mobo, so just give it a try and see(?) by yourself if you need or not to pay again for a sound card. The nice speakers set can be use on a new sound card too...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I've noticed that onboard sound cards don't really surround process to well. They sort of smear the audio signal across a few channels. I never knew the diff until I got my Audigy 2 ZS. If you watch a lot of movies and play a lot of games you will likely notice a HUGE difference with an audigy 2 over onboard sound. If you have a surround system you need Dolby Digital EX and/or DTS ES, it is a world of difference.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

TRENDING THREADS