Discarding flowers etc.

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Hi all

Who said mahjong is dead? We are having interesting and vivid
discussions about the Chinese Official rules at the mahjong News OEMC
forum, at
http://www.mahjongnews.com/phorum/list.php?f=1

E.g.: can you discard a flower tile, and can you claim a kong when you
have just claimed a chow?
Any input of all you mahjong lovers is appreciated.

Greetz!

|Martin Rep
|The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
|Mahjong News:
|www.mahjongnews.com
|The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
|www.riichi.tk
|The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
|www.gouden-draak.nl

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

I am not aware of any rules/styles that would allow one to discard a
flower tile. Also as far as I know, in all Chinese variations, one
cannot make a kong after claiming a chow -- kongs can only be made
directly by claiming a discard or after drawing a tile from the wall.
But can you please post some of the discussions from your site here, so
we can all share in the insights. Thanks.

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

<d_lau@my-deja.com> wrote...
>I am not aware of any rules/styles that would allow one to discard a
> flower tile.

You weren't until now, anyway. (^_^)

>Also as far as I know, in all Chinese variations, one
> cannot make a kong after claiming a chow -- kongs can only be made
> directly by claiming a discard or after drawing a tile from the wall.

Everybody who describes this rule only mentions chows. I assume that one is
also not permitted to make a kong after punging. If this assumption is
correct, then the rule could be stated: "one cannot make a kong after
claiming a discard."

> But can you please post some of the discussions from your site here, so
> we can all share in the insights. Thanks.

We can all go to Martin's forum easily enough, IMO.
Cheers
Tom

"Tom Sloper" <tomster@sloperamaNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> <d_lau@my-deja.com> wrote...
>>I am not aware of any rules/styles that would allow one to discard a
>> flower tile.
>
> You weren't until now, anyway. (^_^)

But which style/variant? Any documation?

>>Also as far as I know, in all Chinese variations, one
>> cannot make a kong after claiming a chow -- kongs can only be made
>> directly by claiming a discard or after drawing a tile from the wall.
>
> Everybody who describes this rule only mentions chows. I assume that one
> is also not permitted to make a kong after punging. If this assumption is
> correct, then the rule could be stated: "one cannot make a kong after
> claiming a discard."

You are HALF correct, Tom.

(a) In HKOS, after claiming a discarded tile for a chow, a player is allowed
to change the *same* chow to a kong if he has the 4th identical tile in
hand, and allowed to draw a replacement tile from the wall as if he is
claiming a kong in the first place. In other variant, this exactly same
practice is documented in the IMJ Rules.

(b) Also in HKOS (perhaps in all other known variants), after having claimed
a discard for a pong, or a chow, a player is not allowed to make a kong
using other than the claimed discarded tile.

Regards,

Cofa
www.iMahjong.com

Cofa Tsui wrote:
> (a) In HKOS, after claiming a discarded tile for a chow, a player is
allowed
> to change the *same* chow to a kong if he has the 4th identical tile
in
> hand, and allowed to draw a replacement tile from the wall as if he
is
> claiming a kong in the first place. In other variant, this exactly
same
> practice is documented in the IMJ Rules.

Cofa, do you mean "pung" instead of "chow" in this paragraph? In our
playing circles, some (older) players tend to call "pung" to mean
either "pung" or "kong" or "win".

<d_lau@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Cofa Tsui wrote:
>> (a) In HKOS, after claiming a discarded tile for a chow, a player is
> allowed
>> to change the *same* chow to a kong if he has the 4th identical tile
> in
>> hand, and allowed to draw a replacement tile from the wall as if he
> is
>> claiming a kong in the first place. In other variant, this exactly
> same
>> practice is documented in the IMJ Rules.
>
> Cofa, do you mean "pung" instead of "chow" in this paragraph? In our
> playing circles, some (older) players tend to call "pung" to mean
> either "pung" or "kong" or "win".

AI YA! What a big carelessness! Yes, I do mean "PONG" instead of "chow".

This is obviously an "old" practice in HKOS as people used to call PONG when
claiming a discard for either pong or kong. I guess that's why a player is
allowed to change his mind after displaying a set of pong as outlined above.

In modern mahjong games, especially when written rules are to be followed,
players are asked to declare clearly which move is intended (either PONG or
KONG), and any change in the same turn is not allowed or punishable. I am in
favour of the "old" practice as, firstly, it could preserve the traditional
elements of the game and, secondly, it won't do any harm to the overall game
play.

Cheers!

Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com

Cofa Tsui wrote:
> In modern mahjong games, especially when written rules are to be
followed,
> players are asked to declare clearly which move is intended (either
PONG or
> KONG), and any change in the same turn is not allowed or punishable.
I am in
> favour of the "old" practice as, firstly, it could preserve the
traditional
> elements of the game and, secondly, it won't do any harm to the
overall game
> play.

I am also in favor of the "old" practice (of allowing one to call
"pung" to mean several actions). However there is potential "harm"
that I want to point out; sometimes, another player will choose not to
go out on the "punged" tile (even though he can), but if the player
doing the "pung" changes his mind to "kong", then the other player will
declare win. All this is fine among friends and family, but I can see
how this can become a problem in a tournament.

> I am also in favor of the "old" practice (of allowing one to call
> "pung" to mean several actions). However there is potential "harm"
> that I want to point out; sometimes, another player will choose not to
> go out on the "punged" tile (even though he can), but if the player
> doing the "pung" changes his mind to "kong", then the other player will
> declare win. All this is fine among friends and family, but I can see
> how this can become a problem in a tournament.

Thanks Dee for the thought. However, I think it is still safe to keep the
old practice. The player who has the priority to win but decides to let
other player to pong, has already given up his right to win.

Cheers!

Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

In article <JANud.487975$%k.29343@pd7tw2no>,
Cofa Tsui <IMJ@cofatsuiTAKETHISOFF.com> wrote:
><d_lau@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> I am also in favor of the "old" practice (of allowing one to call
>> "pung" to mean several actions). However there is potential "harm"
>> that I want to point out; sometimes, another player will choose not to
>> go out on the "punged" tile (even though he can), but if the player
>> doing the "pung" changes his mind to "kong", then the other player will
>> declare win. All this is fine among friends and family, but I can see
>> how this can become a problem in a tournament.
>
>Thanks Dee for the thought. However, I think it is still safe to keep the
>old practice. The player who has the priority to win but decides to let
>other player to pong, has already given up his right to win.

Why? The person who gets a tile is the one with the higher claim, not
the one who speaks first. The question is then, when does the discard
become dead and unavailable for claiming. In the extreme Millingtonian
version, this is not until the next discard hits the table; but even
in Cofa's rules, you can claim until the next tile is drawn or chow
taken; are there any rules with a shorter claim window?

So I don't understand either Dee's problem or Cofa's solution.

"Julian Bradfield" <jcb@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message

>>Thanks Dee for the thought. However, I think it is still safe to keep the
>>old practice. The player who has the priority to win but decides to let
>>other player to pong, has already given up his right to win.
>
> Why? The person who gets a tile is the one with the higher claim, not
> the one who speaks first. The question is then, when does the discard
> become dead and unavailable for claiming.

Hi Julian,

You are quite right, but the rules also provide that one can *give up* his
priority so that other players (at lower claim) who want to move on with a
discard can act accordingly.

In the extreme Millingtonian
> version, this is not until the next discard hits the table; but even
> in Cofa's rules, you can claim until the next tile is drawn or chow
> taken; are there any rules with a shorter claim window?
>
> So I don't understand either Dee's problem or Cofa's solution.

It is my opinion that Millington's rules, especially those related to
handling a discarded tile, were learned from "among friends and family"
environment. In a friends and family game, players can do whatever seems to
be generous and to keep the atmosphere friendly, to the extend that the game
is not ruined. Millington thus saw that a discarded tile claimed by a player
or a tile that has been drawn and placed inside a concealed hand, can all be
reversed... With this rule type, the fairness in game play is jeopardized
and the rule consistency is weak. I don't believe that's the original idea
of the game or that such idea is good.

In the years when I played HKOS heavily, reversing a tile did occur every
now and then, but NEVER in a table when there was even just one guy who was
new to the group. When I drafted the IMJ Rules I spent quite some time
considering this issue and tried to make it clearest possible as to how long
a discard is still available, as per art. 23.4 ("IMJ Rules Online" at
www.iMahjong.com).

I guess Dee won't have problem with this but has just oversighted the "given
up" part.

Cheers!

Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com

Julian Bradfield wrote:
> So I don't understand either Dee's problem or Cofa's solution.

The problem is this (as told by Cofa):
Player A discards a tile.
Player B calls "pung".
Player C, who can win on the discarded tile, chose NOT to say anything
(note, this is not "giving up" his chance to win, but for whatever
reason, he decides not to say anything at this time).
Player B, who called "pung" changed his mind and decided to make it a
"kong" (note this is not allowed in some games, as pointed out by Cofa,
because Player B called for "pung").
Player C decides to announce his win at this point.

In a friendly game, it is a non-issue. But in tournament play, I can
see how allowing Player B to call "pung" and proceed to make a "kong"
can be a problem if Player C is not allowed to claim a win after Player
B has laid out a "kong". The reasons Player C may decide to announce a
win when Player B changed from a "pung" to a "kong" is because Player B
may be showing a big hand and there is potential that Player B may draw
a winning tile from the tail of the wall. If Player B is merely doing
a "pung", there is no chance for him to win at that point and must
discard another tile.

d_lau@my-deja.com writes:

> In a friendly game, it is a non-issue. But in tournament play, I can
> see how allowing Player B to call "pung" and proceed to make a "kong"
> can be a problem if Player C is not allowed to claim a win after Player
> B has laid out a "kong".

It should be a non-issue in tournament play as well, because the rules
should cover the situation. In most rules player C *is* allowed to
claim a win then, because player B has not yet discarded
or player-to-the-right-of-B has not yet drawn
or player-to-the-right-of-B has not yet discarded,
as the case may be.

It's actually quite hard to think how one could reasonably formulate a
rule that *would* forbid player C claiming a win at this point.
I suppose it would have to be "a discard is live up to the point at
which a claimant lays down the claimed set", but I've never seen such
a rule. (I haven't checked the Chinese Official rules,
since Babelfish can't really cope with them:)
But if the rules somehow do forbid this, but yet allow player B to
change their mind about their declaration, that's just tough.

Or am I completely missing the point? (Not unlikely!)

> d_lau@my-deja.com writes:
>

>> In a friendly game, it is a non-issue. But in tournament play, I can
>> see how allowing Player B to call "pung" and proceed to make a "kong"
>> can be a problem if Player C is not allowed to claim a win after Player
>> B has laid out a "kong".
>
> It should be a non-issue in tournament play as well, because the rules
> should cover the situation. In most rules player C *is* allowed to
> claim a win then, because player B has not yet discarded
> or player-to-the-right-of-B has not yet drawn
> or player-to-the-right-of-B has not yet discarded,
> as the case may be.

I agree that it shouldn't be an issue as long as the rules are clear.

Previously, Dee said:
Player C, who can win on the discarded tile, chose NOT to say anything
(note, this is not "giving up" his chance to win, but for whatever
reason, he decides not to say anything at this time).

In the old days when rules are not in writting, this practice (not saying
anything) is really a cause of problem. With written rules, this same
practice can be defined (deemed) as having given up the right to claim the
discard. (Similar to Art. 23.4.)

I see that the "old" practice (allowing a player to change from a pong claim
to a kong claim) doesn't do any harm because by the time B is given way (by
C, obviously) to proceed to pong, C has already given up his right to the
discard and cannot reverse his decision. Let's look at another example:

1. A discards a tile.
2. (D can win on that tile, but chooses to keep silent instead.)
3. After a reasonable pause of time, B takes the discard to form a chow.
4. C draws a tile and discards a tile *identical* to the discard of A.
5. B pongs it!

From the above you can see, at steps 4 and 5, D is not allowed to win on the
identical tile discarded by C. This explains why however B handles the
discard will not do any harm to D because his priority right has already
been given up by himself.

> It's actually quite hard to think how one could reasonably formulate a
> rule that *would* forbid player C claiming a win at this point.
> I suppose it would have to be "a discard is live up to the point at
> which a claimant lays down the claimed set", but I've never seen such
> a rule. (I haven't checked the Chinese Official rules,
> since Babelfish can't really cope with them:)
> But if the rules somehow do forbid this, but yet allow player B to
> change their mind about their declaration, that's just tough.
>
> Or am I completely missing the point? (Not unlikely!)

Art. 23.4 of IMJ Rules provides the solution but, since it don't rely on a
timer, it uses "a reasonable pause of time" to stipulate the time frame the
discard remains available. Obviously, how long a "pause" is reasonable is
still arguable. I think "until the claimed set is laid" is a good
alternative.

In CMCR, art. 7.6 (page 19) requires that a pong must be claimed within 3
seconds. So I guess, after 3 seconds of the discard, player C will not be
allowed to pong anymore. Art. 7.1 also specifically states that "pong" and
"kong" are NOT interchangeable.

Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com

Cofa Tsui wrote:
> Previously, Dee said:
> Player C, who can win on the discarded tile, chose NOT to say
anything
> (note, this is not "giving up" his chance to win, but for whatever
> reason, he decides not to say anything at this time).
>
> I see that the "old" practice (allowing a player to change from a
pong claim
> to a kong claim) doesn't do any harm because by the time B is given
way (by
> C, obviously) to proceed to pong, C has already given up his right to
the
> discard and cannot reverse his decision. Let's look at another
example:

> 1. A discards a tile.
> 2. (D can win on that tile, but chooses to keep silent instead.)
> 3. After a reasonable pause of time, B takes the discard to form a
chow.
> 4. C draws a tile and discards a tile *identical* to the discard of
A.
> 5. B pongs it!
>
> From the above you can see, at steps 4 and 5, D is not allowed to win
on the
> identical tile discarded by C. This explains why however B handles
the
> discard will not do any harm to D because his priority right has
already
> been given up by himself.

Sorry, but your example is completely different from the case of player
B taking the discard from A by calling "pung" and then proceed to form
a "kong". In your example, player D gave up his chance as soon as
player B discarded his tile. But in the original example, nothing has
happened yet (i.e., no discard yet) except player B has "changed from a
pung claim to a kong claim". If player B was allowed to change his
mind, why shouldn't player D (in your example) also be allowed to
change his mind and claim a win at that time? Had player B called
"kong" initially, player D would probably claim win immediately.

So there is "harm" in allowing one player to change his mind while not
allowing another player to change his. Sure, you can legislate it by
formulating a set of rules that would favor one player over another,
but if this was written in the (IMJ) rules, then the rules are not fair
or equitable to all players.

On 2004-12-09 17:27:30 +0100, d_lau@my-deja.com said:

> I am not aware of any rules/styles that would allow one to discard a
> flower tile. Also as far as I know, in all Chinese variations, one
> cannot make a kong after claiming a chow -- kongs can only be made
> directly by claiming a discard or after drawing a tile from the wall.
> But can you please post some of the discussions from your site here, so
> we can all share in the insights. Thanks.

Oh yes -- if this rule exists in COMJ (Cofa says it doesn't, and he can
read the rulebook; Tom, who has attended the First China Majian
Championship, knows about the rule), it is not unique. In Italian
mahjong (Italy has a large, and quite active, mahjong society, and even
*two* mahjong leagues) you have to discard a flower tile when you pick
it from the wall after a riichi (ready) declaration.

Grtz

--

> Cofa Tsui wrote:
>> Previously, Dee said:
>> Player C, who can win on the discarded tile, chose NOT to say
> anything
>> (note, this is not "giving up" his chance to win, but for whatever
>> reason, he decides not to say anything at this time).
>>
>> I see that the "old" practice (allowing a player to change from a
> pong claim
>> to a kong claim) doesn't do any harm because by the time B is given
> way (by
>> C, obviously) to proceed to pong, C has already given up his right to
> the
>> discard and cannot reverse his decision. Let's look at another
> example:
>>
>> 1. A discards a tile.
>> 2. (D can win on that tile, but chooses to keep silent instead.)
>> 3. After a reasonable pause of time, B takes the discard to form a
> chow.
>> 4. C draws a tile and discards a tile *identical* to the discard of
> A.
>> 5. B pongs it!
>>
>> From the above you can see, at steps 4 and 5, D is not allowed to win
> on the
>> identical tile discarded by C. This explains why however B handles
> the
>> discard will not do any harm to D because his priority right has
> already
>> been given up by himself.
>
> Sorry, but your example is completely different from the case of player
> B taking the discard from A by calling "pung" and then proceed to form
> a "kong". In your example, player D gave up his chance as soon as
> player B discarded his tile. But in the original example, nothing has
> happened yet (i.e., no discard yet) except player B has "changed from a
> pung claim to a kong claim". If player B was allowed to change his
> mind, why shouldn't player D (in your example) also be allowed to
> change his mind and claim a win at that time? Had player B called
> "kong" initially, player D would probably claim win immediately.

The situations may be different but the principle is the same: Each player
performs, or chooses not to perform, an action of the higher priority. If a
player of a lower priority is allowed to perform an action (or, if an action
of a lower priority is performed), the action of a higher priority becomes
invalid.

In the above example, so is in the example of changing from pong to kong,
the player who can win "gives up" his right as soon as he *allows* an action
of lower priority to take place. His right doesn't last until another tile
is discarded, not even until another player forms a set of pong or kong.

> So there is "harm" in allowing one player to change his mind while not
> allowing another player to change his. Sure, you can legislate it by
> formulating a set of rules that would favor one player over another,
> but if this was written in the (IMJ) rules, then the rules are not fair
> or equitable to all players.

So, I guess, the "harm" to the player who has given up his right does not
exist. (Unless I have oversighted other points ^_^) Regarding fairness,
CMCR's ruling will certainly do good. I however just try to preserve the
traditional elements if it won't do any harm.

Cheers!

Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com

Cofa wrote:
>The situations may be different but the principle is the same: Each
player
>performs, or chooses not to perform, an action of the higher priority.
If a
>player of a lower priority is allowed to perform an action (or, if an
action
>of a lower priority is performed), the action of a higher priority
becomes
>invalid.

Wait just a minute. Here is the original example:
1. Player A discards a tile.
2. Player B calls "pung" (and proceed to make a "kong").
3. Player C calls "win".

By your rules, player C cannot call "win" because he has "given up his
chance to win" because he did not call it before player B called
"pung". Are you saying that if a player called "pung" or "kong" on a
discard, then no other player can call "win" on that discard? So now
IMJ has become a game of "who can call faster"??? I am glad the people
I play with do not play by your IMJ rules.

> Cofa wrote:
>>The situations may be different but the principle is the same: Each
> player
>>performs, or chooses not to perform, an action of the higher priority.
> If a
>>player of a lower priority is allowed to perform an action (or, if an
> action
>>of a lower priority is performed), the action of a higher priority
> becomes
>>invalid.
>
> Wait just a minute. Here is the original example:
> 1. Player A discards a tile.
[1a. (In a reasonable pause of time) player C chooses not to do anything.]
> 2. Player B calls "pung" (and proceed to make a "kong").
> 3. Player C calls "win".
>
> By your rules, player C cannot call "win" because he has "given up his
> chance to win" because he did not call it before player B called
> "pung". Are you saying that if a player called "pung" or "kong" on a
> discard, then no other player can call "win" on that discard? So now
> IMJ has become a game of "who can call faster"??? I am glad the people
> I play with do not play by your IMJ rules.

Sorry I must have had missed something (see the square brackets above). The
principle is: If C were to win he must stop B from continuing his (B's) pong
as soon as possible. If C knows B has declared pong but chooses to allow B
to continue his (B's) claim, C is considered having given up his priority.

As I said before, how long a pause is "reasonable" is arguable. If, while B
is displaying his pong set, C cries out: "STOP, I declare WIN!" Then, I'd
consider it to be OK. Unless a timer is in use (like the CMCR rules), I
guess common sense is good enough to make a reasonable judgement. By the
way, this principle can fit in all variants, and IMJ is certainly not a "who
can call faster" game!

Cheers!

--
Cofa Tsui