what is a firewal? someone told me i should hvae a firewal. they also told me
that my machine is probably a zombie. now what is that? all i know my
computer is very very very slow....it used to be fast. i was going to throw
it out and buy another one but they said I would be stupid to do that. I just
bought it about a year ago from hp. i cannot change my home page because it
is dimmed does not have the black lettering just a light grey color and and
it goes to nowhere, it is called someting blank. i am dialup and things are
very slow,can anyboyd help me.

Thank you

"willywonkatonka5" <willywonkatonka5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>what is a firewal? someone told me i should hvae a firewal. they also told me
>that my machine is probably a zombie. now what is that?

You already have a Firewall. See "Description of the Windows XP
Internet Connection Firewall"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320855) and "Description of the
Windows Firewall feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=843090).

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,290660,sid14_gci331881,00.html

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,290660,sid14_gci213422,00.html

> all i know my
> computer is very very very slow....it used to be fast. i was going to throw
> it out and buy another one but they said I would be stupid to do that.

Yes, it would be foolish to discard a relatively new computer just
because you haven't learned to maintain it.

What antivirus and anti-spyware applications are you using? Why aren't
you using a firewall?

I don't mean to sound unnecessarily harsh, but given today's
widely-publicized and well-known hostile Internet environment, only a
fool or a masochist would go on-line without both a firewall and
antivirus protection.

Such basic precautions are the computing equivalents of wearing
seatbelts while driving or riding in an automobile - they're there to
prevent/reduce the damage if an accident should occur.

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
they're about to click.

Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

Protect Your PC

Home Computer Security
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

List of Antivirus Software Vendors
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

Home PC Firewall Guide
http://www.firewallguide.com/

Scumware.com
http://www.scumware.com/

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"willywonkatonka5" <willywonkatonka5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BB6C1AB9-3C66-4260-8720-47B303785ABD@microsoft.com...
> what is a firewal? someone told me i should hvae a firewal. they also told
> me
> that my machine is probably a zombie. now what is that? all i know my
> computer is very very very slow....it used to be fast. i was going to
> throw
> it out and buy another one but they said I would be stupid to do that. I
> just
> bought it about a year ago from hp. i cannot change my home page because
> it
> is dimmed does not have the black lettering just a light grey color and
> and
> it goes to nowhere, it is called someting blank. i am dialup and things
> are
> very slow,can anyboyd help me.
>
> Thank you

Willy
not only do you need a firewall, it's also advisable to have up-to-date
Anti Virus software protecting your PC, judging by what you have
posted it seems likely you don't have either.
You might be better off having your PC fixed by a competent
technician, get him /her to explain the merits of such things after
it is cleaned up and protected from nasties.

rgds
Li'l Roberto

Order the XP SP2 CD from MS. Wait till it arrives. Clean install your
current XP again. Check the HP manual on how to do this. Then install the
SP2. Then, immediately go to the windows update site and install any
subsequent critical updates.
XP comes with a firewall that is effective inbound only. 3rd party firewall
software offers both inbound and outbound protection.
AntiVirus software is a "must" on any PC nowadays.
Some ISPs offer some form of AV inspection, bug and trojan protection,
pop-up stoppers etc. I don't like anyone or anything having the ability to
snoop on my PC. So, I use standalone versions installed locally.

"willywonkatonka5" <willywonkatonka5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BB6C1AB9-3C66-4260-8720-47B303785ABD@microsoft.com...
> what is a firewal? someone told me i should hvae a firewal. they also told
me
> that my machine is probably a zombie. now what is that? all i know my
> computer is very very very slow....it used to be fast. i was going to
throw
> it out and buy another one but they said I would be stupid to do that. I
just
> bought it about a year ago from hp. i cannot change my home page because
it
> is dimmed does not have the black lettering just a light grey color and
and
> it goes to nowhere, it is called someting blank. i am dialup and things
are
> very slow,can anyboyd help me.
>
> Thank you

Susan