MN520 - Laptop can't 'see' Base Station!

Ok, I've done about everything humanly possible, and my
laptop still cannot detect the Base Station after it's
been working fine for over a year.

I've tried rebooting/resetting/changing all
channels/enabling-disabling WEP/Customer Support, and
NOTHING seems to be working! My laptop is running XP, and
my PC has Win 98SE-which is working fine.

HELP! Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-kev

Is the card light blinking? The MN5x0 do not connect with
SSID broadcasts disabled.

Other than that leave all default settings on the router
after a reset, except the WAN settings to get Internet
access, change the default SSID from MSHOME to avoid
collisions with other networks, and disable WEP. Then set
the MN520. Use same channel on router and wifi card, and
same SSID.

If you use the install CD for the MN520, make sure to
disable Windows ICF and uninstall any firewall (Norton?).
For manual installs, this is not a problem, although will
block proper access between the PCs.

Another thing that may help is assigning a static IP to the
laptop (although it should work without) -- set IP to
192.168.2.2, mask 255.255.255.0, DNS and gateway
192.168.2.1. Try first with WEP disabled.

Windows Zero Configuration should be enabled on the wifi
card, and ieee 802.1x disabled.

Once you get it working, add WEP to router and card.

Yeah, I've tried all that too. I do always keep the SSID
enabled though.

I left the base station unplugged all night, and tried
this morning, and everything worked great! Then I get
home from work, and now the signal is in and out
constantly. Can't keep a solid connection. I'm begging
to think either the base station is going bad, or someone
else is interfering with me. Any suggestions on how to
avoid interference?? I've all channels 1-11.

Thanks,

-kev

The first thing you should try, is to check for
overheating. Keep the router turned off during all day and
check if it works later once you are back from work -- if
it still does not work at that time, the problem is not due
to over-heating in the router, but more likely interference.

You may want to download NetStumbler <netstumbler.com> It
will list all networks around you, including the channels
you are using.

If it does not work better changing the channels, or moving
the router around (remember these are just like old time
radios with poor reception), you may want to add a plug-in
antenna to focus the signal into the area around your
laptop (and shield from elsewhere). There are some easy
designs on the Internet (e.g. www.freeantennas.com) or you
may check on the stores around.

Pretty neat tool, that NetStumbler that is. Thank you Mr.
Neighbor for the internet connection to download!

However, it only picks up that one network of the
neighbors, not mine. You may be on to something about
overheating, it's been warming up here in Illinois
lately. I'll try to let it cool down again overnight and
see what happens.

Thanks again,

-kev