Rockworth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
I just recently installed WinXP Home Edition, and I was curious which processes (services) I can get rid of without causing my system to be unstable? I'd like to close all those un-needed, extra services/processes to lighten the load that the OS puts on my memory. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm" target="_new">Windows XP Home and Professional Service Configurations</A>

This guy tends to go a little overboard with disabling Services, but if you read the information carefully, and keep an eye on your Event Logs after rebooting, you shouldn't haven't any problems deciding which Services are actually needed, and/or which can be set to manual or disabled.

This is how my list looks:

Alerter -- Manual
Application Layer Gateway Service -- Manual
Application Management -- Manual
Automatic Updates -- Manual
Background Intelligent Transfer Service -- Started -- Automatic
ClipBook -- Manual
COM+ Event System -- Started -- Manual
COM + System Application -- Manual
Computer Browser -- Disabled
Cryptographic Services -- Started -- Automatic
DHCP Client -- Started -- Automatic
Diskeeper -- Manual
Distributed Link Tracking Client -- Manual
Distributed Transaction Coordinator -- Manual
DNS Client -- Started -- Automatic
Error Reporting Service -- Manual
Event Log -- Started -- Automatic
Fast User Switching Compatibility -- Disabled
Fax Service -- Manual
Help and Support -- Started -- Automatic
Human Interface Device Access -- Disabled
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service -- Manual
Indexing Service -- Disabled
ICF/Internet Connection Sharing -- Manual
IPSEC Services -- Started -- Automatic
Logical Disk Manager -- Started -- Automatic
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service -- Manual
Messenger -- Started -- Automatic
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider -- Manual
Net Logon -- Manual
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing -- Manual
Network Connections -- Started -- Manual
Network DDE -- Manual
Network DDE DSDM -- Manual
Network Location Awareness -- Started -- Manual
NT LM Security Support Provider -- Manual
NVIDIA Driver Helper Service -- Disabled
Performance Logs and Alerts -- Manual
Plug and Play -- Started -- Automatic
Portable Media Serial Number -- Disabled
Print Spooler -- Started -- Automatic
Protected Storage -- Started -- Automatic
QoS RSVP -- Disabled
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager -- Started -- Manual
Remote Access Connection Manager -- Started -- Manual
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager -- Manual
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) -- Started -- Automatic
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator -- Manual
Remote Registry -- Disabled
Removable Storage -- Manual
Routing and Remote Access -- Disabled
Secondary Logon -- Manual
Security Accounts Manager -- Started -- Automatic
Server -- Started -- Automatic
Shell Hardware Detection -- Started -- Automatic
Smart Card -- Manual
Smart Card Helper -- Manual
SSDP Discovery Service -- Disabled
System Event Notification -- Started -- Automatic
System Restore Service -- Started -- Automatic
Task Scheduler -- Disabled
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service -- Disabled
Telephony -- Started -- Manual
Telnet -- Manual
Terminal Services -- Started -- Manual
Themes -- Started -- Automatic
Uninterruptible Power Supply -- Manual
Universal Play and Play Device Host -- Disabled
Upload Manager -- Started -- Automatic
Volume Shadow Copy -- Manual
WebClient -- Started -- Automatic
Windows Audio -- Started -- Automatic
Windows Image Acquisition -- Manual
Windows Installer -- Manual
Windows Management Instrumentation -- Started -- Automatic
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions -- Manual
Windows Time -- Manual
Wireless Zero Configuration -- Disabled
WMI Performance Adapter -- Manual
Workstation -- Started -- Automatic

In this situation, though, you should realize several things. One, with the Task Scheduler disabled, WinXP prefetching is not operational. I prefer to delete all the items in the Windows\Prefetch folder, and then reboot the system. Afterwards, I launch each frequently used program in the computer several times (including games and third-party software), and reboot two or three times for good measure. Then I disable the Task Scheduler. This seems to give me the best launch and boot speeds with the system. Plus, continuous prefetching can sometimes cause driver conflicts (oddly enough) that I'd rather avoid.

Fast User Switching is disabled because there is only one person using the system.

I also have System Restore enabled, which is something of a performance hit, although it is much less than with previous versions, such as was found in WinME. I have found the utility to be far too useful on too many occasions to disable it, although I only have it activated to monitor the system partition that contains the Windows core files, and it is set to use no more than 5% of the free space in the partition. Believe me, it's better to do regular maintenance on the system and periodically create your own manual restore points in WinXP than to completely disable the utility.

This is a functional configuration for me ... your system may end up being a little different, depending on your work habits.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
oh, I didn't realize you were blkviper. I've been using your page for a while now whenever I setup a new system. Thanks a lot for all the hard work.

One goofball thing I did a few weeks ago: I delivered a system to a friend of mine, and when they got it the audio was greyed out, wouldn't work etc. After a lot of investigation, I discovered I had accidentally disabled windows audio. Doh!

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, no ... that's not me. I just used the title of his page as part of the link. It's edited now to avoid confusion! LOL!

I know exactly what you mean about doing a goofball thing. I had a friend call me the other day, and he said that he couldn't play MIDI files with his new sound card. They would start to play, but after leaving the computer running for a while, they would cut out. He has a VIA mainboard and a SoundBlaster card, so the first thing that went through my head was moving the card to another PCI slot, installing new chipset drivers, applying latency patches ... maybe even replacing the card. He was pretty upset after the conversation.

When I got out to his house and took a look, all that was needed was to set up the MS Wavetable Synth for MIDI playback. It took about thirty seconds to see the problem and make the change. As for any other audio files in the system ... the volume control was set to Mute all.

My buddy has a 8 year old son with a sense of humor. He kept slipping back into the room and muting the control when his father got up to grab a beer or make a pit stop. Just a practical joke. :lol: We were all glad that the solution was simple, but someone nearly got his hide tanned. They both would have been a little "sore" if I had charged for the visit.

I didn't.

So much for my doom-and-gloom conversation with my friend, and causing him to massively freak out. Sometimes, you do so much troubleshooting, trying to work through seemingly impossible situations, that it's the simple stuff that gets right past you! :smile:

... T

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>