HDTV Moniter Questions

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Right, i like the look of this because it has HDTV support supposedly.

As far as i knew, that meant 720i/p and 1080i/p. Which meant a resolution of either 1280x720 or 1920x1080. This monitor has 1680x1050.

My 7950gx2 supposedly has HDCP. If I connect this monitor to my GX2 with the DVI cable, can I enable HDTV at its full reoslution?

Say, load it up with a DVI cable, and run it at 720p for example at 1680x1050, so its abetter picture than normal ones?

If not, can someone please explain to me what it all means and its uses, thanks.

HDCP is High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection. The purpose is only to display copy protected high definition video on the monitor/TV at full resolution via the digital connection.

If the card does not have HDCP, then you must use analog connections (Component or RGBHV) to watch the video at lower resolution.

Since all 22" LCD monitors have 1680 x 1050 resolution, you will be able to watch 720i/p video. Using 1:1 bit mapping will give you the best resolution. Full screen will still look good, but because the video is stretched out to fit the screen, it will not look as good due to interpolation.

As for 1080i/p, your monitor clearly does not support that resolution. You need to step up to a 24" or larger monitor which supports 1920 x 1200 resolution. The video will be shrunk down to fit the lower resolution, it should still look ok, but not as good as watching on a 24"+ LCD monitor.

Due to the fact that all 22" LCD monitors (and many smaller size monitors too) use 6-bit TN panels you will most likely see video artifacts when watching HD video. 6-bit panels can only produce 262k colors, through a process called dithering the remaining 16 million colors are created through the blending of other colors. This inaccurate way of producing colors will cause visible discolorations on the screen.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
So what you're syaing is.. theres absoltuly no point in picking a moniter with HDT support over one that hasnt just for that reason :D