Can I run SYSTEM RESTORE from a Knoppix boot?

I have the Knoppix CD to boot into Linux, with full access to all my usual
system devices, and files.

Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot? I recognize that when
"problems" do arise, that bootup using "last good configuration" will
generally get the system to boot, and then of course, System Restore can be
called upon to go back in time. But if "last good configuration" did have
some problems booting up, it would be nice to be able to use the Knoppix CD.

Ron Hirsch
7 answers Last reply
More about system restore knoppix boot

    Hello, Someone posted this reply to a similar problem, sorry I cannot
    attribute. Copied the reply but not the name.
    "Knoppix by default has read only access to NTFS drives. To turn on write
    access - - Use of the Captive NTFS tool to allows writable access to an NTFS
    formatted partition. - Click on the K button in the lower left corner of the
    screen. This will bring up a menu like the Windows Start Menu. Enter the
    "KNOPPIX" submenu. Enter the "Utilities" submenu. Select "Captive NTFS". -
    Follow the instructions on the screen. Once ntfs.sys and ntoskernel.sys are
    found you may click Ok to finish the program. You might also be interested in
    Computer First Aid Using Knoppix - http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
    ".
    Another person suggested "BartPE".
    I have used "Knoppix" to view files, not to access. "BartPE" is unknown to
    me, I shall search for this item.
    Take Care.
    beamish.

    "Ron Hirsch" wrote:

    > I have the Knoppix CD to boot into Linux, with full access to all my usual
    > system devices, and files.
    >
    > Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot? I recognize that when
    > "problems" do arise, that bootup using "last good configuration" will
    > generally get the system to boot, and then of course, System Restore can be
    > called upon to go back in time. But if "last good configuration" did have
    > some problems booting up, it would be nice to be able to use the Knoppix CD.
    >
    > Ron Hirsch

    Thanks for the info.

    Ron Hirsch

    No. You can sometimes run system restore from a command prompt boot -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

    There are times when that won't be possible and Knoppix may be very useful,
    but System Restore isn't an option because it's a Windows program.
    --

    "Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >I have the Knoppix CD to boot into Linux, with full access to all my usual
    >system devices, and files.
    >
    > Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot? I recognize that when
    > "problems" do arise, that bootup using "last good configuration" will
    > generally get the system to boot, and then of course, System Restore can
    > be called upon to go back in time. But if "last good configuration" did
    > have some problems booting up, it would be nice to be able to use the
    > Knoppix CD.
    >
    > Ron Hirsch

    No,you cann't, but you can run system restore from a ERD Commander 2005 boot.

    "Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch@adelphia.net> 23NBT$2FiFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >I have the Knoppix CD to boot into Linux, with full access to all my usual system devices, and files.
    >
    > Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot? I recognize that when "problems" do arise, that bootup using "last good
    > configuration" will generally get the system to boot, and then of course, System Restore can be called upon to go back in time.
    > But if "last good configuration" did have some problems booting up, it would be nice to be able to use the Knoppix CD.
    >
    > Ron Hirsch

    Peter,

    Thanks for the reply.

    If I read things correctly, this is a purchased item, and goes for $149 for
    a single user. That is a bit steep. I regularly image my C: drive via True
    Image. So, I'll have to stay with that choice if I ever reach a point where
    I can't boot at all.

    Fortunately, in recent years where I've gotten into a bind, and where I had
    a real problem, using "last good configuration' did get me back into normal
    operation.

    Ron Hirsch

    +++++++++++++++

    "Peter" <Peter@hotmail.com.discuss> wrote in message
    > No,you cann't, but you can run system restore from a ERD Commander 2005
    > boot.
    >

    > "Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch@adelphia.net>
    > 23NBT$2FiFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >>I have the Knoppix CD to boot into Linux, with full access to all my usual
    >>system devices, and files.
    >>
    >> Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot? I recognize that when
    >> "problems" do arise, that bootup using "last good configuration" will
    >> generally get the system to boot, and then of course, System Restore can
    >> be called upon to go back in time. But if "last good configuration" did
    >> have some problems booting up, it would be nice to be able to use the
    >> Knoppix CD.
    >>
    >> Ron Hirsch

    Hello, You are welcome.
    Take Care.
    beamish.

    "Ron Hirsch" wrote:

    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > Ron Hirsch

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:21:05 -0400, "Ron Hirsch"

    >Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot?

    I'd hardly expect it to work, given that SR is a Windows app that
    assumes deep OS congruency, and Linux off CD is neither the right OS,
    nor the right installation context.

    What you could do from Linux, is pick SR's pockets for things like
    registry hive backups, and manually apply these. That requires a deep
    knowledge of what you're up to, plus the ability to log (remember what
    you've done) and maintain a manual Undo trail.

    >...if "last good configuration" did have some problems booting up, it
    >would be nice to be able to use the Knoppix CD.

    My maintenance OS of choice is Bart's PE, and the reason I've been
    scarce in ngs lately is that I've been rather preoccupied with that.

    From Bart, and together with the RunScanner plugin, a great deal is
    possible; for example, I can run MSConfig, HiJackThis, the full suite
    of NirSoft info tools, various data recovery and av apps etc. and have
    these operate as if the HD's registry were in effect via RunScanner.

    But even from there, I would not let SR off the leash. At the best of
    times, SR is a blunt instrument, and faking the OS run state via Bart
    is far from the best of times ;-)

    "If I'd known it was harmless, I'd have
    killed it myself" (PKD)

Boot CD-Rom System Restore Windows XP