Can I run SYSTEM RESTORE from a Knoppix boot?

July 14, 2005 10:21:05 AM

I have the Knoppix CD to boot into Linux, with full access to all my usual
system devices, and files.

Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot? I recognize that when
"problems" do arise, that bootup using "last good configuration" will
generally get the system to boot, and then of course, System Restore can be
called upon to go back in time. But if "last good configuration" did have
some problems booting up, it would be nice to be able to use the Knoppix CD.

Ron Hirsch
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:00:06 PM

Hello, Someone posted this reply to a similar problem, sorry I cannot
attribute. Copied the reply but not the name.
"Knoppix by default has read only access to NTFS drives. To turn on write
access - - Use of the Captive NTFS tool to allows writable access to an NTFS
formatted partition. - Click on the K button in the lower left corner of the
screen. This will bring up a menu like the Windows Start Menu. Enter the
"KNOPPIX" submenu. Enter the "Utilities" submenu. Select "Captive NTFS". -
Follow the instructions on the screen. Once ntfs.sys and ntoskernel.sys are
found you may click Ok to finish the program. You might also be interested in
Computer First Aid Using Knoppix - http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
".
Another person suggested "BartPE".
I have used "Knoppix" to view files, not to access. "BartPE" is unknown to
me, I shall search for this item.
Take Care.
beamish.

"Ron Hirsch" wrote:

> I have the Knoppix CD to boot into Linux, with full access to all my usual
> system devices, and files.
>
> Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot? I recognize that when
> "problems" do arise, that bootup using "last good configuration" will
> generally get the system to boot, and then of course, System Restore can be
> called upon to go back in time. But if "last good configuration" did have
> some problems booting up, it would be nice to be able to use the Knoppix CD.
>
> Ron Hirsch

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 5:18:25 PM

Thanks for the info.

Ron Hirsch
Related resources
July 14, 2005 5:56:56 PM

No. You can sometimes run system restore from a command prompt boot -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

There are times when that won't be possible and Knoppix may be very useful,
but System Restore isn't an option because it's a Windows program.
--

"Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I have the Knoppix CD to boot into Linux, with full access to all my usual
>system devices, and files.
>
> Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot? I recognize that when
> "problems" do arise, that bootup using "last good configuration" will
> generally get the system to boot, and then of course, System Restore can
> be called upon to go back in time. But if "last good configuration" did
> have some problems booting up, it would be nice to be able to use the
> Knoppix CD.
>
> Ron Hirsch

July 14, 2005 10:47:28 PM

No,you cann't, but you can run system restore from a ERD Commander 2005 boot.

"Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch@adelphia.net> 23NBT$2FiFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have the Knoppix CD to boot into Linux, with full access to all my usual system devices, and files.
>
> Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot? I recognize that when "problems" do arise, that bootup using "last good
> configuration" will generally get the system to boot, and then of course, System Restore can be called upon to go back in time.
> But if "last good configuration" did have some problems booting up, it would be nice to be able to use the Knoppix CD.
>
> Ron Hirsch

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 10:47:29 PM

Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

If I read things correctly, this is a purchased item, and goes for $149 for
a single user. That is a bit steep. I regularly image my C: drive via True
Image. So, I'll have to stay with that choice if I ever reach a point where
I can't boot at all.

Fortunately, in recent years where I've gotten into a bind, and where I had
a real problem, using "last good configuration' did get me back into normal
operation.

Ron Hirsch

+++++++++++++++

"Peter" <Peter@hotmail.com.discuss> wrote in message
news:o OfCyFGiFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> No,you cann't, but you can run system restore from a ERD Commander 2005
> boot.
>

> "Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch@adelphia.net>
> 23NBT$2FiFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>I have the Knoppix CD to boot into Linux, with full access to all my usual
>>system devices, and files.
>>
>> Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot? I recognize that when
>> "problems" do arise, that bootup using "last good configuration" will
>> generally get the system to boot, and then of course, System Restore can
>> be called upon to go back in time. But if "last good configuration" did
>> have some problems booting up, it would be nice to be able to use the
>> Knoppix CD.
>>
>> Ron Hirsch

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:18:06 PM

Hello, You are welcome.
Take Care.
beamish.

"Ron Hirsch" wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
>
> Ron Hirsch

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 5:46:29 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:21:05 -0400, "Ron Hirsch"

>Can System Restore be run from the Linux CD boot?

I'd hardly expect it to work, given that SR is a Windows app that
assumes deep OS congruency, and Linux off CD is neither the right OS,
nor the right installation context.

What you could do from Linux, is pick SR's pockets for things like
registry hive backups, and manually apply these. That requires a deep
knowledge of what you're up to, plus the ability to log (remember what
you've done) and maintain a manual Undo trail.

>...if "last good configuration" did have some problems booting up, it
>would be nice to be able to use the Knoppix CD.

My maintenance OS of choice is Bart's PE, and the reason I've been
scarce in ngs lately is that I've been rather preoccupied with that.

From Bart, and together with the RunScanner plugin, a great deal is
possible; for example, I can run MSConfig, HiJackThis, the full suite
of NirSoft info tools, various data recovery and av apps etc. and have
these operate as if the HD's registry were in effect via RunScanner.

But even from there, I would not let SR off the leash. At the best of
times, SR is a blunt instrument, and faking the OS run state via Bart
is far from the best of times ;-)

"If I'd known it was harmless, I'd have
killed it myself" (PKD)