Questions about rules

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!

Have received an inquiry from Singapore - Would any reader experienced in
this variant and provide some help please?

"Comments: Is there such a pattern for ONE NINE ONE NINE ?
What is the no. of tai?
If we mix Hong Zhong or Fai Cai with ONE NINE ONE NINE, is it still
considered as LIMIT?
if not, what is the no. of tai? Pls advise.
Thanks!"

Regards,
--
Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com

Cofa's unnamed correspondent wrote:

>"Is there such a pattern for ONE NINE ONE NINE ?
>What is the no. of tai?
>If we mix Hong Zhong or Fai Cai with ONE NINE ONE NINE, is it still
>considered as LIMIT?
>if not, what is the no. of tai? Pls advise.

Cofa's correspondent is invited to read FAQ 4b and link to the one known
website that describes Singapore rules in English. However, Cofa's
correspondent is advised to be aware that every table uses different rules.
Especially, tables may vary in the number of doubles (fan or tai) awarded to
different scoring elements. Accordingly, Cofa's correspondent is invited to
read FAQ 14. In looking at that Singapore rules page, I noted that there is
indeed a special score awarded for all terminals ("All one's and nine's
game") and there is also something called "Half one's and nine's game" - but
I don't know what that is exactly.

>And Cofa emailed to me:
>>Just let you know though, The Year of Rooster begins on February 9

Yes, I know.

>>and Chinese don't normally say Gung Hei Fat Choi (or Pinyin = Gong Xi Fa
>>Cai) prior to the New Year Day ^_^

I figured as much. But my Japanese and Korean friends celebrate new year's
on January 1, as do westerners. And I figure "gung hei fa choi" is a
pleasant enough thing to say, but I'm planning to stop saying it on February
10.

--

Tom Sloper
- The Mah-Jongg FAQs. Information and bulletin boards about the game of