hard disk partition making

I have a new hard disk installed on my computer.
I formated it on windows xp.
Now, I would like to create a two partitions on that disk. But, when I go to
disk management I don't have that option.
Why?
5 answers Last reply
More about hard disk partition making

    Hrvoje wrote:

    > I have a new hard disk installed on my computer.
    > I formated it on windows xp.
    > Now, I would like to create a two partitions on that disk. But, when I go to
    > disk management I don't have that option.
    > Why?

    XP does not have the tools for it. Try Partition Magic, now from
    Symantec, or Terabyte Unlimited's BootIt Next Generation (BootIT NG or
    BING).
    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    In news:D98942C5-C81F-463B-90D3-E5D957833BF2@microsoft.com,
    Hrvoje <Hrvoje@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I have a new hard disk installed on my computer.
    > I formated it on windows xp.
    > Now, I would like to create a two partitions on that disk. But,
    > when
    > I go to disk management I don't have that option.

    Because once you've created a partition structure on the
    drive,you can't change it, except by starting over or by using a
    third-party program.

    No version of Windows or DOS has ever had the ability to change
    the partition structure of a drive without losing all the data on
    it. To do so requires the use of a third-party program. Partition
    Magic is the best-known such program, but there are
    shareware/freeware alternatives. One shareware product that gets
    good reports from several MVPs (although I haven't used it
    personally) is Bootit Next Generation.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hrvoje wrote on Thu, 14 Jul 2005 03:58:09 -0700:

    > I have a new hard disk installed on my computer.
    > I formated it on windows xp.
    > Now, I would like to create a two partitions on that disk. But, when I go
    > to disk management I don't have that option.
    > Why?

    With XP you need to create the partitions *before* you install the OS.

    To make changes to the partitions with XP already on the machine, and
    without having to delete the existing partitions and reinstall from scratch,
    get a product like Partition Magic which will allow you to adjust your
    partitions without losing any data.

    Dan

    Have you kept unallocated space on the basic disk where you want to
    create the partition?
    see:-
    How to use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Hrvoje wrote:

    > I have a new hard disk installed on my computer.
    > I formated it on windows xp.
    > Now, I would like to create a two partitions on that disk. But, when I go to
    > disk management I don't have that option.
    > Why?

    There needs to be available unused space to create an additional
    partition(s). If the current partition used the entire hard drive space,
    the user shot his/her self in the foot. Only third party partitioning
    software can shrink a current partition to make available free space on a
    hard drive.
    Partitioning can be done within XP, despite another reply stating otherwise.
    XP does partitioning and formatting in one step visible to the user. Does
    not require use of the install/boot XP CD.
    Assuming the new hard drive does not contain XP, and the partition does not
    contain any critical or personal data, just delete that partition. Then,
    create multiple parititons on that hard drive allowing space for subsequent
    partitions each time.
    "Hrvoje" <Hrvoje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a new hard disk installed on my computer.
    > I formated it on windows xp.
    > Now, I would like to create a two partitions on that disk. But, when I go
    > disk management I don't have that option.
    > Why?

Partition Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP