One More Product Key Question

July 14, 2005 11:34:03 AM

The original disks are out of their sleeves. The sleeves have the product
keys on them. How do I tell which key goes to which disk?

Thanks.. Bob

More about : product key question

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:34:04 AM

The software CDs are labeled as to version, etc. So if
there is a difference in what is installed on the computer
use the indicated CD. All retail XP Pro CDs will work with
a certain range of keys, all XP Home have their range of
keys, ditto for OFFICE, OEM will use a different range of
keys.

As other said on your other post, use BelArc or EVEREST to
get a list of installed software and the PK and serial
numbers.

You just can't mix retail, OEM and oem numbers and you don't
want to use the same number twice. Also, look at the
computer case for the COA and PK. Once you have the disks
sorted, use a safe marker to write the numbers on the top of
the CD and pit them back in the sleeves so they are not
damaged.

some support

"Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
| The original disks are out of their sleeves. The sleeves
have the product
| keys on them. How do I tell which key goes to which disk?
|
| Thanks.. Bob

"|I have two computers and two registered versions of
several Microsoft
programs (most noticeably Office & Win XP). I have mixed up
the disks and
am not sure which one is one which computer. How can I tell
which install
disk was used on which computer?

Thanks in advance... Bob "
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:13:06 PM

As advised earlier download and install Belarc Advisor or,Home Edition
of Everest to check the specific product keys of each software (if both
are installed).
Second method:-manually-trial and error.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Bob Newman wrote:

> The original disks are out of their sleeves. The sleeves have the product
> keys on them. How do I tell which key goes to which disk?
>
> Thanks.. Bob

July 14, 2005 10:59:36 PM

Bob Newman wrote:
> The original disks are out of their sleeves. The sleeves have the product
> keys on them. How do I tell which key goes to which disk?
>
> Thanks.. Bob

Place any OEM CDs into the OEM sleeve(s), and/or place any retail CDs
into the retail sleeve(s).

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 1:34:59 AM

Keep both keys with both disks for the timebeing?

--
Regards

John Waller
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:30:41 PM

That's my problem. I have more than one retail disk of both WinXP & Office

Bob

> Bob Newman wrote:
>> The original disks are out of their sleeves. The sleeves have the
>> product keys on them. How do I tell which key goes to which disk?
>>
>> Thanks.. Bob
>

> Place any OEM CDs into the OEM sleeve(s), and/or place any retail CDs into
> the retail sleeve(s).
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:30:42 PM

Two things:

1) the XP disks should be the same - only the keys are
different (assume you mean multiple copies of XP disks).

2) I also have multiple copies -- what I do when I get
software with install keys is - using a sharpie, write the
key numbers on the CD so when the sleeve manages to
vanish in a stack of something, I still have the key. I also
write which machine I installed it in on the CD (I have
3 copies of XP Pro on 3 machines here).

mikey

"Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o %NBe.37613$up5.7449@lakeread02...
> That's my problem. I have more than one retail disk of both WinXP &
Office

> Bob
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
> > Bob Newman wrote:
> >> The original disks are out of their sleeves. The sleeves have the
> >> product keys on them. How do I tell which key goes to which disk?
> >>
> >> Thanks.. Bob
> >

> > Place any OEM CDs into the OEM sleeve(s), and/or place any retail CDs
into
> > the retail sleeve(s).
> >

> > --
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> > both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 4:13:56 PM

I usually do that to but naturally not this time. I suppose I could just
write both keys on each disk and if it didn't take one I could enter the
other one (that's a pain though).

Bob

"Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Two things:
>
> 1) the XP disks should be the same - only the keys are
> different (assume you mean multiple copies of XP disks).
>
> 2) I also have multiple copies -- what I do when I get
> software with install keys is - using a sharpie, write the
> key numbers on the CD so when the sleeve manages to
> vanish in a stack of something, I still have the key. I also
> write which machine I installed it in on the CD (I have
> 3 copies of XP Pro on 3 machines here).
>
> mikey
>
> "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:o %NBe.37613$up5.7449@lakeread02...
>> That's my problem. I have more than one retail disk of both WinXP &
> Office
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message

>> > Place any OEM CDs into the OEM sleeve(s), and/or place any retail CDs
> into
>> > the retail sleeve(s).
>> >

>> > --
>> >
>> > Bruce Chambers
>> >
>> > Help us help you:
>> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>> >
>> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> > both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 8:30:00 PM

Belarc Advisor ( http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html )
is free and when you run it, it will tell you what the key was you
used on the system. Handy utility. (only way I am aware of
to get the key back from the registry so you can read it )

mikey

!