One More Product Key Question

The original disks are out of their sleeves. The sleeves have the product
keys on them. How do I tell which key goes to which disk?

Thanks.. Bob
8 answers Last reply
More about product question

    The software CDs are labeled as to version, etc. So if
    there is a difference in what is installed on the computer
    use the indicated CD. All retail XP Pro CDs will work with
    a certain range of keys, all XP Home have their range of
    keys, ditto for OFFICE, OEM will use a different range of
    keys.

    As other said on your other post, use BelArc or EVEREST to
    get a list of installed software and the PK and serial
    numbers.

    You just can't mix retail, OEM and oem numbers and you don't
    want to use the same number twice. Also, look at the
    computer case for the COA and PK. Once you have the disks
    sorted, use a safe marker to write the numbers on the top of
    the CD and pit them back in the sleeves so they are not
    damaged.

    some support

    "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
    | The original disks are out of their sleeves. The sleeves
    have the product
    | keys on them. How do I tell which key goes to which disk?
    |
    | Thanks.. Bob

    "|I have two computers and two registered versions of
    several Microsoft
    programs (most noticeably Office & Win XP). I have mixed up
    the disks and
    am not sure which one is one which computer. How can I tell
    which install
    disk was used on which computer?

    Thanks in advance... Bob "

    As advised earlier download and install Belarc Advisor or,Home Edition
    of Everest to check the specific product keys of each software (if both
    are installed).
    Second method:-manually-trial and error.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Bob Newman wrote:
    > The original disks are out of their sleeves. The sleeves have the product
    > keys on them. How do I tell which key goes to which disk?
    >
    > Thanks.. Bob

    Place any OEM CDs into the OEM sleeve(s), and/or place any retail CDs
    into the retail sleeve(s).

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Keep both keys with both disks for the timebeing?

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    That's my problem. I have more than one retail disk of both WinXP & Office

    Bob

    > Bob Newman wrote:
    >> The original disks are out of their sleeves. The sleeves have the
    >> product keys on them. How do I tell which key goes to which disk?
    >>
    >> Thanks.. Bob
    >

    > Place any OEM CDs into the OEM sleeve(s), and/or place any retail CDs into
    > the retail sleeve(s).
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Two things:

    1) the XP disks should be the same - only the keys are
    different (assume you mean multiple copies of XP disks).

    2) I also have multiple copies -- what I do when I get
    software with install keys is - using a sharpie, write the
    key numbers on the CD so when the sleeve manages to
    vanish in a stack of something, I still have the key. I also
    write which machine I installed it in on the CD (I have
    3 copies of XP Pro on 3 machines here).

    mikey

    > That's my problem. I have more than one retail disk of both WinXP &
    Office

    > Bob
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
    > > Bob Newman wrote:
    > >> The original disks are out of their sleeves. The sleeves have the
    > >> product keys on them. How do I tell which key goes to which disk?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.. Bob
    > >

    > > Place any OEM CDs into the OEM sleeve(s), and/or place any retail CDs
    into
    > > the retail sleeve(s).
    > >

    > > --
    > >
    > > Bruce Chambers
    > >
    > > Help us help you:
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    > > both at once. - RAH

    I usually do that to but naturally not this time. I suppose I could just
    write both keys on each disk and if it didn't take one I could enter the
    other one (that's a pain though).

    Bob

    "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Two things:
    >
    > 1) the XP disks should be the same - only the keys are
    > different (assume you mean multiple copies of XP disks).
    >
    > 2) I also have multiple copies -- what I do when I get
    > software with install keys is - using a sharpie, write the
    > key numbers on the CD so when the sleeve manages to
    > vanish in a stack of something, I still have the key. I also
    > write which machine I installed it in on the CD (I have
    > 3 copies of XP Pro on 3 machines here).
    >
    > mikey
    >
    > "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> That's my problem. I have more than one retail disk of both WinXP &
    > Office
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>
    >> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message

    >> > Place any OEM CDs into the OEM sleeve(s), and/or place any retail CDs
    > into
    >> > the retail sleeve(s).
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Bruce Chambers
    >> >
    >> > Help us help you:
    >> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >> >
    >> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    >> > both at once. - RAH

    Belarc Advisor ( http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html )
    is free and when you run it, it will tell you what the key was you
    used on the system. Handy utility. (only way I am aware of
    to get the key back from the registry so you can read it )

    mikey

    > I usually do that to but naturally not this time. I suppose I could just
    > write both keys on each disk and if it didn't take one I could enter the
    > other one (that's a pain though).
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Two things:
    > >
    > > 1) the XP disks should be the same - only the keys are
    > > different (assume you mean multiple copies of XP disks).
    > >
    > > 2) I also have multiple copies -- what I do when I get
    > > software with install keys is - using a sharpie, write the
    > > key numbers on the CD so when the sleeve manages to
    > > vanish in a stack of something, I still have the key. I also
    > > write which machine I installed it in on the CD (I have
    > > 3 copies of XP Pro on 3 machines here).
    > >
    > > mikey
    > >
    > > "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
    > >> That's my problem. I have more than one retail disk of both WinXP &
    > > Office
    > >>
    > >> Bob
    > >>
    > >> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message

    > > into