Access is denied error message

Hi

I have some cd's which I cannot access on my XP system. When I try to read
one of the CDs, but there is a message stating "SONIC DLA - your version of
DLA can read files on this disc but you will not be able to edit or add to
them". When I try to accessing the other CD, there is an error message
stating "d:\ is not accessible. access is denied". I did try to install UDF
Reader, but I still couldn't access the CDs.

Please can someone let me know how I can possibly fix this and what the
'Sonic DLA' message means to.

I look forward to hearing back from you.
Julia
9 answers Last reply
More about access denied error message

    Hi Julia,
    Disable DLA.
    Open My Computer>Right-Click on your CD burner
    drive>Properties>Left-Click on the DLA tab>Left-Click to UNCHECK the
    check-box next to the line that says, "ENABLE DLA ON YOUR DRIVES">Apply/Ok.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Julia wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have some cd's which I cannot access on my XP system. When I try to read
    > one of the CDs, but there is a message stating "SONIC DLA - your version of
    > DLA can read files on this disc but you will not be able to edit or add to
    > them". When I try to accessing the other CD, there is an error message
    > stating "d:\ is not accessible. access is denied". I did try to install UDF
    > Reader, but I still couldn't access the CDs.
    >
    > Please can someone let me know how I can possibly fix this and what the
    > 'Sonic DLA' message means to.
    >
    > I look forward to hearing back from you.
    > Julia

    I unchecked "Enable DLA on your drives" as described, and I'm still getting
    the error message stating "d:\ is not accessible. access is denied".

    Can you please let me know why I get - "SONIC DLA - your version of DLA can
    read files on this disc but you will not be able to edit or add to them"? I
    did try uncheck the check you mentioned but then then I got "Access is
    Denied". This is for the CD I can access.

    Any ideas?

    Thank you.

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Julia,
    > Disable DLA.
    > Open My Computer>Right-Click on your CD burner drive>Properties>Left-Click
    > on the DLA tab>Left-Click to UNCHECK the check-box next to the line that
    > says, "ENABLE DLA ON YOUR DRIVES">Apply/Ok.
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > Julia wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have some cd's which I cannot access on my XP system. When I try to
    >> read one of the CDs, but there is a message stating "SONIC DLA - your
    >> version of DLA can read files on this disc but you will not be able to
    >> edit or add to them". When I try to accessing the other CD, there is an
    >> error message stating "d:\ is not accessible. access is denied". I did
    >> try to install UDF Reader, but I still couldn't access the CDs.
    >>
    >> Please can someone let me know how I can possibly fix this and what the
    >> 'Sonic DLA' message means to.
    >>
    >> I look forward to hearing back from you.
    >> Julia

    Hi,
    see if it helps:-
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/rsm_permissions.mspx

    Sonic DLA to supposedly enhance CD/R and DVD/R disc recording.So you are
    getting that error.Update the driver.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
    >I unchecked "Enable DLA on your drives" as described, and I'm still getting
    >the error message stating "d:\ is not accessible. access is denied".
    >
    > Can you please let me know why I get - "SONIC DLA - your version of DLA
    > can read files on this disc but you will not be able to edit or add to
    > them"? I did try uncheck the check you mentioned but then then I got
    > "Access is Denied". This is for the CD I can access.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Julia,
    >> Disable DLA.
    >> Open My Computer>Right-Click on your CD burner
    >> drive>Properties>Left-Click on the DLA tab>Left-Click to UNCHECK the
    >> check-box next to the line that says, "ENABLE DLA ON YOUR
    >> DRIVES">Apply/Ok.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >>
    >> Julia wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I have some cd's which I cannot access on my XP system. When I try to
    >>> read one of the CDs, but there is a message stating "SONIC DLA - your
    >>> version of DLA can read files on this disc but you will not be able to
    >>> edit or add to them". When I try to accessing the other CD, there is an
    >>> error message stating "d:\ is not accessible. access is denied". I did
    >>> try to install UDF Reader, but I still couldn't access the CDs.
    >>>
    >>> Please can someone let me know how I can possibly fix this and what the
    >>> 'Sonic DLA' message means to.
    >>>
    >>> I look forward to hearing back from you.
    >>> Julia

    The error I am now getting is 'Please insert a disk in Drive D". I followed
    the link and I cannot get as far as the Properties, as the error appears
    before that.

    I will go to the website in order to try to update the drivers.

    Any ideas at all?

    > Hi,
    > see if it helps:-
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/rsm_permissions.mspx
    >
    > Sonic DLA to supposedly enhance CD/R and DVD/R disc recording.So you are
    > getting that error.Update the driver.
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>I unchecked "Enable DLA on your drives" as described, and I'm still
    >>getting the error message stating "d:\ is not accessible. access is
    >>denied".
    >>
    >> Can you please let me know why I get - "SONIC DLA - your version of DLA
    >> can read files on this disc but you will not be able to edit or add to
    >> them"? I did try uncheck the check you mentioned but then then I got
    >> "Access is Denied". This is for the CD I can access.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>

    >> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Julia,
    >>> Disable DLA.
    >>> Open My Computer>Right-Click on your CD burner
    >>> drive>Properties>Left-Click on the DLA tab>Left-Click to UNCHECK the
    >>> check-box next to the line that says, "ENABLE DLA ON YOUR
    >>> DRIVES">Apply/Ok.
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>> ssg MS-MVP

    You are making me confused.Last time you were getting different error(d:\ is
    not accessible. access is denied) ,now you are getting something different.
    Try starting without a disk and insert one when asked.

    > The error I am now getting is 'Please insert a disk in Drive D". I
    > followed the link and I cannot get as far as the Properties, as the error
    > appears before that.
    >
    > I will go to the website in order to try to update the drivers.
    >
    > Any ideas at all?
    >

    > "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> see if it helps:-
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/rsm_permissions.mspx
    >>
    >> Sonic DLA to supposedly enhance CD/R and DVD/R disc recording.So you are
    >> getting that error.Update the driver.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >>
    >> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I unchecked "Enable DLA on your drives" as described, and I'm still
    >>>getting the error message stating "d:\ is not accessible. access is
    >>>denied".
    >>>
    >>> Can you please let me know why I get - "SONIC DLA - your version of DLA
    >>> can read files on this disc but you will not be able to edit or add to
    >>> them"? I did try uncheck the check you mentioned but then then I got
    >>> "Access is Denied". This is for the CD I can access.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>

    >>> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message

    I know it's a confusing for me to. I restarted my system, put the cd in and
    I am now getting 'D:\ Is not accessible. Invalid Function'. This is a
    different message from the previous one.

    Julia

    > You are making me confused.Last time you were getting different error(d:\
    > is not accessible. access is denied) ,now you are getting something
    > different.
    > Try starting without a disk and insert one when asked.
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> The error I am now getting is 'Please insert a disk in Drive D". I
    >> followed the link and I cannot get as far as the Properties, as the error
    >> appears before that.
    >>
    >> I will go to the website in order to try to update the drivers.
    >>
    >> Any ideas at all?
    >>

    >> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> see if it helps:-
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/rsm_permissions.mspx
    >>>
    >>> Sonic DLA to supposedly enhance CD/R and DVD/R disc recording.So you are
    >>> getting that error.Update the driver.
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>> ssg MS-MVP
    >>>
    >>> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message

    I had the invalid function message with my DVD drive - I did a Repair
    install of XP and that fixed the problem. Nothing else worked, even a
    tech support call to MS didn't help.
    --
    Anne Onimos
    http://losingsanity.blogspot.com

    >I know it's a confusing for me to. I restarted my system, put the cd
    >in and I am now getting 'D:\ Is not accessible. Invalid Function'.
    >This is a different message from the previous one.
    >
    > Julia
    >

    > "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> You are making me confused.Last time you were getting different
    >> error(d:\ is not accessible. access is denied) ,now you are getting
    >> something different.
    >> Try starting without a disk and insert one when asked.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >>
    >> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>> The error I am now getting is 'Please insert a disk in Drive D". I
    >>> followed the link and I cannot get as far as the Properties, as the
    >>> error appears before that.
    >>>
    >>> I will go to the website in order to try to update the drivers.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas at all?
    >>>

    >>> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message

    How did you repair XP? My system is new and I wouldn't think I would need
    to do that ...?

    "Anne Onimos" <techgirl@houston.rr.mypanties.com> wrote in message
    >I had the invalid function message with my DVD drive - I did a Repair
    >install of XP and that fixed the problem. Nothing else worked, even a tech
    >support call to MS didn't help.
    > --
    > Anne Onimos
    > http://losingsanity.blogspot.com
    > techgirl@houston.rr.mypanties.com
    > Figure out what to remove if you want to email me ;-)
    >
    > "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>I know it's a confusing for me to. I restarted my system, put the cd in
    >>and I am now getting 'D:\ Is not accessible. Invalid Function'. This is a
    >>different message from the previous one.
    >>
    >> Julia
    >>

    >> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> You are making me confused.Last time you were getting different
    >>> error(d:\ is not accessible. access is denied) ,now you are getting
    >>> something different.
    >>> Try starting without a disk and insert one when asked.
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>> ssg MS-MVP
    >>>
    >>> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message

    "Incorrect function" error message when you access the CD-ROM drive, the
    DVD-ROM drive, or the CD-RW drive
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315350

    It may be also due to:-
    Error: "Drive <x:> is not accessible. Incorrect function" when accessing
    a CD or removable drive after installing Norton AntiVirus

    http://tinyurl.com/2ljs6

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

CD-Rom Error Message Windows XP