smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

If I use the XP Home "repair install" option, will any personal settings be
erased? For instance, will I lose email and settings in outlook, have to
re-setup my AOL, lose saved files and such? Or will it just replace missing
corrupted system files?

Thanks.

Repair will preserve User Data & Settings. You'll loose any Hotfixes
or Service Packs released after the XP version (Gold, Sp1) CD-ROM.
However, I wouldn't attempt any major operation like this without
personal data being backed up or a System Image taken, Just in case.

Murphy's Law was created with Personal Computers in mind.
There is no such thing as having too many backups of a computer.

"Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote in message
> If I use the XP Home "repair install" option, will any personal settings
> be erased? For instance, will I lose email and settings in outlook, have
> to re-setup my AOL, lose saved files and such? Or will it just replace
> missing corrupted system files?
>
> Thanks.

Alias

"Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote

> If I use the XP Home "repair install" option, will any personal settings
> be erased? For instance, will I lose email and settings in outlook, have
> to re-setup my AOL, lose saved files and such? Or will it just replace
> missing corrupted system files?
>
> Thanks.

If you have AOL on your computer, do a clean install (the only way to really
get AOL scumware off your machine) and never, ever, put AOL on your computer
again, unless, of course, you want to screw up your computer again.

--
Alias

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

Hehe, not my machine, am messing with it for someone else. I know how evil
AOL is, but it's what they use so I'm screwed :\

Thanks for all the answers guys.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote
>
>> If I use the XP Home "repair install" option, will any personal settings
>> be erased? For instance, will I lose email and settings in outlook, have
>> to re-setup my AOL, lose saved files and such? Or will it just replace
>> missing corrupted system files?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> If you have AOL on your computer, do a clean install (the only way to
> really get AOL scumware off your machine) and never, ever, put AOL on your
> computer again, unless, of course, you want to screw up your computer
> again.
>
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Alias

Tell them to use something else and why.

--
Alias

"Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote
> Hehe, not my machine, am messing with it for someone else. I know how
> evil AOL is, but it's what they use so I'm screwed :\
>
> Thanks for all the answers guys.
>
> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote
>>
>>> If I use the XP Home "repair install" option, will any personal settings
>>> be erased? For instance, will I lose email and settings in outlook,
>>> have to re-setup my AOL, lose saved files and such? Or will it just
>>> replace missing corrupted system files?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> If you have AOL on your computer, do a clean install (the only way to
>> really get AOL scumware off your machine) and never, ever, put AOL on
>> your computer again, unless, of course, you want to screw up your
>> computer again.
>>
>> --
>> Alias
>>
>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

A Repair Install will replace the missing or,corrupted system files with
the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install.
It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates
will need to be reapplied.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP