making a P3 733Mhz boot faster (on the Cheap!)

hello

i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::

P3 733Mhz
128Mb RAM
13GB

i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.

i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it
was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?

also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.

now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!

i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!

thanks for your help

andrew
10 answers Last reply
More about making 733mhz boot faster cheap

    128-Megabytes of memory isn't enough for XP. 733 Mhz CPU
    should be fine. Unless you want to spend 5-7 hours "Tuning and
    Tweaking", I would just go and buy a 128-Meg stick of SDRAM
    (If you can find it). Some office supply stores still have it on the
    shelf (Office Max, Staples). Otherwise, turn off GUI "Eye Candy"
    by using Classic Theme, Lower Video Color depth to 16-bit or
    medium. You can disable Services down to around a core count
    of around 25, but that still will use around 160 Megabytes, so
    before you ever open the 1st app your PC will be doing a fair
    amount of Paging.

    <andrew.penny@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > hello
    >
    > i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::
    >
    > P3 733Mhz
    > 128Mb RAM
    > 13GB
    >
    > i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.
    >
    > i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it
    > was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
    > computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?
    >
    > also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.
    >
    > now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!
    >
    > i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!
    >
    > thanks for your help
    >
    > andrew

    andrew.penny@gmail.com wrote:

    > hello
    >
    > i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::
    >
    > P3 733Mhz
    > 128Mb RAM
    > 13GB
    >
    > i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.
    >
    > i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it
    > was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
    > computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?
    >
    > also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.
    >
    > now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!
    >
    > i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!
    >
    > thanks for your help
    >
    > andrew

    Increase the Ram. 128MB is not enough. Depending on what programs you
    plan to run, go to either 256MB or 512MB. Note that adding another ram
    stick to what you have can be tricky. XP is finicky. The Ram needs to
    be perfectly matched. Even getting the same brand / size, since they
    are such different ages, might not work. Best is to get a single stick
    of the larger capacity RAM.

    Remove any unneeded startup programs. Go to Start | Run. Type in
    msconfig. Click ok. On the startup tab look at all the programs
    starting and decide which ones you want to keep. If you're not sure of
    what a particular entry is, check these resources:

    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
    http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html

    For services see this:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
    http://web.archive.org/web/20041128094512/http://www.blackviper.com/

    For programs you don't want to run at startup the first step should be
    to check in the options for the program to see if there is a setting to
    tell it not to run at startup. The next step is to remove any entries
    you don't want from the two startup folders:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    For anything else uncheck their entries in the startup tab of msconfig:
    Start | Run | Msconfig | Ok

    Another option is to remove the reference to them from one of these keys
    in the registry:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    Make sure you have a backup of the registry using a program like ERUNT
    before making any changes to the registry.

    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

    Make sure the system is clean of viruses and other parasites. Make sure
    the antivirus program is a recent one with up to date definitions.

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Rock" wrote:
    > Remove any unneeded startup programs. Go to Start | Run. Type in
    > msconfig. Click ok. On the startup tab look at all the programs
    > starting and decide which ones you want to keep.
    > [.......]
    > For programs you don't want to run at startup the first step should be
    > to check in the options for the program to see if there is a setting to
    > tell it not to run at startup. The next step is to remove any entries
    > you don't want from the two startup folders:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu
    > \Programs\Startup
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    > \Programs\Startup
    >
    > For anything else uncheck their entries in the startup tab of msconfig:
    > Start | Run | Msconfig | Ok
    >
    > Another option is to remove the reference to them from one of these
    > keys in the registry:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > \CurrentVersion\Run
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > \CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    > \CurrentVersion\Run
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    > \CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    I find that the Startup folders contain shortcuts to programs
    that appear when I click on the Start button at the bottom left
    of the screen. I was under the impression that these programs
    start when one clicks on their icons. Are you saying that all
    these programs start at boot time? Does their removal from
    the Startup folders remove references to them in the registry
    upon the next bootup?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "Rock" wrote:
    >
    >> Remove any unneeded startup programs. Go to Start | Run. Type in
    >> msconfig. Click ok. On the startup tab look at all the programs
    >> starting and decide which ones you want to keep.
    >> [.......]
    >> For programs you don't want to run at startup the first step should be
    >> to check in the options for the program to see if there is a setting
    >> to tell it not to run at startup. The next step is to remove any
    >> entries you don't want from the two startup folders:
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu
    >> \Programs\Startup
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    >> \Programs\Startup
    >>
    >> For anything else uncheck their entries in the startup tab of msconfig:
    >> Start | Run | Msconfig | Ok
    >>
    >> Another option is to remove the reference to them from one of these
    >> keys in the registry:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    >> \CurrentVersion\Run
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    >> \CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    >> \CurrentVersion\Run
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    >> \CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    >

    > I find that the Startup folders contain shortcuts to programs
    > that appear when I click on the Start button at the bottom left
    > of the screen. I was under the impression that these programs
    > start when one clicks on their icons. Are you saying that all
    > these programs start at boot time? Does their removal from
    > the Startup folders remove references to them in the registry
    > upon the next bootup?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    What shows on the Start menu are all the entries in the Start Menu
    folder including the entries in the Startup folder. Shortcuts in the
    two startup folders start when windows starts. That's why they are
    called that. No - removing them from the startup folders does not
    remove their entries from the registry. The programs are still installed.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    You can get any kind of RAM at http://www.crucial.com/ The OP should put
    512MB, not 256MB.

    --
    Alias

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote
    > 128-Megabytes of memory isn't enough for XP. 733 Mhz CPU
    > should be fine. Unless you want to spend 5-7 hours "Tuning and
    > Tweaking", I would just go and buy a 128-Meg stick of SDRAM
    > (If you can find it). Some office supply stores still have it on the
    > shelf (Office Max, Staples). Otherwise, turn off GUI "Eye Candy"
    > by using Classic Theme, Lower Video Color depth to 16-bit or
    > medium. You can disable Services down to around a core count
    > of around 25, but that still will use around 160 Megabytes, so
    > before you ever open the 1st app your PC will be doing a fair
    > amount of Paging.
    >
    > <andrew.penny@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> hello
    >>
    >> i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::
    >>
    >> P3 733Mhz
    >> 128Mb RAM
    >> 13GB
    >>
    >> i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.
    >>
    >> i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it
    >> was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
    >> computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?
    >>
    >> also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.
    >>
    >> now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!
    >>
    >> i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!
    >>
    >> thanks for your help
    >>
    >> andrew

    His stated criteria was "Cheap", which tempered my recommendation
    to getting only an additional 128 Megabytes.

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    > You can get any kind of RAM at http://www.crucial.com/ The OP should put
    > 512MB, not 256MB.
    >
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >
    > "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote
    >> 128-Megabytes of memory isn't enough for XP. 733 Mhz CPU
    >> should be fine. Unless you want to spend 5-7 hours "Tuning and
    >> Tweaking", I would just go and buy a 128-Meg stick of SDRAM
    >> (If you can find it). Some office supply stores still have it on the
    >> shelf (Office Max, Staples). Otherwise, turn off GUI "Eye Candy"
    >> by using Classic Theme, Lower Video Color depth to 16-bit or
    >> medium. You can disable Services down to around a core count
    >> of around 25, but that still will use around 160 Megabytes, so
    >> before you ever open the 1st app your PC will be doing a fair
    >> amount of Paging.
    >>
    >> <andrew.penny@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> hello
    >>>
    >>> i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::
    >>>
    >>> P3 733Mhz
    >>> 128Mb RAM
    >>> 13GB
    >>>
    >>> i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.
    >>>
    >>> i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it
    >>> was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
    >>> computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?
    >>>
    >>> also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.
    >>>
    >>> now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!
    >>>
    >>> i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!
    >>>
    >>> thanks for your help
    >>>
    >>> andrew

    256 isn't enough, cheap or otherwise.

    --
    Alias

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote

    > His stated criteria was "Cheap", which tempered my recommendation
    > to getting only an additional 128 Megabytes.
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >> You can get any kind of RAM at http://www.crucial.com/ The OP should put
    >> 512MB, not 256MB.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >>
    >> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote
    >>> 128-Megabytes of memory isn't enough for XP. 733 Mhz CPU
    >>> should be fine. Unless you want to spend 5-7 hours "Tuning and
    >>> Tweaking", I would just go and buy a 128-Meg stick of SDRAM
    >>> (If you can find it). Some office supply stores still have it on the
    >>> shelf (Office Max, Staples). Otherwise, turn off GUI "Eye Candy"
    >>> by using Classic Theme, Lower Video Color depth to 16-bit or
    >>> medium. You can disable Services down to around a core count
    >>> of around 25, but that still will use around 160 Megabytes, so
    >>> before you ever open the 1st app your PC will be doing a fair
    >>> amount of Paging.
    >>>
    >>> <andrew.penny@gmail.com> wrote in message

    256 is ample for most things I run hundreds of pc's and laptops with 256 of
    varying processor power from P11 400mhz upwards
    --
    there are no problems just challenges

    In news:uZIDyNHiFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Alias <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> typed:

    > 256 isn't enough, cheap or otherwise.

    I don't agree with that at all. This is not a one-size-fits-all
    situation and 256MB is fine for many people.
    How much memory you need depends on what apps you run, but almost
    everyone needs at least 256MB for decent performance. For some
    people, for example those who edit large photographic images,
    more than 256MB--even much more--can be required for good
    performance.

    If you are currently using the page file significantly, more
    memory will decrease or eliminate that usage, and improve your
    performance. If you are not using the page file significantly,
    more memory will do nothing for you.

    Go to http://billsway.com/notes%5Fpublic/winxp%5Ftweaks/ and
    download WinXP-2K_Pagefile.zip and monitor your pagefile usage.
    That should give you a good idea of whether more memory can help,
    and if so, how much more.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "steve.a" <stevea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > 256 is ample for most things I run hundreds of pc's and laptops with 256
    > of
    > varying processor power from P11 400mhz upwards

    The word isn't "ample" but "slow". If you like waiting for your programs to
    open, yes, it is enough. If you like snappy reactions and plan to do any
    photo work, it isn't and you know it.

    --
    Alias

    > there are no problems just challenges
    >

    > "Alias" wrote:
    >
    >> 256 isn't enough, cheap or otherwise.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >>
    >> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote
    >>
    >> > His stated criteria was "Cheap", which tempered my recommendation
    >> > to getting only an additional 128 Megabytes.
    >> >
    >> > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

Boot Microsoft Windows XP