Make a P3 733MHz boot (Run) faster

hello

i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::

P3 733Mhz
128Mb RAM
13GB

i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.

i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it

was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?

also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.

now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!

i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!

thanks for your help

andrew
4 answers Last reply
More about make 733mhz boot faster

    All you need is more RAM. Take it up to 512MB and it should run fine. You
    can get well priced and good ram at http://www.crucial.com/

    --
    Alias

    <andrew.pennynospam@checkmyfile.com> wrote

    > hello
    >

    > i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::
    >

    > P3 733Mhz
    > 128Mb RAM
    > 13GB
    >

    > i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.
    >

    > i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it
    >
    > was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
    > computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?
    >

    > also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.
    >

    > now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!
    >

    > i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!
    >

    > thanks for your help
    >

    > andrew

    Ideal candidate for Windows Millenium Edition. Otherwise, dump some more
    RAM in the case.

    <andrew.pennynospam@checkmyfile.com> wrote in message
    > hello
    >

    > i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::
    >

    > P3 733Mhz
    > 128Mb RAM
    > 13GB
    >

    > i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.
    >

    > i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it
    >
    > was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
    > computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?
    >

    > also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.
    >

    > now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!
    >

    > i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!
    >

    > thanks for your help
    >

    > andrew

    ACK, maybe Win98se but never ME

    Lil' Dave wrote:

    > Ideal candidate for Windows Millenium Edition. Otherwise, dump some more
    > RAM in the case.
    >
    > <andrew.pennynospam@checkmyfile.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>hello
    >>

    >>i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::
    >>

    >>P3 733Mhz
    >>128Mb RAM
    >>13GB
    >>

    >>i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.
    >>

    >>i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it
    >>
    >>was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
    >>computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?
    >>

    >>also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.
    >>

    >>now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!
    >>

    >>i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!
    >>

    >>thanks for your help
    >>

    >>andrew

    Thanks for all your help!