Make a P3 733MHz boot (Run) faster

July 14, 2005 9:24:41 AM

hello

i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::

P3 733Mhz
128Mb RAM
13GB

i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.

i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it

was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?

also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.

now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!

i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!

thanks for your help

andrew
July 14, 2005 6:35:13 PM

All you need is more RAM. Take it up to 512MB and it should run fine. You
can get well priced and good ram at http://www.crucial.com/

--
Alias

<andrew.pennynospam@checkmyfile.com> wrote

> hello
>

> i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::
>

> P3 733Mhz
> 128Mb RAM
> 13GB
>

> i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.
>

> i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it
>
> was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
> computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?
>

> also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.
>

> now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!
>

> i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!
>

> thanks for your help
>

> andrew

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 9:09:02 AM

Ideal candidate for Windows Millenium Edition. Otherwise, dump some more
RAM in the case.

<andrew.pennynospam@checkmyfile.com> wrote in message
> hello
>

> i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::
>

> P3 733Mhz
> 128Mb RAM
> 13GB
>

> i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.
>

> i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it
>
> was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
> computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?
>

> also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.
>

> now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!
>

> i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!
>

> thanks for your help
>

> andrew

July 15, 2005 1:05:48 PM

ACK, maybe Win98se but never ME

Lil' Dave wrote:

> Ideal candidate for Windows Millenium Edition. Otherwise, dump some more
> RAM in the case.
>
> <andrew.pennynospam@checkmyfile.com> wrote in message
>
>>hello
>>

>>i have been given a old P3 733MHz, detials are:::
>>

>>P3 733Mhz
>>128Mb RAM
>>13GB
>>

>>i have put on XP but it takes ages to boot.
>>

>>i read somewhere that you can disable services to speed up booting. it
>>
>>was something to do with disabling the network services. since the
>>computer is not to be used on a network, which services can i disable?
>>

>>also is there any thing else i can do to make it boot faster.
>>

>>now heres the catch!! it has to be on the very cheap!
>>

>>i dont want to spend loads on a old PC!
>>

>>thanks for your help
>>

>>andrew

Anonymous