HP HDX16T Series good price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie46227

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Mainly for general use. Thought I might want to hook up to my projector for Netflix and also do a little PhotoShop work on it. No gaming. Anyway, I found this online for $799 and I'm wondering if it is a good value. Any others I should be looking at?

specs:

HP HDX16t Premium Series customizable Notebook PC

NK606AV

* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
* Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
* FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* FREE Upgrade to 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive from 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
* 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
* 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1366x768)
* LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
* Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid)
* Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth
* HP Integrated HDTV Hybrid Tuner
* HP Color Matching Keyboard
* 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
* No Productivity Software
* HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Charlie46227

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Thanks. I'm just at a loss as to what exactly I should be looking for. The more I read, the more I want, and then I get confused as to what I really need ! Ideally, I'd like to go cheap on a laptop and then get a good desktop. But I don't know how much I need (in real world terms what should be enough?) I would like it to have a good screen (eyes aren't what they used to be) and be able to hook up to my DLP projector for TV viewing (I've been using OTA digital with it for 3+ years :) . But that projector uses DVI, so I guess I need to find out if there is a way to export a good signal from the laptop for movies. Is there such a thing as a 'simple' HDMI to DVI converter (with audio signal going to my receiver)? Or component out on a laptop? Arggghhh. Plus my DSL router is upstairs on a desktop unit, so the laptop would need reliable wireless connectivity.

ANY help is appreciated.

Upendra09

Distinguished
The DV7 has all the wireless you will need. But for connections, the laptop will be too far advanced than ur projector, you might have to get a converter, or use the VGA connector. The screen size will also be big enough

You can hook your projector up using VGA, HDMI or DVI. They make converters for all of them. However, unless you get a sound cable to run from your laptop to the project or your Receiver, you are out of luck. HDMI is the only output that is capable of both video and sound and when you use a converter, you loose the sound. End of story. You can find S-video on some laptops, but again no sound.

Almost all laptops nowadays are equipped with wireless built in that will be adequate for just about any job.

Charlie46227

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Thanks. Wasn't sure if they even made a converter. Currently I run the OTA signal to an old cable box (that has a tuner in it), DVI out to projector and the sound to my receiver. Works great. With HDMI out from a computer I'm not sure how to split the sound off of it. I doubt anything other than HDMI or component out would give me a good enough image. If I run the sound separately out of the laptop would it be high quality signal to my receiver?

Thanks to all who have responded. Currently I'm leaning towards ordering through Sager as my son loves the one I bought for him last year. But the above system seems to be a better value to me. It's really psychologically hard for me to go too cheaply on this, even though I don't expect it to be worked too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.