Partition Questions

drvtec42

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2004
hi,

heres the deal.
C: = 80gig
D: = 120gig music/video
there both stuffed and C: is running horribly.

I have a new drive that i would like to do a fresh install of XP Pro onto.

i wanted to be able to plug it into D: connector and use partition magic to install XP to it. and then later be able to boot to that disk while being able to see and selectivly move stuff from the original C:

but what i have found is that i have to install the second copy of xp back onto the original C:
I know i can move partitions from 1 disk to another but will the new XP partition move OK?

or can i
1, plug my C: into the D: connector.
2, plug the new drive into C: connector.
3, boot from XP install disk and install onto fresh drive.
4, then be able to see the original C: like i use to see the original D:.

Thank you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
XP will automatically try to reinstall to any drive that already has an installation, putting only a couple boot files on the C: drive. The solution is simple!
1.) Pull the original C: drive
2.) Do your XP installation
3.) Add the original C: drive to the D: position.

That way, the old drive won't be there durring the installation and will be added after the installation is done. And yes, you'll be able to access it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Do what Crash says, but to make access to your personal stuff in the My Documents folder on the *new* D: drive easily accessible later, move them all to a Shared folder.

If you still find folders you can't access do a search in the XP forum for "Taking ownership" of these files from your new OS.

....WW (5.0)

drvtec42

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2004
Thanks guys. i will do that.

OK ONE LAST THING.

i have created a 5gig partion on the new drive.
will windows be able to install to that partion?

drvtec42

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2004
i only want windows on the 5gig partition.
thats all it needs correct?

and i need to make a partition for the swap file on D: right? 5gig?

im just worried that i wont be able to point my start menu links in the right direction.
i tried to make the my pictures link, link to d: but it wouldnt let me.
i may just have to remove those links and create my own short cuts. on the start menu.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you install Win XP and plan to use System Restore, it might not be enough and it could cause performance problems. Set it at least 10GB.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
My windows install is on a 10GB partition and the swap file set at 2048MBs is on a seperate drive/4GB partition. Also have seperate partitions for another OS, music, games, video, backup images...in all there are 10 partitions on 4 seperate drives.

Once you use your system for awhile that 5GB partition will probably become to cramped for the OS and start causing you problems.

....WW (5.0)