Sign in with
Your question

sound rendering with the GPU

Last response: in Components
December 31, 2004 11:28:43 AM

One of my friends brought to my attention last night, that he heard of a program that was able to make the graphicscard, with it's powerful gpu and fast ram, render the sound in "co-op" with the cpu/ram.

Anyone heard of such a program?

I've read about actual hardware soundcards based on graphicscard architecture, but they were still on the drawing table. Though ecxellent news for musicmakers.

Abit IC7 Max II Adv.- P4E3.0@3.6 - CNPS7000B-CU - i875P - 1024mb dual ddr400 3-2-2-5 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(buttom/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

More about : sound rendering gpu

January 1, 2005 4:57:57 AM

I haven't heard of it, but it IS possible, or at least appears to be. There are, after all, programs that can use your GPU as a second CPU (using the programable functions), they were in the news around 1-2 years ago.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 1, 2005 7:59:36 PM

cool, all I need is to find the software then... My mates 2.8C w 512mb singlechannel can't hack it with excessive use of VSTs etc. in Cusebase SX.

The late news i spoke of regarded an actual card.. think about a soundcard looking like a graphicscard :D  sweet..

Abit IC7 Max II Adv.- P4E3.0@3.6 - CNPS7000B-CU - i875P - 1024mb dual ddr400 3-2-2-5 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(buttom/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b
Related resources
January 1, 2005 9:22:13 PM

I've been telling people since 1998 that if a video card could be linked to a soundcard, the soundcard could use the geometry engine to calculate sound source positioning in games. About 3 or 4 years ago I started suggesting putting both on the same chip, but it wasn't until a couple months ago that people started listening!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 2, 2005 2:45:34 AM

Then how to produce analog signal since there isn't any audio jack on graphic cards?

If using onboard's jack, how the data route will be? Data - CPU - GPU - CPU - onboard sound processor - output? Not something good I think.
January 2, 2005 4:11:37 AM

The original question was whether or not a programable graphics chip could calculate sound. Well, it's possible, since graphics chips have been programed to perform alternative functions. Now, that doesn't give you a sound output, but it could be used to perform the sound processing functions normally done by the CPU, with the data fed back into the bus and output via an AC97 codec sound system for example.

We're all talking about theory here. You have to either create the application, or rely on someone else to do it.

January 4, 2005 4:10:20 PM

I read it in the newspaper this summer, i think it was, it will probrably take some time before we see actual cards. The thing is that the price for professional soundcards are absolutely insane, my before-mentioned friend bought a Pulsar XTC; being a "midrange-pro-card" it "only" cost the price of two or three computers !O_o! He ended up selling it again though, and stuck with his Santa Cruz and a pair of extremely nice monitors.

Heh.. you should have stressed the right people back in '98 ;) 

still need to find that piece of software though...

!