Can't rename folders in Windows Explorer

Hi

I'm using Windows XP Home and I have a persistent problem that is driving me
nuts!

When I am renaming folders in Windows Explorer I am often prevented from
doing so with the error message: 'Access is denied'. Sometimes I can rename
the folder if I click off it and try again, but this is hit and miss. The
only way I can be sure of succeeding is by turning my computer off and back
on again.

Does anyone have any idea why it's happening and how I can prevent it?
--

Many thanks
JD

    Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Jackie D" wrote:

    | Hi
    |
    | I'm using Windows XP Home and I have a persistent problem that is driving me
    | nuts!
    |
    | When I am renaming folders in Windows Explorer I am often prevented from
    | doing so with the error message: 'Access is denied'. Sometimes I can rename
    | the folder if I click off it and try again, but this is hit and miss. The
    | only way I can be sure of succeeding is by turning my computer off and back
    | on again.
    |
    | Does anyone have any idea why it's happening and how I can prevent it?
    | --
    |

    | Many thanks
    | JD

    Hi Carey

    I tried to follow the advice in 'error message when you try to open a
    folder' but two things occur to me: I'm not having trouble opening a folder
    and I can't see an option for 'file sharing' in the view tab anyway.

    However, I may not having given enough information about the error message.
    Here is the text of the error message:

    'Cannot rename file: access is denied. Make sure the disc is not fall or
    write protected and that the file is not currently in use'

    I think the 'not currently in use' bit is the key to my problem but I'm
    still scratching my head!
    --

    Many thanks
    JD

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    >
    > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Jackie D" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi
    > |
    > | I'm using Windows XP Home and I have a persistent problem that is driving me
    > | nuts!
    > |
    > | When I am renaming folders in Windows Explorer I am often prevented from
    > | doing so with the error message: 'Access is denied'. Sometimes I can rename
    > | the folder if I click off it and try again, but this is hit and miss. The
    > | only way I can be sure of succeeding is by turning my computer off and back
    > | on again.
    > |
    > | Does anyone have any idea why it's happening and how I can prevent it?
    > | --
    > |

    > | Many thanks
    > | JD

Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows XP