ainokea

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I was using my XPS 400 just fine one day, then the next morning I go to power it on and it won't budge. The power button/LED just blinks orange (vice green when its powered on), the ethernet light blinks, and a green LED on the motherboard remains lit even when no power is supplied to the computer at all.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006

Usually a blinking amber power light indicates there is a failure on one or more of your PSU rails. Typically stripping your system down to bare essentials, trying to power on, will tell you wether it's a device causing the problem or the power supply/motherboard causing the problem.

ainokea

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Happened to see someone bump a old thread on the same problem I was having, and after reading through it seen the common factors were the PSU, Motherboard, or CPU. As its a system I was planning on recycling some parts and upgrading others and just throwing it in another case, I purchased another PSU for about 40 bucks and will try that first. If that doesn't work I'll try the motherboard next, then lastly, the CPU. Never going to go with a prebuilt system again, especially a Dell!