What does system handheld overwrite mean?

September 21, 2004 12:46:34 PM

I am a new user. Just installed palm to work with Outlook.
In custom, I see that the Handheld is set in System to over
write the Desktop.

Even though I have all of the others (contacts, calendar, etc.
set to synchronize). I am confused what System means in
this context.

Thanks
September 21, 2004 12:46:35 PM

It means that if you have the same item (contact, appt, etc) on both the
desktop and the hand held (Palm), and they are different (ie. different
phone#), then the system will use the handheld data to overwrite the desktop
data.

Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I am a new user. Just installed palm to work with Outlook.
> In custom, I see that the Handheld is set in System to over
> write the Desktop.
>
> Even though I have all of the others (contacts, calendar, etc.
> set to synchronize). I am confused what System means in
> this context.
>
> Thanks

September 21, 2004 11:46:59 PM

"Baxter" <lbax01.spamguard@baxcode.com> wrote in message
> It means that if you have the same item (contact, appt, etc) on both the
> desktop and the hand held (Palm), and they are different (ie. different
> phone#), then the system will use the handheld data to overwrite the
desktop
> data.

This is not correct. With a conduit for calender, contacts etc. if an item
is modified on both hanheld and desktop then both entries appear on both
machines, along with a warning in the hotsync log to delete the unwanted
record. The system conduit does not decide which record takes precedence in
that case.

The system conduit transfers third-party applications and data (those that
don't have their own conduit) to the backup folder on your desktop computer,
and backs up handheld preferences and settings to your desktop. These
settings include ISP connections, network preferences, Graffiti and ShortCut
settings, updates or extensions, and various system preferences, as well as
third-party software backups. Because these apps, settings and data cannot
be modified on the desktop (unlike contacts etc) there is never any need to
set system to desktop overwrites handheld and it should never be set to
this.

Cheers, JL

> "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I am a new user. Just installed palm to work with Outlook.
> > In custom, I see that the Handheld is set in System to over
> > write the Desktop.
> >
> > Even though I have all of the others (contacts, calendar, etc.
> > set to synchronize). I am confused what System means in
> > this context.
> >
> > Thanks

September 22, 2004 1:19:13 AM

In article <41507721$0$17922$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, "JL"
<mail@mail.com> wrote:

> "Baxter" <lbax01.spamguard@baxcode.com> wrote in message
> > It means that if you have the same item (contact, appt, etc) on both the
> > desktop and the hand held (Palm), and they are different (ie. different
> > phone#), then the system will use the handheld data to overwrite the
> desktop
> > data.
> >

> This is not correct. With a conduit for calender, contacts etc. if an item
> is modified on both hanheld and desktop then both entries appear on both
> machines, along with a warning in the hotsync log to delete the unwanted
> record. The system conduit does not decide which record takes precedence in
> that case.

Unless you tell the conduit to overwrite the desktop data with the
handheld data ...
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 5:39:36 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:46:34 -0400, "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> was
understood to have stated the following:

>I am a new user. Just installed palm to work with Outlook.
>In custom, I see that the Handheld is set in System to over
>write the Desktop.

This means "system" files on the PDA (files for which there are no
desktop conduits) will be copied from the PDA to the desktop. This is
the proper choice, as it backs up files you have that otherwise would
not be. The only time you want to have it set to "desktop overwrites
handheld" is when you're doing some extreme data recovery. :-)

>Even though I have all of the others (contacts, calendar, etc.
>set to synchronize). I am confused what System means in
>this context.

Just files for which there are no desktop counterparts/conduits. Game
save files and what not.
September 22, 2004 9:47:42 PM

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <41507721$0$17922$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, "JL"
> <mail@mail.com> wrote:
>
> > "Baxter" <lbax01.spamguard@baxcode.com> wrote in message
> > > It means that if you have the same item (contact, appt, etc) on both
the
> > > desktop and the hand held (Palm), and they are different (ie.
different
> > > phone#), then the system will use the handheld data to overwrite the
> > desktop
> > > data.
> > >

> > This is not correct. With a conduit for calender, contacts etc. if an
item
> > is modified on both hanheld and desktop then both entries appear on both
> > machines, along with a warning in the hotsync log to delete the unwanted
> > record. The system conduit does not decide which record takes precedence
in
> > that case.
>
> Unless you tell the conduit to overwrite the desktop data with the
> handheld data ...

I agree if you are talking about the relevant calendar or contacts conduit.
If you mean the system conduit then that will not affect the contact or
calendar database, whatever you set it to. System backs up infomation that
is not already taken care of by their own conduit.

Cheers, JL
September 24, 2004 11:36:16 PM

So does it matter if I leave it with outlook overwriting handheld???

"David W. Poole, Jr." <KillroyWasHere.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
message news:D hd2l0db0k91n8gbqeiloan6v3pumc9382@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:46:34 -0400, "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> was
> understood to have stated the following:
>
> >I am a new user. Just installed palm to work with Outlook.
> >In custom, I see that the Handheld is set in System to over
> >write the Desktop.
>
> This means "system" files on the PDA (files for which there are no
> desktop conduits) will be copied from the PDA to the desktop. This is
> the proper choice, as it backs up files you have that otherwise would
> not be. The only time you want to have it set to "desktop overwrites
> handheld" is when you're doing some extreme data recovery. :-)
>
> >Even though I have all of the others (contacts, calendar, etc.
> >set to synchronize). I am confused what System means in
> >this context.
>
> Just files for which there are no desktop counterparts/conduits. Game
> save files and what not.

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 12:01:21 AM

"Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in news:Qa25d.49938$as2.19044
@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

> So does it matter if I leave it with outlook overwriting handheld???

Yes. If you do that, then all the changes you make on your handheld will be
lost when your desktop files overwrite your handheld files. For individual
conduits, you should sync the files unless you have a specific reason not to.

--
Regards,

Stan
!