Sign in with
Your question

Unknown Startup and Shutdown Problem, Need Help Desperately!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 16, 2012 12:39:00 PM

Alright, I have no clue how or why this has happened, but it's intolerable and really upsetting.

I have a PC that I built myself, it's been up and running for around a year now. It uses an SSD.

On my first installation of Windows, I ran into a big problem similar to this where I would try to log in and could not get past "Welcome". I later found out that this was because SSDs cannot handle hibernation, so after I reinstalled Windows, I disabled hybrid sleep, which seemed to have solved the problem. That was around this time last year. I think I may have a asked a question about that here but that's irrelevant.

Now, this new problem started when I came back to my computer, after leaving it unattended for an hour or so, and found that my computer had restarted and claimed to have had a blue screen. Event Viewer shows a "Kernel-Power" error.

Later, I ran CCleaner for various application and registry clean-up, and deleted my Google Earth cache. Later, I put the computer to sleep, but the lights stayed on and the computer continued to make noises after I told it to sleep for somewhere around 15 to 20 minutes. Finally it completely restarted, and after the "Did not shut down successfully" screen, I logged in. After staying on the Welcome screen for quite some time, it logged in to a black screen.

After an especially slow restart, I was able to get to the desktop after a long period of said black screen.

When I shut the computer down, it took ages to install updates and hung up on "Shutting down".

It also seems to have performed a system restore.

Now, I'm currently trying to install updates again, I have not attempted to put the computer to sleep again yet.

As side notes, early on, I tried to start safe mode and got a blue screen, I've run SFC to no avail, and I've restored my CCleaner registry backup. I tried to run chkdisk, but it wouldn't let me.

Now, I realize that was rather long, but I feel the need to list all the details I can.

(To the point) I believe that the problem is that all the basic system functions (logging in, shutting down, sleep, etc.) have drastically slowed down, but I do now know why, or how to fix it. I will try to give any further info that I can on this.

I've already reinstalled windows once and a REALLY don't want to do it again, so I really hope there's a fix for this other than that, I have 100s of gigabytes of data and hundreds of programs on 5TB that I don't want to lose.

I don't know if this will resolve itself or not, but I've paid the price before for not asking for help right away!

Here's my system info...
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Motherboard:
ASUS P8P67 EVO
Memory:
Corsair 16360MB (16GB) RAM
Hard Drive:
Corsair Force 3 SSD SCSI Device 120GB - Mapped to C:\\ -- System Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3GB/S SATA 1TB - Mapped to B:\\ -- Backup Drive
Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM 6GB/S SATA 2TB - Mapped to A:\\ --Program Drive
-- 5.12TB Total
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Sound:
Integrated Realtek High Definition Audio
Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround
Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Thank you very much,
R. Connor Montgomery (CONELRAD6568)
a b $ Windows 7
September 16, 2012 4:25:12 PM

1. Junk the Asus board. Gigabyte or Intel is what you want. The EVO is a piece of ***.
2. The OS should be installed on a small fast drive. Set the bios to boot this drive FIRST.
Use your large drive to store your personal files only. Use the small drive for the OS and programs only. DO NOT put your personal files on the OS drive.
Large drives are EXTREMELY SLOW.
3. Stop loading programs such as "cc cleaner." Free software from the internet is totally unnecessary and it is a SCAM.
You DO NOT need ANY "free" software (registry cleaners) to make your computer run correctly.
BUT once you have loaded JUNK like this from the internet, it probably WON'T delete. Wipe the OS drive and start over.
Once you get rid of the Asus Board, and load your OS onto a small drive, you will probably be up and going just FINE.

POWER PROFILE SETTINGS read and follow this:
Go into the power profiles,
set standby, hibernate and sleep to OFF
leave the monitor standby ON, that's OK
Set the Hard Drive standby to NEVER
Set system Performance to MAXIMUM, not "quiet mode."

Open the bios set up and make sure "cool and quiet" is OFF.

Now open the hardware manager profiles...
click start
click computer
click system properties
click device manager
double click on mice and other pointing devices
right click on HID compliant mouse
left click on properties
click on the power management tab
UN-check the box that says: "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." (there is now NO check mark in this box)
click OK

Now repeat this procedure for all mice, keyboards, and ALL USB ports on the device manager list.

You must open ALL the devices one at a time, as above, and turn off the power saver, for each device.

The computer is turning off your mouse, keyboard, USB ports, to save power...
It's a bug in the OS set up. Hibernate, system standby, sleep, will cause nothing but headaches. "Cool and Quiet" will starve the CPU for voltage.
September 16, 2012 7:40:04 PM

I've used CCleaner many many times without a problem, plus I'm fairly sure that that wasn't the cause of the problem this time, this is probably the first time I've ever heard anything bad about CCleaner. I've been using this computer for a year with no problem and you've been the only person who's ever recommended me against the Asus board. As I stated, my OS is on a 120 GB SSD, so that is a small, fast drive. I've also done almost all the same things you said, and they've been that way since day one. As for sleep, I've had hybrid sleep turned off since I first installed Windows, never had a problem or performance decrease from that. Actually I asked a question here (on my old account) about the SSD sleep issue, (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275831-32-sleep).

Secondly, the problem has thankfully resolved itself, (knock on wood)! I installed updates and everything works just as smoothly as before the problem started. I don't know what happened or why, but it seems to have been temporary. I apologize for asking about it so hastily, but as I said, I've paid the price far too many times for not asking my questions right away. As for the rest of those settings you mentioned, I will take a look at them, but as I said, I've never had any problems like this before on my current settings.

Thanks,
CONELRAD6568
Related resources
September 20, 2012 3:22:25 PM

Okay, it's started having problems again, when I restarted the computer and logged in, it stayed ay the "Welcome" screen for much longer than usual and then went to a black screen with my cursor on it. It did eventually get to the desktop, but it took a long time.

What could be the cause of this, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
CONELRAD6568
September 20, 2012 3:42:32 PM

It's also taking forever to shutdown, I shut it down right after my last post, and it's still shutting down as I'm typing this (I'm on my laptop).

It seems to be doing the same thing as it was when I first posted, but it's not the same as when I had to replace my SSD, because then it hang up at the login screen literally forever, I could leave it there for hours, and it would still be at the login screen.

This computer is really my pride and joy, I spent over $2,000 on it and it's worked perfectly, except for the first SSD issue and this current issue.

UPDATE: I left the room for a moment and the computer had finished shutting down and was restarting (even though it was supposed to just shut down), it showed the "Windows did not shut down successfully" screen, and I chose "Start Windows normally". Got to the login screen and it logged in just fine, quickly, without showing any black screen.

I don't know what the problem is, but it seems to be on and off, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. Still, I'd really like to get it resolved, so if anyone out there knows anything that might help, I could use it.

EDIT: Looking at event viewer shows 1 Kernel-Power (41), 2 DriverFrameworks-UserMode (10110), and 2 DriverFrameworks-UserMode (10111) errors in the past hour in the "Critical" category.

Both "DriverFrameworks" errors seem to have been caused by the Zune, so could it be possible that these issues are caused by my ZuneHD being plugged in to the computer on all the times it's had trouble (and some times when it hasn't)? Because just before all of this started, I plugged my ZuneHD into the computer with the cable from an original Zune (my ZuneHD cable quit working), and the computer hasn't been able to recognize the Zune. Besides the cable, the Zune itself has been having some issues too, and I haven't plugged it in to the computer for months before now. I don't know if that could be the cause or not, it's just a hypothesis.

Thanks very much,
CONELRAD6568
!