Inspiron 530 Questions

z0rz

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
Hello!

I'm interested in purchasing a refurbished computer from Dell and upgrading some individual parts. I know, "I should just build it myself if I really wanted to save money." Quite honestly, I don't have the know-how or the patience to build my own computer, and I've already made up my mind on getting a refurbished Dell. Before I do so, however, I'd like to get some more information. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 530 (not 530s), and the specs can be found here:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_53x?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

My options for a processor are pretty much a tossup between an Intel Core2 Duo E8200 or a Core2 Quad Q6600. I'm currently leaning more towards the quad. I'll mostly be gaming with this computer, but I'm not really a "hardcore" gamer. I'm cool with playing games on lower settings if I have to, but I'd like to build a cheap machine that can handle some of these newer games. I don't really do any heavy rendering with Photoshop or video editing or anything like that, but from what I can imagine, the quad core processor is the wave of the future and would be the better longterm investment. Is the quad the best way to go, or should I go for the duo?

Next, I'm clueless as to what I should do for a video card. I'd like to get a GeForce 8800GT if possible, but I know Dells don't come with the best PSU's. To combat this, I was thinking about purchasing an OCZ 600W PSU (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=316504&prodlist=cj) but I don't know if this is compatible with my system or the graphics card. Also, I'm not even sure if the 8800GT will even fit in my case. I've also heard that an 8800GT requires 2 PCI-e slots, but Dell says the Inspiron 530 has:
PCI: 2 Slots
PCIe x1: 1 Slot
PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slots

Does this mean I can't (or shouldn't) use the 8800GT? If this is the case, what would be the best card for the money?

That's all I can think of for now. Sorry for the long read, and thank you in advance for any help!

Buying a refurbished computer is not a bad way to get a cheaper useable computer. I wish i was more familiar with Dells so i could give you a better specific answers, but i'm not. Either a E8200 or a Q6600 would be fine for games that are now out. The E8200 would have an edge in all but one current game that's quad core optimized. In the future (1+ years ) we'll probably see more games coming out optimised for the quad, but not yet. The Dell power supply as long as it's a minimum of 450watts should be fine for an 8800GT 512. The OCZ would be better. The 8800GT uses a single PCIeX16 slot interface, but the card itself will often occupy 2 slots in area. Try to get a picture or diagram of the motherboard of whichever system you're getting and check to see if it will fit. I wish i could be more help, the actual specific system would help. You might check out http://app.infopia.com/Shop/Control/fp/cat/142638/SFV/31197 to see prices of other refurbished systems.

z0rz

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
Thank you for the response! I found that the E8200's have all been sold, or taken off the outlet listing for some reason, so I'm pretty much stuck with a Q6600 regardless. Also, I don't think Dell offers any pictures of the motherboard, but they do say they use an Intel® G33 Express Chipset.

The Dell Inspiron 530 comes with a 300W PSU, so the stock PSU probably won't be enough for an 8800GT. Would it be enough for an 8600GT 512, at least? If you customize a new Inspiron 530 on their website, one of the options for an upgraded video card is an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB, which I have read is comparable to a GeForce 8600. Since you can't upgrade the PSU through Dell, I would think it is safe to assume this card would run/fit safely in the Dell. Can I make the same conclusion for an 8600GT 512?

sfoley96

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009

Hey, :hello:

Watch this video for a review and a look at the 530's motherboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsRhzLYHeSY

P.S. im gettin the same PC!