Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyb563

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I'm getting a new set of surround sound speakers and I was thinkin of the Altec Lansing FX5051 system. I've heard mixed reviews about this item but thats all that i've really found right now so should i go ahead and get them or could any of you reccomend something else in the 200 or below price range

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1 and Logitech Z-5300e are being discontinued. but if you can find them they're now less than $200 and they're good quality speakers for the price. Their original prices are close to aroun 300 dollars.

swat9uk

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
im useing logitech 5.1 dont know the model type though ,with sub and they are loud,had them for 1 year so far with no problams,great for games, i think i payed about £120 <pound> for them ,

samuraiblade

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Logitech Z-5500 THX Certified 5.1 Speaker System with out a doubt for surround sound sytstem there still the best out there , for 2.1 system has to be razer mako , gonna get the razer setup soon , i dont like all the wires etc of multi speaker systems tbh.

seanooo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
I'm going to recommend you something quite different to what they have said above, as you are wanting to buy speakers for gaming. Its called the Philips amBX Premium kit, which gives you a 2.1 set of speakers, with a wall washer, a wrist rumbler and 2 fans. The speakers and the washer both have ambient lighting on them which change colour (there are around 2 million different colours) whilst you are playing games, the fans will blow into you when running in a game or flying etc. and the wrists rumbler will activate and make you feel like you are firing a bullet from a gun. Not to mention, the speakers give great surround sound and bass. I've played Call of Duty 4 with and without them and believe me, it changes so much and really makes you feel like you're really there, firing a colt or a sniper rifle and hiding in the jungle. They have recently dropped in price, and for all of the above it only costs around £170 from play.com.

If you want to take your games to the next level, please give them a go. You can find out more details at www.ambx.com.

seanooo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
well you do get a quality set of 2.1 speakers which give clear clarity surround sound, and it really does add a lot to the gaming. It may seem like its just a set of lights that glow, some fans that just blow and a rumbler that just shakes but trust me when I say you really have to try it to see and feel how much it can add to your current games.

2.1 gives stereo sound, not surround sound and without knowing who makes those speakers you can't really say what sort of sound they make especially as getting a good crossover between the subwoofer and speakers is not usually found in cheaper speakers.

For the price, though, you can get a MUCH better sound system than it comes with.

Oh, and if you want to feel like you're really there, hiding in the jungle, just fill your house with mosquitoes :p

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008

Heya,

This greatly depends on what soundcard you're using or plan to use. What's the point of getting expensive speakers that can really crank it out if you're just feeding them a noisy analog signal from your motherboard's built in audio? Need to know what you're using. If you have a quality card, then the latest from Logitech and Klipsch are fantastic for the cost. However, if you have a card that does digital-out, then I recommend you go spend your money elsewhere in the home-theater department; you don't have to use `computer speakers' when you have dts or spdif out. It opens up a whole new ball game for getting great sound systems without being limited to computer stuff.

Very best,

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005

it is not really omni directional though.

Directional sound waves when reflected will not arrive at the same time.
Phase difference will occur. So it is not really omni directional source.
Electrostatic speakers can only claim they are bi-directional and they are not cheap.

DISKCORP

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
I'm own this speaker fx5051 about 4 month.Nice speaker,also a fanatic one.. loves this company,Atp3/vs4121 also i have used.2 week after buy this fx5051 speaker gives a lot trouble.Then it have damage...no sound after all.About 1 month have a new one from waranty, same... made in china.Freak remote control.Sound with Usb conection trouble occurs rarely if using Vista...seem like it not full sycronized with Vista.My M/board intel dq35jo don't support 5.1 channel.Using Audigy value for now working fine.Using 1-2 hour try touch under woofer, it lot damn hot there.Treble vs bass not matching...

Status
Not open for further replies.