disappearing icons

In the notification area on my desktop icons strangely seem to disappear
mainly the AC97 sound manager, i reboot and its still not there, i've been
into properties, customize and told it to always show.
To get the icon back i have to reinstall the driver, is there any other
way???
3 answers Last reply
More about disappearing icons

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm
    Notification Area - Icons Disappearing
    This happens for most Auto-Logon users. To see what the three methods/workarounds
    are visit the above site.

    see also:-
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSystray.htm

    "the judge" <thejudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In the notification area on my desktop icons strangely seem to disappear
    > mainly the AC97 sound manager, i reboot and its still not there, i've been
    > into properties, customize and told it to always show.
    > To get the icon back i have to reinstall the driver, is there any other
    > way???

    thank you but i'm still confused, what exactly do i do when i get to the site
    kellys corner?

    "TaurArian" wrote:

    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm
    > Notification Area - Icons Disappearing
    > This happens for most Auto-Logon users. To see what the three methods/workarounds
    > are visit the above site.
    >
    > see also:-
    > http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSystray.htm
    >

    > "the judge" <thejudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In the notification area on my desktop icons strangely seem to disappear
    > > mainly the AC97 sound manager, i reboot and its still not there, i've been
    > > into properties, customize and told it to always show.
    > > To get the icon back i have to reinstall the driver, is there any other
    > > way???

    From Kelly's page the relevant bits:

    Notification Area
    <snip>

    Icons are missing or disappear, reappear: This generally happens for most Auto-Logon
    users.

    Methods/workarounds: Log off and Log back on, password protect your account or
    disable SSDP and uPNP Services.

    Disable SSDP and uPNP Services (Line 156)

    Or if you are running XP SP1 uninstall UPnP from Add/Remove Windows Components.

    Classic Theme and Notification Area:

    If you are using the Windows Classic theme in Windows XP, the icons in the
    notification area on the right side of the taskbar may disappear when you select a
    High Contrast scheme in the Color Schemes box on the Appearance tab.

    To work around this problem, right-click a blank area of the taskbar, and then click
    Lock the Taskbar. Or, change the size of the taskbar, and then restore it.

    the judge wrote:
    > thank you but i'm still confused, what exactly do i do when i get to
    > the site kellys corner?
    >
    > "TaurArian" wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm
    >> Notification Area - Icons Disappearing
    >> This happens for most Auto-Logon users. To see what the three
    >> methods/workarounds are visit the above site.
    >>
    >> see also:-
    >> http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSystray.htm
    >>

    >> "the judge" <thejudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> In the notification area on my desktop icons strangely seem to
    >>> disappear mainly the AC97 sound manager, i reboot and its still
    >>> not there, i've been into properties, customize and told it to
    >>> always show.
    >>> To get the icon back i have to reinstall the driver, is there any
    >>> other way???

Icons Windows XP