Pavillion ZV5000---PLEASE HELP

dan4321

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I was hoping someone could offer some advice. I have read many threads about the many power related problems with the Pavillion ZV5000. I am not sure if my problem is the same. My problem began with problems charging the battery. So what I have done is removed the battery completely and simply used the laptop with the power adapter plugged in. This worked well for some time, but what happens now is the light on the adapter will fade out from time to time and then the laptop simply shuts off. To correct the problem I simply unplug the adapter terminal from the adapter's dc connection and then the adpters light turns back on. Sometimes I have to wait a few mintues to do this and then the light on the adapter becomes green again and I can reboot the laptop. At times the laptop can then run for hours and at other times, the adaptor light fades out and I loose all power again. I am not sure if this is just an adapter problem or if I am suffering from the same power jack problems most others have faced. I was hoping someone might have a better clue than I do. Please keep in mind that the battery has not been attached to the laptop for sometime and this problem occurs running of of the ac adapter only. Thanks in advance for your help.

wildcard5150

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Not sure if you fixed your problem or not, but here goes. I too have a zv5000 abnd experienced the same problems you described. After losing my temper, I ripped apart my zv5000, and noticed the the power jack was loose on the motherboard. After an hour of looking for my soldering iron, I plugged it in and went to work. The repair took 2 minutes and it solved the problem. Hope this helps.

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
Can you measure the output of the power adaper when the light is dim?
If the power adapter's light becomes dim, there's either a short on the mainboard (unlikely, it would burn!) or the adapter is end-of-life.