What is the "Humanly Hand" ?

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

> What is the "Humanly Hand" ?
> mfg
> Sascha

In the rules I play (Riichi). The "human" hand is going out off a players
discard during the first round(that is before your first draw).
I believe the Japanese term for this hand is Renho.
Two similar hands are the "Heavenly" hand or Tenho (going out as east with
your starting hand) and "Earthly" hand or Chiho(going out off your first draw).

All of these hands are extremely rare(I've certainly never seen any of
them).

Hope that helps :)

-Morten Andersen.

Morten Andersen wrote:
>> What is the "Humanly Hand" ?
>> mfg
>> Sascha
>>

> In the rules I play (Riichi). The "human" hand is going out off a
> players discard during the first round(that is before your first draw).
> I believe the Japanese term for this hand is Renho.
> Two similar hands are the "Heavenly" hand or Tenho (going out as east
> with your starting hand) and "Earthly" hand or Chiho(going out off your
> first draw).
>
> All of these hands are extremely rare(I've certainly never seen any of
> them).
>
> Hope that helps :)
>
> -Morten Andersen.

That sounds about right, except I think you might have the early and
humanly hand definitions mixed up. Going out on the first discard is
what people I play with call "day woo" (ground/earth win) and to draw
your first tile and go out is called a "yun woo" (human win).

--Patrick

Patrick wrote:
>That sounds about right, except I think you might have the early and
>humanly hand definitions mixed up. Going out on the first discard is what
>people I play with call "day woo" (ground/earth win) and to draw your first
>tile and go out is called a "yun woo" (human win).

Everybody is right. To clarify, there are three types of wins within the
first go-round (the first 4 turns):
- Heavenly Hand -- Dealer goes out on the original deal.
- Earthly Hand -- Non-dealer goes out on dealer's first discard.
- Hand of Man - Player goes out within the first 4 plays of a game (not on
dealer's first discard).

Tom

Tom Sloper wrote:

> Morten wrote:
> >> In the rules I play (Riichi). The "human" hand is going out off a
players
> >> discard during the first round(that is before your first draw).
> >> I believe the Japanese term for this hand is Renho.
> >> Two similar hands are the "Heavenly" hand or Tenho (going out as
east
> >> with your starting hand) and "Earthly" hand or Chiho(going out off
your
> >> first draw).
>
> Patrick wrote:
> >That sounds about right, except I think you might have the early and

> >humanly hand definitions mixed up. Going out on the first discard is
what
> >people I play with call "day woo" (ground/earth win) and to draw
your first
> >tile and go out is called a "yun woo" (human win).
>
> Everybody is right. To clarify, there are three types of wins within
the
> first go-round (the first 4 turns):
> - Heavenly Hand -- Dealer goes out on the original deal.
> - Earthly Hand -- Non-dealer goes out on dealer's first discard.
> - Hand of Man - Player goes out within the first 4 plays of a game
(not on
> dealer's first discard).
>
> Tom

I don't know what each is called, but there seem to be more than three
types of wins after a "deal":
- Dealer wins with the original dealt hand without flower replacements.
- Dealer wins with the original dealt hand after flower replacements.
- Player wins with first discard by dealer.
- Player wins with discard by another player before his turn to draw a
tile (this can get quite complex with pungs and skipped turns, so it
may or may not be limited to the "first 4 plays").
- Player wins on first regular draw (again, with pungs and skipped
turns, the first draw by a player may not be within the "first 4
plays").
- Player wins on kong replacement from first draw.
- Player wins on flower replacement from first draw.
- Player can "call" with the dealt hand, and choose to "seal" the hand
(i.e., not replacing any of the dealt tiles) and eventually wins --
either by discard or self draw.

All of these are scored as special in some rules or another. And I am
sure there are other ways of winning from the dealt hand that I don't
know about.

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

> Everybody is right. To clarify, there are three types of wins within the
> first go-round (the first 4 turns):
> - Heavenly Hand -- Dealer goes out on the original deal.
> - Earthly Hand -- Non-dealer goes out on dealer's first discard.
> - Hand of Man - Player goes out within the first 4 plays of a game (not on
> dealer's first discard).

Interesting. In the rules I play by(riichi) Earthly hand means going out
on self-draw on your first draw (AND before any sets have been melded by
the way). In 4winds this is also the case with Japanese Modern but with
other rulesets it follows Toms definition. So yeah I guess maybe
everyone's right :)

-Morten Andersen.

Tom Sloper wrote:

> Morten wrote:
> >> In the rules I play (Riichi). The "human" hand is going out off a
players
> >> discard during the first round(that is before your first draw).
> >> I believe the Japanese term for this hand is Renho.
> >> Two similar hands are the "Heavenly" hand or Tenho (going out as
east
> >> with your starting hand) and "Earthly" hand or Chiho(going out off
your
> >> first draw).
>
> Patrick wrote:
> >That sounds about right, except I think you might have the early and

> >humanly hand definitions mixed up. Going out on the first discard is
what
> >people I play with call "day woo" (ground/earth win) and to draw
your first
> >tile and go out is called a "yun woo" (human win).
>
> Everybody is right. To clarify, there are three types of wins within
the
> first go-round (the first 4 turns):
> - Heavenly Hand -- Dealer goes out on the original deal.
> - Earthly Hand -- Non-dealer goes out on dealer's first discard.
> - Hand of Man - Player goes out within the first 4 plays of a game
(not on
> dealer's first discard).
>
> Tom

Does anybody know if there is a 'Harmony Hand'(may be called 'Hand of
Peace' or 'Peaceful hand')?

Michael Stanwick