Sign in with
Your question

LCD monitor vs LCD 1080p TV or Plasma

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 13, 2007 7:08:23 PM

This is the age old question and I'm just trying to find the right solution.
I'm moving, which seems like a great time to upgrade and consolidate. Mostly I'm talking about my computer monitor and my TV. I'm not a gamer, but I do work with some graphics images- mostly photos. I do a lot of e-mail and web browsing. Those are the big uses for my computer. TV, I watch random shows, some DVD's, thats about it.
I'm looking for a 37 to 42 inch display with good enough resolution to do the stuff on the computer that I do. Will a tv with 1080p give me that quality? LCD or Plasma? or should I stick with an lcd monitor and a tv card?

I know this is rehash to many of you and I'm sorry, but with the constant upgrades in the TV market I thought it was appropriate to ask again. Thanks for any help or information you can provide.

Ellen
a b x TV
September 14, 2007 12:20:01 AM

Overall, an LCD monitor will give you sharper pictures (unless you buy something that uses an inferior TN panel) because the pixel pitch (space between each pixel) will be smaller than that of a TV. Pixel pitch on a TV is larger because all those pixels must be spread out to fill a larger space.

That's not to say that images will look horrible on a HDTV, just that they will look better on a dedicated LCD monitor when compared side to side. Just stay away from all those inexpensive monitors 'cause they all use those inferior TN panels. Blame general consumers for that because they want the biggest monitor they can get for the cheapest price. Anywaste, I digress...

Click the following where a person is using a Sharp 32" 1080p LCD HDTV as a monitor.

Sharp 32" 1080p LCD as a computer monitor

I don't think you will be disappointed.
September 14, 2007 5:12:47 AM

Spose it first depends on how big you actually want the screen. Your saying 37-42" which you will not find a monitor that big. The biggest i know is the Dell,Apple and HP 30"ers...I think you need to decide this first.
!