Using Shift to cancel CAPS LOCK

Can anyone tell me how to configure XP Pro to have the shift key cancel CAPS
LOCK? On Win2K I can set it using Keyboard on the Control Panel but this
option doesn't appear on XP. I have searched all the help files to no avail.

Thanks, Phil

Depending on your selected keyboard, you may be able to enable this under:

Control Panel -> Regional & Language Options -> 'Languages' tab -> 'Details...' button -> 'Key
Settings' button

If this is grayed out:

Locate the following key in the registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout]

In the right pane, there should be a value (type = REG_DWORD) named 'Attributes', change it's value
from 0x0 to 0x10000.

Keith

"Arpeggio" <Arpeggio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE37D6BA-9858-44E4-9F22-BA1F06CB3E6A@microsoft.com...
> Can anyone tell me how to configure XP Pro to have the shift key cancel CAPS
> LOCK? On Win2K I can set it using Keyboard on the Control Panel but this
> option doesn't appear on XP. I have searched all the help files to no avail.
>
> Thanks, Phil

Thanks for your help Keith. It was greyed out but I found that if I added a
UK Extended keyboard then I could get at the key settings.

BR, Phil

"Keith Miller" wrote:

> Depending on your selected keyboard, you may be able to enable this under:
>
> Control Panel -> Regional & Language Options -> 'Languages' tab -> 'Details...' button -> 'Key
> Settings' button
>
> If this is grayed out:
>
> Locate the following key in the registry:
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout]
>
> In the right pane, there should be a value (type = REG_DWORD) named 'Attributes', change it's value
> from 0x0 to 0x10000.
>
> Keith
>
> "Arpeggio" <Arpeggio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE37D6BA-9858-44E4-9F22-BA1F06CB3E6A@microsoft.com...
> > Can anyone tell me how to configure XP Pro to have the shift key cancel CAPS
> > LOCK? On Win2K I can set it using Keyboard on the Control Panel but this
> > option doesn't appear on XP. I have searched all the help files to no avail.
> >
> > Thanks, Phil

You're welcome.

Keith

"Arpeggio" <Arpeggio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:097C5E8E-43DE-4547-B120-8A581329802A@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your help Keith. It was greyed out but I found that if I added a
> UK Extended keyboard then I could get at the key settings.
>
> BR, Phil
>
> "Keith Miller" wrote:
>
> > Depending on your selected keyboard, you may be able to enable this under:
> >
> > Control Panel -> Regional & Language Options -> 'Languages' tab -> 'Details...' button -> 'Key
> > Settings' button
> >
> > If this is grayed out:
> >
> > Locate the following key in the registry:
> >
> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout]
> >
> > In the right pane, there should be a value (type = REG_DWORD) named 'Attributes', change it's value
> > from 0x0 to 0x10000.
> >
> > Keith
> >
> > "Arpeggio" <Arpeggio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE37D6BA-9858-44E4-9F22-BA1F06CB3E6A@microsoft.com...
> > > Can anyone tell me how to configure XP Pro to have the shift key cancel CAPS
> > > LOCK? On Win2K I can set it using Keyboard on the Control Panel but this
> > > option doesn't appear on XP. I have searched all the help files to no avail.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Phil

I have another question: is there a way to change the CAPS LOCK into a
SHIFT LOCK and keep the US-international keyboard settings? In French
keyboard settings, the CAPS LOCK acts as a SHIFT LOCK, but then of
course all the other keys are mixed up.
Thanks,
Karel

As answer to your question: go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
->Regional and language settings -> Languages -> Details -> Settings ->
Key Settings and you will see.

--
oliebol13

I'm sorry I cannot answer your question Karel, but as this thread is quite
old it might be better to post your question as a new thread.

Good luck, Phil

"oliebol13" wrote:

> I have another question: is there a way to change the CAPS LOCK into a
> SHIFT LOCK and keep the US-international keyboard settings? In French
> keyboard settings, the CAPS LOCK acts as a SHIFT LOCK, but then of
> course all the other keys are mixed up.
> Thanks,
> Karel
>
> As answer to your question: go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
> ->Regional and language settings -> Languages -> Details -> Settings ->
> Key Settings and you will see.
>
> Arpeggio Wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me how to configure XP Pro to have the shift key cancel
> > CAPS
> > LOCK? On Win2K I can set it using Keyboard on the Control Panel but
> > this
> > option doesn't appear on XP. I have searched all the help files to no
> > avail.
> >
> > Thanks, Phil
>

> --
> oliebol13

Simple man

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Too complicated, actually it is very very easy, follow the following steps, you can solve the issue in one minute!!!

Control Panel--->Reginal and Language Options--->Languages---->Text Service and input languages---> Details-->Key settings--->To turn off caps lock---> now you should know what you need to do !!!