Using Shift to cancel CAPS LOCK

Can anyone tell me how to configure XP Pro to have the shift key cancel CAPS
LOCK? On Win2K I can set it using Keyboard on the Control Panel but this
option doesn't appear on XP. I have searched all the help files to no avail.

Thanks, Phil
6 answers Last reply
More about using shift cancel caps lock

    Depending on your selected keyboard, you may be able to enable this under:

    Control Panel -> Regional & Language Options -> 'Languages' tab -> 'Details...' button -> 'Key
    Settings' button

    If this is grayed out:

    Locate the following key in the registry:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout]

    In the right pane, there should be a value (type = REG_DWORD) named 'Attributes', change it's value
    from 0x0 to 0x10000.

    Keith

    "Arpeggio" <Arpeggio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE37D6BA-9858-44E4-9F22-BA1F06CB3E6A@microsoft.com...
    > Can anyone tell me how to configure XP Pro to have the shift key cancel CAPS
    > LOCK? On Win2K I can set it using Keyboard on the Control Panel but this
    > option doesn't appear on XP. I have searched all the help files to no avail.
    >
    > Thanks, Phil

    Thanks for your help Keith. It was greyed out but I found that if I added a
    UK Extended keyboard then I could get at the key settings.

    BR, Phil

    "Keith Miller" wrote:

    > Depending on your selected keyboard, you may be able to enable this under:
    >
    > Control Panel -> Regional & Language Options -> 'Languages' tab -> 'Details...' button -> 'Key
    > Settings' button
    >
    > If this is grayed out:
    >
    > Locate the following key in the registry:
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout]
    >
    > In the right pane, there should be a value (type = REG_DWORD) named 'Attributes', change it's value
    > from 0x0 to 0x10000.
    >
    > Keith
    >
    > "Arpeggio" <Arpeggio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE37D6BA-9858-44E4-9F22-BA1F06CB3E6A@microsoft.com...
    > > Can anyone tell me how to configure XP Pro to have the shift key cancel CAPS
    > > LOCK? On Win2K I can set it using Keyboard on the Control Panel but this
    > > option doesn't appear on XP. I have searched all the help files to no avail.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Phil

    You're welcome.

    Keith

    "Arpeggio" <Arpeggio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:097C5E8E-43DE-4547-B120-8A581329802A@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for your help Keith. It was greyed out but I found that if I added a
    > UK Extended keyboard then I could get at the key settings.
    >
    > BR, Phil
    >
    > "Keith Miller" wrote:
    >
    > > Depending on your selected keyboard, you may be able to enable this under:
    > >
    > > Control Panel -> Regional & Language Options -> 'Languages' tab -> 'Details...' button -> 'Key
    > > Settings' button
    > >
    > > If this is grayed out:
    > >
    > > Locate the following key in the registry:
    > >
    > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout]
    > >
    > > In the right pane, there should be a value (type = REG_DWORD) named 'Attributes', change it's value
    > > from 0x0 to 0x10000.
    > >
    > > Keith
    > >
    > > "Arpeggio" <Arpeggio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE37D6BA-9858-44E4-9F22-BA1F06CB3E6A@microsoft.com...
    > > > Can anyone tell me how to configure XP Pro to have the shift key cancel CAPS
    > > > LOCK? On Win2K I can set it using Keyboard on the Control Panel but this
    > > > option doesn't appear on XP. I have searched all the help files to no avail.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks, Phil

    I have another question: is there a way to change the CAPS LOCK into a
    SHIFT LOCK and keep the US-international keyboard settings? In French
    keyboard settings, the CAPS LOCK acts as a SHIFT LOCK, but then of
    course all the other keys are mixed up.
    Thanks,
    Karel

    As answer to your question: go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
    ->Regional and language settings -> Languages -> Details -> Settings ->
    Key Settings and you will see.

    --
    oliebol13

    I'm sorry I cannot answer your question Karel, but as this thread is quite
    old it might be better to post your question as a new thread.

    Good luck, Phil

    "oliebol13" wrote:

    > I have another question: is there a way to change the CAPS LOCK into a
    > SHIFT LOCK and keep the US-international keyboard settings? In French
    > keyboard settings, the CAPS LOCK acts as a SHIFT LOCK, but then of
    > course all the other keys are mixed up.
    > Thanks,
    > Karel
    >
    > As answer to your question: go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
    > ->Regional and language settings -> Languages -> Details -> Settings ->
    > Key Settings and you will see.
    >
    > Arpeggio Wrote:
    > > Can anyone tell me how to configure XP Pro to have the shift key cancel
    > > CAPS
    > > LOCK? On Win2K I can set it using Keyboard on the Control Panel but
    > > this
    > > option doesn't appear on XP. I have searched all the help files to no
    > > avail.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Phil
    >

    > --
    > oliebol13

  6. Too complicated, actually it is very very easy, follow the following steps, you can solve the issue in one minute!!!

    Control Panel--->Reginal and Language Options--->Languages---->Text Service and input languages---> Details-->Key settings--->To turn off caps lock---> now you should know what you need to do !!!

Microsoft Windows XP