Cheers,

Eric

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

On 2005-05-28 00:12:37 +0200, Eric <doctomorrow@msn.com> said:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry if this request has already been made before, but I'm new to the
> game and, as a result, to this newsgroup. I'm looking for online
> partners who use the 4 Winds software : if anyone is interested, please
> email me, so we can arrange a date/time for a game. I must stress out
> the fact that I'm a beginner : I probably won't be a very interesting
> partner for confirmed players.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Eric

Hi Eric

Playing 4winds online has become virtually impossible for anyone who
has a firewall (and who has not? ;-)
There are many servers on the internet where you can play online. A new
one, e.g., is JadeMahjong: http://www.jadedragonmahjong.com/, where you
can play Taiwanese mahjong, American, Chinese classical, but also the
new Chinese Official rules.
Good luck!

--

On 5/28/05 10:21 PM, in article 4299434d$0$142$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl,
"Martin Rep" <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote:

> There are many servers on the internet where you can play online. A new
> one, e.g., is JadeMahjong: http://www.jadedragonmahjong.com/, where you
> can play Taiwanese mahjong, American, Chinese classical, but also the
> new Chinese Official rules.

I went to that, but there was nobody there.

--
Join the fun! Join the forum!
http://www.coloradoflyfishing.us

"Michael P. Thompson" <michaelpthompson@comcast.net> wrote
> I went to that, but there was nobody there.

The best thing to do with most online mah-jongg games (other than, say,
Yahoo - see others listed in FAQ 5) is to pre-arrange play sessions in
advance. You can post announcements looking for other players here at
news:rec.games.mahjong. When posting an announcement, state what
time you want to play (and what time zone you live in) and which game you
will be on (give the exact URL).

Here's an example of the best way to post a challenge --

> Subject: Let's play Mah-Jongg Game X tonite at 7 EDT
> From: "Pong Kong" <pkong@yahoo.com>
> Date: Sat, Sep 25, 1998 11:39
> Who wants to get play Mah-Jongg Game X? I'm going to be
> online at 7:00 PM Eastern time
> tonight, Friday September 25th. Come and get beaten
> real bad! Or maybe beat me, if you're humanoid
> enough. See ya there!
> Pong Kong

Tom

(PS - In case you couldn't tell, I wrote the above FAQ in 1998)

On Sun, 29 May 2005 06:21:33 +0200, Martin Rep wrote:

> Playing 4winds online has become virtually impossible for anyone who
> has a firewall (and who has not? ;-)

I've played with several people that have a firewall (router). It's not that
hard to setup the router/firewall. You just have to open/forward the
following ports:

2300-2400 TCP
2300-2400 UDP
28800-29000 TCP