Hans D

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Hello. I have a Dell XPS Gen 3 desktop for over 2 years now, and it's been working fine up until now. Here's what happened:

Booted normally, but seconds after windows desktop starts it goes to the blue screen of death. Then, when I try to shut the PC down, the fans suddenly reach 100% until I shut down the disk drives.

I send it to a technician and he says it's the memory, he changes it with new memory. I suspected it as in the Blue Screen it said something about a memory problem. He reinstalls windows too.

I start using it and everything is normal. I download SpeedFan to check temperatures, and it shows the Video Card with a core temperature of 76C. I then downloaded Intel Active Monitor to try see the CPU temperature, as I see it recommended on a site. I start to install the program and suddenly the monitor goes black, no response from keyboard or mouse.

So I shut down disks as I couldn't do anything else to make it respond. I start it again, and this time after the BIOS loads, the monitor goes black again and the fans increase to the maximum again.

I let it cool of, thinking that's the problem. I open the case and clean around with compressed air. I boot it up, and windows loads, but seconds after desktop appears, the monitor goes black again and fans reach maximum RPM again.

I really need help with this issue, please, anyone knows what might be happening?

Pentium 4 550 3.4 GHz
nVidia 6800 GTO
1 GB PC2 5300 Memory
Dell Inc. Motherboard Intel i925x chipset, B1 revision, A07 BIOS.

Hans D

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to apply thermal grease when I get some, it should come in a few days. Anyways, I got to the BIOS in one try, and saw the boot order it was in. It had a lot of unrecognized entries in it, only the Raid 0 and CD, Floppy, where there. I tried to open the CD tray while on BIOS and it didn't open.

When it does send a signal to the monitor, I can stay in BIOS all I want. But after loading windows it again makes the monitor black, as if no signal was sent. I put the PC on a very cooled part of the house and the air that comes out of the case feels cool the the hand. Yet the same problems happen.

Could it be the motherboard fried? How can I isolate the faulty hardware piece if I got no replacements?