Windows 2000 style task bar

July 14, 2005 10:07:38 PM

Just upgraded from 2000 to xp::
Why is it that windows xp cannot arrange the launch bar in one row
and the program task bar in another row, but rather arranges them
as two stackes rows side by side. This is not how windows 2000
users are used to do things?
July 14, 2005 10:07:39 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:07:38 +0100, "natalie" <nataliek@kern.com> wrote:

>Just upgraded from 2000 to xp::
>Why is it that windows xp cannot arrange the launch bar in one row
>and the program task bar in another row, but rather arranges them
>as two stackes rows side by side. This is not how windows 2000
>users are used to do things?

Natalie,

You can arrange the quick launch area as you wish. First, unlock the taskbar.
Then, grab the quick launch area by the handle (the row of dotted lines
separating it from the task buttons), and drag it. You can put the quick launch
bar left of, under, right of, or above, the task buttons. Try it and see.
July 14, 2005 10:07:39 PM

natalie wrote:

> Just upgraded from 2000 to xp::
> Why is it that windows xp cannot arrange the launch bar in one row
> and the program task bar in another row, but rather arranges them
> as two stackes rows side by side. This is not how windows 2000
> users are used to do things?

Your post is confusing. Are you saying that you want Quick Launch in a
two-tier high stack or it is that way and you don't like it? If the
former, just right-click the taskbar and unlock it. Then you can move
the various toolbars anywhere you want. You can also make the taskbar
"taller" by grabbing it on the edge and dragging up.

If you've inadvertently made the taskbar two tiers high and don't like
it, here's how to fix that:

What happens is that the end "margin" of the QuickLaunch toolbar has
gotten so far over to the right that it is now down below. Unlock the
Taskbar and then "grab" the dotted line on the bottom bar and drag it
up to immediately to the right of the QuickLaunch icons. Now you've
successfully made the QuickLaunch toolbar shorter and can "grab" the
top bar of the Taskbar and "push" it down to the regular one-tier
height.

If I still didn't answer your question, post back with a better
description of what is happening and what you want.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

In news:6abdd1doomgbqj0jv8onn1a8pb7bqv8amp@4ax.com,
Lou <lour0314NOSPAM@gmail.com> typed:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:07:38 +0100, "natalie"
> <nataliek@kern.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Just upgraded from 2000 to xp::
>> Why is it that windows xp cannot arrange the launch bar in one
>> row
>> and the program task bar in another row, but rather arranges
>> them
>> as two stackes rows side by side. This is not how windows 2000
>> users are used to do things?
>
> Natalie,
>
> You can arrange the quick launch area as you wish. First,
> unlock the
> taskbar. Then, grab the quick launch area by the handle (the
> row of
> dotted lines separating it from the task buttons), and drag it.
> You
> can put the quick launch bar left of, under, right of, or
> above, the
> task buttons. Try it and see.

Note that you can do even more than that. It's not the "quick
launch area," it's the Quick Launch Bar," and like other
toolbars, can be dragged off the task bar entirely and moved, for
example, to another side of the screen.

Please reply to the newsgroup
July 15, 2005 3:13:18 AM

In my desktop I have too many launch bar icons, so what I do is I
increase the height of the entire bottom area from one row two
two rows. Now, in Windows 2000 this results in one row for the
launch bar and one row for the task bar. Now, on Windows XP
I get a different behaviour (which I don't like) where the left side
of the area is for the launch icons, and the right side of the area
is for the task bar, and both sides will be two rows high.

> Your post is confusing. Are you saying that you want Quick Launch in a
> two-tier high stack or it is that way and you don't like it? If the
> former, just right-click the taskbar and unlock it. Then you can move
> the various toolbars anywhere you want. You can also make the taskbar
> "taller" by grabbing it on the edge and dragging up.
>
> If you've inadvertently made the taskbar two tiers high and don't like
> it, here's how to fix that:
>
> What happens is that the end "margin" of the QuickLaunch toolbar has
> gotten so far over to the right that it is now down below. Unlock the
> Taskbar and then "grab" the dotted line on the bottom bar and drag it
> up to immediately to the right of the QuickLaunch icons. Now you've
> successfully made the QuickLaunch toolbar shorter and can "grab" the
> top bar of the Taskbar and "push" it down to the regular one-tier
> height.
>
> If I still didn't answer your question, post back with a better
> description of what is happening and what you want.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
July 15, 2005 3:13:19 AM

natalie wrote:

> In my desktop I have too many launch bar icons, so what I do is I
> increase the height of the entire bottom area from one row two
> two rows. Now, in Windows 2000 this results in one row for the
> launch bar and one row for the task bar. Now, on Windows XP
> I get a different behaviour (which I don't like) where the left side
> of the area is for the launch icons, and the right side of the area
> is for the task bar, and both sides will be two rows high.

You still haven't told us what you'd actually prefer. Why not put the
Quick Launch toolbar somewhere else entirely, like going across the top
or down one of the sides?

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell