Screen Saver Not Working

Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2

I have a problem with the screen saver.

If I go into display properties/screen saver and click preview my screen
saver comes on, move the mouse and away it goes. Then if a select any amount
of time to wait (including 1 min) nothing happens. I have applied everything,
as it should be, go back to my desktop and wait without moving a thing, and
nothing happens.

Any idea's on where the problem could be?

Check your settings here: Go to Start/Run/regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop or: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control
Panel\Desktop
ScreenSaveTimeOut = (set your preference)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
Panel\Desktop

ScreenSaverIsSecure
0 - Screen savers are not password-protected.
1 - All screen savers are password-protected.

Verify that the ScreenSaver has been placed in the C:\WINDOWS\System32
Folder. Make sure that the screensaver starts with " ss " e.g. if the
screensaver name is " pictures " rename it to " sspictures ".

Also make sure none of the screensavers are wrapped in double quotes as
in: ""c:\windows\system32\screensavername.scr"".

Hope this helps.

--
Madboy

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326719
Screen Saver May Not Start in Windows XP

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ss
Troubleshooting Screen Saver Issues in XP

Posting from another user by the name of David:
�I figured out what the problem is. It's the Microsoft Wireless Mouse. If I switch
the mouse to one with a tail the screensaver works.�
then David posted again
�I got a fix. I changed to connection to the computer using the USB to PS2 adapter
that came with the mouse. Now I get the screensaver. I would be interested to find
out why this works.�