Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Safe Mode & Wireless Keyboard

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 14, 2005 2:36:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2
Microsoft Intelli Type Wireless Keyboard

My problem is simply!!! When booting my computer the keyboard does not
become active until windows has loaded. Hense I am unable to press F8 during
the boot process and therefore cannot boot to safe mode. To make matters
worse there is a F/Lock key on the keyboard which on starting is always
inactive.

Can anyone help me boot to safe mode without having to buy and attach a
corded keyboard.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 14, 2005 4:36:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have the same keyboard and I use a USB to PS2 adapter to get around this
problem.

"david2505" wrote:

> Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2
> Microsoft Intelli Type Wireless Keyboard
>
> My problem is simply!!! When booting my computer the keyboard does not
> become active until windows has loaded. Hense I am unable to press F8 during
> the boot process and therefore cannot boot to safe mode. To make matters
> worse there is a F/Lock key on the keyboard which on starting is always
> inactive.
>
> Can anyone help me boot to safe mode without having to buy and attach a
> corded keyboard.
July 14, 2005 5:44:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

There's no way around that problem. Windows has to load the device driver
for the keyboard in order to communicate. Buying a cheap wired keyboard is
the best option.
--

"david2505" <david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4A3327E7-AAFE-4392-B735-F5B8E49BD277@microsoft.com...
> Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2
> Microsoft Intelli Type Wireless Keyboard
>
> My problem is simply!!! When booting my computer the keyboard does not
> become active until windows has loaded. Hense I am unable to press F8
> during
> the boot process and therefore cannot boot to safe mode. To make matters
> worse there is a F/Lock key on the keyboard which on starting is always
> inactive.
>
> Can anyone help me boot to safe mode without having to buy and attach a
> corded keyboard.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 14, 2005 6:05:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I doubt that this is as you say so. I have the same wireless keyboard and it does work as the OP wants it to. I would suggest that he install the new 5.02 MS keyboard driver for the wireless keyboard

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:etV7juJiFHA.500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> There's no way around that problem. Windows has to load the device driver
> for the keyboard in order to communicate. Buying a cheap wired keyboard is
> the best option.
> --
>
> "david2505" <david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4A3327E7-AAFE-4392-B735-F5B8E49BD277@microsoft.com...
> > Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2
> > Microsoft Intelli Type Wireless Keyboard
> >
> > My problem is simply!!! When booting my computer the keyboard does not
> > become active until windows has loaded. Hense I am unable to press F8
> > during
> > the boot process and therefore cannot boot to safe mode. To make matters
> > worse there is a F/Lock key on the keyboard which on starting is always
> > inactive.
> >
> > Can anyone help me boot to safe mode without having to buy and attach a
> > corded keyboard.
>
>
July 14, 2005 6:05:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Peter Foldes wrote:

> I doubt that this is as you say so. I have the same wireless keyboard
> and it does work as the OP wants it to. I would suggest that he
> install the new 5.02 MS keyboard driver for the wireless keyboard
>
In addition, the OP should check and make sure that Legacy USB is
enabled in his BIOS.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 14, 2005 6:19:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"david2505" <david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4A3327E7-AAFE-4392-B735-F5B8E49BD277@microsoft.com...
> Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2
> Microsoft Intelli Type Wireless Keyboard
>
> My problem is simply!!! When booting my computer the keyboard does not
> become active until windows has loaded. Hense I am unable to press F8
> during
> the boot process and therefore cannot boot to safe mode. To make matters
> worse there is a F/Lock key on the keyboard which on starting is always
> inactive.
>
> Can anyone help me boot to safe mode without having to buy and attach a
> corded keyboard.

Yes, use MSCONFIG. On the boot.ini page, there's a checkbox for the
/safeboot option.

I"ve run into a couple of systems that were supplied (by a large
manufacturer) with USB keyboards... but USB keyboards don't allow access to
the BIOS on those systems. You need a standard keyboard to reconfigure
the system...

HTH
-pk
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 15, 2005 12:16:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:36:01 -0700, MLT
<NOSPAM_mltownsend@cmsenergy.com.dontspam> wrote:

>I have the same keyboard and I use a USB to PS2 adapter to get around this
>problem.
>
>"david2505" wrote:
>
>> Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2
>> Microsoft Intelli Type Wireless Keyboard
>>
>> My problem is simply!!! When booting my computer the keyboard does not
>> become active until windows has loaded. Hense I am unable to press F8 during
>> the boot process and therefore cannot boot to safe mode. To make matters
>> worse there is a F/Lock key on the keyboard which on starting is always
>> inactive.
>>
>> Can anyone help me boot to safe mode without having to buy and attach a
>> corded keyboard.

How exactly will a USB to PS2 adapter work for a WIRELESS keyboard?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 15, 2005 12:19:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:36:13 -0700, david2505
<david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2
>Microsoft Intelli Type Wireless Keyboard
>
>My problem is simply!!! When booting my computer the keyboard does not
>become active until windows has loaded. Hense I am unable to press F8 during
>the boot process and therefore cannot boot to safe mode. To make matters
>worse there is a F/Lock key on the keyboard which on starting is always
>inactive.
>
>Can anyone help me boot to safe mode without having to buy and attach a
>corded keyboard.

It works fine here. you just have to activate the F lock key before
it will recognize the key presses as being Function keys. Thanks MS
and Logitech. inbred retards that they are..


--
the JarHead

There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 15, 2005 12:22:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Wireless Receiver ? My Logitech MX-1000 "Wireless" mouse
can be connected via either USB or PS2 with an adapter. I'm
assuming the keyboard must also have a receiver that probably
works with either interface.

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
news:v20ed1dthbnlnlm9h1qjprcmtgj7kgt385@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:36:01 -0700, MLT
> <NOSPAM_mltownsend@cmsenergy.com.dontspam> wrote:
>
>>I have the same keyboard and I use a USB to PS2 adapter to get around this
>>problem.
>>
>>"david2505" wrote:
>>
>>> Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2
>>> Microsoft Intelli Type Wireless Keyboard
>>>
>>> My problem is simply!!! When booting my computer the keyboard does not
>>> become active until windows has loaded. Hense I am unable to press F8
>>> during
>>> the boot process and therefore cannot boot to safe mode. To make matters
>>> worse there is a F/Lock key on the keyboard which on starting is always
>>> inactive.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me boot to safe mode without having to buy and attach a
>>> corded keyboard.
>
> How exactly will a USB to PS2 adapter work for a WIRELESS keyboard?
>
July 15, 2005 2:20:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks. I stand corrected. I haven't found that to be the case with some
other wireless keyboards, but haven't tried it with the "Microsoft Intelli
Type" model.
--

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o nXxU6JiFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
I doubt that this is as you say so. I have the same wireless keyboard and it
does work as the OP wants it to. I would suggest that he install the new
5.02 MS keyboard driver for the wireless keyboard

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:etV7juJiFHA.500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> There's no way around that problem. Windows has to load the device
> driver
> for the keyboard in order to communicate. Buying a cheap wired keyboard
> is
> the best option.
> --
>
> "david2505" <david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4A3327E7-AAFE-4392-B735-F5B8E49BD277@microsoft.com...
> > Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2
> > Microsoft Intelli Type Wireless Keyboard
> >
> > My problem is simply!!! When booting my computer the keyboard does not
> > become active until windows has loaded. Hense I am unable to press F8
> > during
> > the boot process and therefore cannot boot to safe mode. To make matters
> > worse there is a F/Lock key on the keyboard which on starting is always
> > inactive.
> >
> > Can anyone help me boot to safe mode without having to buy and attach a
> > corded keyboard.
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 16, 2005 3:36:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

OK, I got you. Sorry, I misuderstood your post!

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:22:11 -0400, "R. McCarty"
<PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Wireless Receiver ? My Logitech MX-1000 "Wireless" mouse
>can be connected via either USB or PS2 with an adapter. I'm
>assuming the keyboard must also have a receiver that probably
>works with either interface.
>
>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>news:v20ed1dthbnlnlm9h1qjprcmtgj7kgt385@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:36:01 -0700, MLT
>> <NOSPAM_mltownsend@cmsenergy.com.dontspam> wrote:
>>
>>>I have the same keyboard and I use a USB to PS2 adapter to get around this
>>>problem.
>>>
>>>"david2505" wrote:
>>>
>>>> Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2
>>>> Microsoft Intelli Type Wireless Keyboard
>>>>
>>>> My problem is simply!!! When booting my computer the keyboard does not
>>>> become active until windows has loaded. Hense I am unable to press F8
>>>> during
>>>> the boot process and therefore cannot boot to safe mode. To make matters
>>>> worse there is a F/Lock key on the keyboard which on starting is always
>>>> inactive.
>>>>
>>>> Can anyone help me boot to safe mode without having to buy and attach a
>>>> corded keyboard.
>>
>> How exactly will a USB to PS2 adapter work for a WIRELESS keyboard?
>>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 8, 2010 2:17:35 AM

FLOCK key on my microsoft keyboard fixed it - enables the F8 key to be active

Otherwise can't choose to install windows XP without pougging in an old keyboard.

Thanks guys!
!