Unknowingly Changing User Accounts

I have been using the default "administrator" account, and today I added
another user account in my own name. Problem is, the tweeks I performed in
the administrator account didn't come over to my other account (even though
this account is administrator level as well). When I try to delete this
account, I can't. I no longer see the default administrator account when I
reboot. I'd like to know if there is a way for me to get back to just having
the default administrator account. I know I can move files from Documents and
Settings from one user to another, but the IE version I am using under
administrator has JVM loaded, as well as some other things, and they don't
show up under this other user account. Rather than have to redo everything I
did again, I just want to delete the account I created and continue to use
the default admin account where I set everything up the way I wanted int he
first place. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me...

XP is set up in such a way that as soon as you create your own admin account
the default admin account goes into hiding.
The reason for this is you should create your own account and NOT use the
deafult admin acct.If something goes wrong with your account you will still
be able to access XP tru safe mode and that default admin acct.
You "copy" all of the default admin settings to your new account in this
manner:
create another account....with admin privileges...call it B
sign in as B
right click MyComputer/properties/advanced/user profiles..........settings
hightlight the default admin acct...................click copy to
on the next page Browse to C:\documents&settings\your new user name...not B
click ok
ok your way out and restart the system
sign in as "your new user name"
all of the settings should have copied over and this account should now be a
duplicate of the original admin.
you can now delete that user B.
good luck
peterk

the problem
"LNLLawson" <LNLLawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been using the default "administrator" account, and today I added
> another user account in my own name. Problem is, the tweeks I performed in
> the administrator account didn't come over to my other account (even
> though
> this account is administrator level as well). When I try to delete this
> account, I can't. I no longer see the default administrator account when I
> reboot. I'd like to know if there is a way for me to get back to just
> having
> the default administrator account. I know I can move files from Documents
> and
> Settings from one user to another, but the IE version I am using under
> administrator has JVM loaded, as well as some other things, and they don't
> show up under this other user account. Rather than have to redo everything
> did again, I just want to delete the account I created and continue to use
> the default admin account where I set everything up the way I wanted int
> he
> first place. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me...

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

LNLLawson wrote:

> I have been using the default "administrator" account, and today I added
> another user account in my own name. Problem is, the tweeks I performed in
> the administrator account didn't come over to my other account (even though
> this account is administrator level as well). When I try to delete this
> account, I can't. I no longer see the default administrator account when I
> reboot. I'd like to know if there is a way for me to get back to just having
> the default administrator account. I know I can move files from Documents and
> Settings from one user to another, but the IE version I am using under
> administrator has JVM loaded, as well as some other things, and they don't
> show up under this other user account. Rather than have to redo everything I
> did again, I just want to delete the account I created and continue to use
> the default admin account where I set everything up the way I wanted int he
> first place. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me...

As Peter said, it's not the best practice to use the built in
Administrator account for every day operations. Use another account
with administrative privileges as you started to do. Yes it might mean
having to do some extra work to get things the way you like it, but the
safety benefit is worth it.

Here are two links on how to copy the one account to another:

How to Copy a User Profile
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

LNLLawson wrote:
> I have been using the default "administrator" account, and today I added
> another user account in my own name. Problem is, the tweeks I performed in
> the administrator account didn't come over to my other account (even though
> this account is administrator level as well). When I try to delete this
> account, I can't. I no longer see the default administrator account when I
> reboot. I'd like to know if there is a way for me to get back to just having
> the default administrator account. I know I can move files from Documents and
> Settings from one user to another, but the IE version I am using under
> administrator has JVM loaded, as well as some other things, and they don't
> show up under this other user account. Rather than have to redo everything I
> did again, I just want to delete the account I created and continue to use
> the default admin account where I set everything up the way I wanted int he
> first place. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me...

As you've just learned, once any additional user accounts have been
created, the Administrator account will no longer be displayed on the
Welcome Screen. This is a default security feature. By design, the
only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

The built-in Administrator account really isn't intended to be used
for day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to set a
strong password on it and use it only to create another account for
regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door" in
case something corrupts your regular account(s).

A wiser course of action would be to create another user account
for your daily use, as you say you've done, and copy desired the files
and settings from the Administrator account to this newly created user
profile.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm