saj

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

I recently ran my ISP's sypware detector, which usually works fine. This time
it got all confused and ran forever. Afterward I found dozens of unfamiliar
configuration settings files, which showed up in all sorts of folders as well
as on the Start menu. They all had the name DESKTOP. Thinking the screwy
spyware program had generated them, I deleted all I could find. I can't be
sure if that is why, but now several programs don't work, like Media Player
and some other accessories, and the thumbnail view doesn't work in folders
that contain pictures.

I restored all these DESKTOP files from the Recycle Bin, but that didn't fix
the problem. I reinstalled MP 10, but it still tells me it is not installed
properly.

I have a previous disk image backed up on a removable hard drive. These
files are there after all, so deleting them was obviously a bad move. They
are marked System and Hidden, but resetting those attributes also failed to
solve my problem.

So what do I have to do to make these programs work again? Thanks.

kelly

Which program did you use?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"saj" <saj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently ran my ISP's sypware detector, which usually works fine. This
>time
> it got all confused and ran forever. Afterward I found dozens of
> unfamiliar
> configuration settings files, which showed up in all sorts of folders as
> well
> as on the Start menu. They all had the name DESKTOP. Thinking the screwy
> spyware program had generated them, I deleted all I could find. I can't be
> sure if that is why, but now several programs don't work, like Media
> Player
> and some other accessories, and the thumbnail view doesn't work in folders
> that contain pictures.
>
> I restored all these DESKTOP files from the Recycle Bin, but that didn't
> fix
> the problem. I reinstalled MP 10, but it still tells me it is not
> installed
> properly.
>
> I have a previous disk image backed up on a removable hard drive. These
> files are there after all, so deleting them was obviously a bad move. They
> are marked System and Hidden, but resetting those attributes also failed
> solve my problem.
>
> So what do I have to do to make these programs work again? Thanks.

saj

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Thanks for responding, Kelly. If you mean which spyware program, it's called
Earthlink SpywareBlocker (Earthlink is my ISP). It's apparently developed by
Webroot.

"Kelly" wrote:

> Which program did you use?
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "saj" <saj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently ran my ISP's sypware detector, which usually works fine. This
> >time
> > it got all confused and ran forever. Afterward I found dozens of
> > unfamiliar
> > configuration settings files, which showed up in all sorts of folders as
> > well
> > as on the Start menu. They all had the name DESKTOP. Thinking the screwy
> > spyware program had generated them, I deleted all I could find. I can't be
> > sure if that is why, but now several programs don't work, like Media
> > Player
> > and some other accessories, and the thumbnail view doesn't work in folders
> > that contain pictures.
> >
> > I restored all these DESKTOP files from the Recycle Bin, but that didn't
> > fix
> > the problem. I reinstalled MP 10, but it still tells me it is not
> > installed
> > properly.
> >
> > I have a previous disk image backed up on a removable hard drive. These
> > files are there after all, so deleting them was obviously a bad move. They
> > are marked System and Hidden, but resetting those attributes also failed
> > solve my problem.
> >
> > So what do I have to do to make these programs work again? Thanks.

Hi Kelly :)
its Kenny S here.....

I have been looking all over for you :-D

I will resend you an email at this moment, can you please check?
If you have seen my email and post and are not interested in contacting me
please let me know.

Thanks!

> Which program did you use?
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "saj" <saj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I recently ran my ISP's sypware detector, which usually works fine. This
>>time
>> it got all confused and ran forever. Afterward I found dozens of
>> unfamiliar
>> configuration settings files, which showed up in all sorts of folders as
>> well
>> as on the Start menu. They all had the name DESKTOP. Thinking the screwy
>> spyware program had generated them, I deleted all I could find. I can't
>> be
>> sure if that is why, but now several programs don't work, like Media
>> Player
>> and some other accessories, and the thumbnail view doesn't work in
>> folders
>> that contain pictures.
>>
>> I restored all these DESKTOP files from the Recycle Bin, but that didn't
>> fix
>> the problem. I reinstalled MP 10, but it still tells me it is not
>> installed
>> properly.
>>
>> I have a previous disk image backed up on a removable hard drive. These
>> files are there after all, so deleting them was obviously a bad move.
>> They
>> are marked System and Hidden, but resetting those attributes also failed
>> solve my problem.
>>
>> So what do I have to do to make these programs work again? Thanks.

Hi Kelly :)
its Kenny S here.....

I have been looking all over for you :-D

I will resend you an email at this moment, can you please check?
If you have seen my email and post and are not interested in contacting me
please let me know.

Thanks!

--
Kenfucious said:

The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point
of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
> Which program did you use?
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "saj" <saj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I recently ran my ISP's sypware detector, which usually works fine. This
>>time
>> it got all confused and ran forever. Afterward I found dozens of
>> unfamiliar
>> configuration settings files, which showed up in all sorts of folders as
>> well
>> as on the Start menu. They all had the name DESKTOP. Thinking the screwy
>> spyware program had generated them, I deleted all I could find. I can't
>> be
>> sure if that is why, but now several programs don't work, like Media
>> Player
>> and some other accessories, and the thumbnail view doesn't work in
>> folders
>> that contain pictures.
>>
>> I restored all these DESKTOP files from the Recycle Bin, but that didn't
>> fix
>> the problem. I reinstalled MP 10, but it still tells me it is not
>> installed
>> properly.
>>
>> I have a previous disk image backed up on a removable hard drive. These
>> files are there after all, so deleting them was obviously a bad move.
>> They
>> are marked System and Hidden, but resetting those attributes also failed
>> solve my problem.
>>
>> So what do I have to do to make these programs work again? Thanks.

kelly

You are most welcome and thank you for the response. How interesting,
indeed. That said, there are "many" issues that come about from using the
before mentioned. Good luck with it all.