Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Monitor Suggestion: CRT or LCD?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 20, 2007 9:48:42 PM

My older 19" 4:3 crt is starting to die. Ghosting lines, sporadic color changes, and recently the whole screen gets overlaid in a wonderful shade of bright yellow. Unfortunately, a good whack on the side makes it turn back into regular old boring shades of white & clear.

Anyway, I need a new monitor. I thought about looking into a larger 25"-26" lcd and hopefully spending from $500 -$700.

I use my pc to mainly (1) play games (fps & rts mostly) and (2) surf/shop.

I read a while back that lcd's aren't the best for pc gaming and gamers should stick to the tried & true crt's.

Have LCD's gotten any better?
September 21, 2007 10:35:25 AM

They have gotten better but they are not even close to high end CRTs. Most professional players refuse even to discuss about LCDs. CRTs have greater sharpness (smaller dot pitch), higher contrast, better colour fidelity, more vibrant colours, much higher resolutions/frequencies for a given size, zero response time and real black.
September 21, 2007 11:31:41 AM

realzeus said:
They have gotten better but they are not even close to high end CRTs.

Any recommendations for me?
Related resources
September 21, 2007 6:49:59 PM

Since Sony and Mitsubishi have seized production of apperture grille tubes the really high end CRT monitor exists no more. I don't know where you live but I guess that Viewsonic is one of the best choices nowadays. Frankly, I can't really think of another good quality CRT still in production with possible the exception of Illyama, who used to produce aperture grill based monitors up untill recently but I don't know if it still does. At the end of the day it depends on the market you are buying from and what is available over there.
September 21, 2007 6:56:08 PM

Thanks but after looking I dont think a crt is really an option for me.
Pricing under $700 and a BIG screen isnt gonna happen.

Guess I'll look into LCD's and start new post
September 22, 2007 11:25:09 AM

after my 21" pro. hitachi died i got a 24" lcd dell and im very happy with it.
i held off because of all the ghosting etc but i dont see any in this one and i use it 90% to play games 10% work but dont tell my wife that :) 
October 28, 2007 6:29:56 AM

You can get a good deal on a refurbished or used monitor on eBay (make sure the seller's rating is good, though). I got a refurbished 21" Dell/Trinitron CRT on eBay for a sale price of $35 or so and a shipping price of $60-ish. The stand was broken, but I made it work. The screen also tweaks out once in a while after having it for several months, but it only lasts a few seconds, and then stops. But the monitor is capable of 1800 x 1440 and more (more being non-native resolution), with a refresh rate of 85Hz, and it has been great for me.

Native/non-native resolution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel#Native_vs._logical_p...
!