HannsG LCD - Any Good? 28"ws for $620!

Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • LCD
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 21, 2007 7:11:04 PM

Never really heard of a Hanns-G monitor before.

THIS HG-281DPB monitor is a

28" WS
800:1 cr &
3ms rr.

....for $680 from Newegg and I even see it for $620 shipped at Mwave.com) :ouch:  :na: 

Newegg reviewers couldnt say enough good things about it.

Wondering what everone else thinks?

More about : hannsg lcd good 620

September 22, 2007 1:46:03 PM

um..... anyone?
a c 196 C Monitor
September 22, 2007 8:47:26 PM

Hanns-G (at least to me) is not really a brand name, I consider it slightly above generic. Probably has a bigger presence in Asia/Europe.

As for the monitor itself. It uses the inexpensive and inferior TN panel technology. LCD monitors using TN panels are geared towards the average consumer who either do not know any better, or who wants the biggest screen they can buy for the least amount of $$$.

Personally, I hate TN panels because of poor viewing angles, poor black levels, and poor color accuracy. However, they are inexpensive and have low response times.

Other (more expensive) panel technologies are the mid range PVA/MVA panels and the high end S-IPS panels. They are better than TN panels in every way except price and response times. Response time can be anywhere from 1ms to 3ms slower than a TN panel. For example, 24" LCD monitors using TN panels are rated at 5ms whereas PVA/MVA panels are rated at 6ms.

If you are a general user who wants the best bang for the buck then go for it. If you really care about getting the best color accuracy you can afford then look elsewhere.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 23, 2007 3:48:54 PM

Hanns-G's not a serious brand name in Euripe either by the way.
September 24, 2007 1:51:28 PM

The real question is what are you going to use it for. For gaming, TN panels don't seem to be a bad choice. The color and viewing angle problems aren't as noticeable and you will appreciate the slightly lower response time. But if you plan to watch a lot of movies or do video/photo editing, you will probably want to look elsewhere.
August 14, 2008 4:51:29 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd bump it since it's related to my question, rather than create an entire other one.

I'm in the market for a new monitor. First, let me tell you that I'll be using it pretty much exclusively for gaming. Occasionally I will watch a video on it, but I'm not a stickler when it comes to viewing angle, as this is a monitor for solo use where I'll be directly in front of it at my desk.

So, does that mean that the TN panel style monitors that I've been seeing get bashed so much would still be ok for me? I hear a lot of people talk bad about TN panels, and admittedly I'm not the most tech savvy person, so I'm genuinely curious if I should steer clear of TN panels for what I'll be using the monitor for. I don't plan on doing any sort of photo or video editing or anything of the sort. Just games :) 

I suppose you could say I'm one of the ones who wants as much real estate for the price as possible. However, I also don't want something that has dull ass colors and looks washed out etc. just for an extra 4 or 5 inches of screen. I have things semi-narrowed down to these 2 monitors, and I was wondering if they're even worth a damn.

Hanns G - HG-281DJB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Viewsonic X Series VX2640w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I should let you know that I'm around the $500 range, give or take. I'm not looking to drop a grand on an ultimate monitor (as much as I'd love to be able to). Basically, is the extra screen space worth the low price tag that comes with TN panel TFTs? Any other recommendations on monitors I may want to check out is greatly appreciated, and any of your input at all is greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Edit: I did some poking around here and saw some great things about the Dell 2408WFP. I did some other searching and I'm getting some conflicting reviews. Some people say it's horrible for games and that the response time is noticeably bad. Others say it works great on games and that it's not noticeable enough to stop a gamer from buying it. Any thoughts? I'd be willing to increase my budget a hundred bucks if this thing is worth it.
!