I think I broke it!

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
So...I was installing a new power supply, a new DVD-RW, and moving some drives around. While I had it apart I took it out to the garage and gave it a good dusting.

After everything was back together I noticed my boot sequence was different and there was a freezing right after the timeout where I choose my operating system. I kind of remember having some trouble unconnecting or reconnecting the cables from the Promise PCI HDD controller so I centered my investigation there. I had two HDDs and one DVD-ROM connected to it so I unplugged them all and the machine booted up like normal.

Plugged in the DVD and everything booted up like normal. Plugged in the HDDs and things went haywire again with the machine hanging and freezing between BIOS and Windows. Tried each drive individually with proper jumper settings and different cables and got the same results. Essentially the card works fine with the DMA 3 device but not the DMA 5 devices. I have even uninstalled the card in windows and then let it be found and installed the drivers. Still no luck.

One thing left to try which I'll do tonight is move the controller card to another PCI slot. I'm thinking I either broke a PCI slot or the controller card somehow. Is there anything else like a software setting I might be missing?

....WW (5.0)

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I had that problem in the past and a simple pci slot change fixed it. I don't think resource conflicts will ever go away :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Tried a different slot and getting the same result. The thing worked perfectly until I had the box apart and started tinkering.

Got a new card coming...hope that solves it and that I didn't break the mobo somehow...

....WW (5.0)

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
New controller card installed and everything is working again. Wish I knew for sure how I broke the other one????

....WW (5.0)