Sign in with
Your question

Looking for LCD 22"-24" around $400-$500

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 26, 2007 7:16:57 PM

I currently own a Sony HS95 analog 19" LCD.
In fact i am very happy with its image quality and such, however, after i recently bought a 8800 GTS 640mb i decided to make more use of the graphic card, thus i need a new bigger monitor. Looking to buy on Black Friday or Christmas.

Preferably 24", and at least 1000:1 ratio, and if possible height adjustable (if not just tilt), and ofccourse great image quality and no speakers.

Need it mostly for gaming, as i rarely watch movies on my pc and i dont do any video editing.

As far as brands are concerned, i don't know todays good brands, but whatever they may be, i'm not paying more than $500 for a monitor. Preferably under $400 for a 24".

So please give me some recommendations.

More about : lcd 400 500

September 26, 2007 11:47:58 PM

Good brands are: LG, BenQ, Samsung, Dell, Planar, HP, Eizo

Bad Brands are: Acer, KDS, LCLCD

If you pay less than $400 for a 24 incher it will be a TN panel. I'd rather buy a good quality 22 incher and get MVA
September 27, 2007 12:41:39 AM

At the moment, there is no such thing as a 22" LCD monitor using MVA panels for the consumer.

All 22" monitors (at the consumer level) uses TN panels. Period

Lenovo will be releasing a 22" LCD monitor sometime in November that uses a non-TN panel (my guess is MVA/PVA) and will list for $550. Street price will probably be less.

The price of a 24" LCD monitor using either MVA or PVA starts at about $600, unless there is a sale.
Related resources
September 27, 2007 7:06:56 PM

Ok so your saying it's not worth it to buy a TN paneled 24"?
and instead to buy a MVA 22"?

I mean is there a significant picture quality difference?
September 27, 2007 11:58:46 PM

If gaming is your greatest concern and you will be watch only a few movies, then a TN panel is probably better for you.

The typical consumer will probably not be able to tell the difference between a TN panel and one of the other panel techs unless compared side by side.

For me, I am willing to pay more money for one of the better panel technologies because I can tell the difference and I do tend to watch movies on my monitor from time to time. TN panels doesn't really produce very accurate colors, but they have faster response times.

If you are on the fence about spending the extra money on a LCD using a MVA/PVA panel, then go to your local computer store like BestBuy. BestBuy tends to have monitors connected to a PC with a game loaded up. Odds are all those connected monitors will be using a TN panel, but try out a 22" LCD monitor just to be sure. If gameplay is fine and you don't really notice any "bad" colors, then save a few bucks and buy a LCD monitor that uses a TN panel.

Not all 22" monitors will have the same quality, but this is a good way to gauge what is good enough for you.
September 28, 2007 10:25:13 PM

bump
September 29, 2007 9:47:16 AM

well i dont know the price where you are but i have the dell 24" lcd and i love it, remember 2 things
1. you get what you pay for
2. monitors last a long time. buy something good its worth it in the long run
September 29, 2007 2:42:57 PM

where / how much did you buy that dell for?

btw, will my 8800 GTS 640mb be ok with a 1920 x 1200 resolution? (running games at max?)
September 29, 2007 3:57:46 PM

i payed about $1100 cause of high import tax etc here but you can buy it in the us for $500ish i think

depends on the game you have and ram and cpu and ............
i see yr system now and it looks good, i dont see why not.
party on dude
September 29, 2007 6:58:04 PM

The Samsung 245BW is a TN monitor and so is the Westinghouse.

The least expensive non TN panel LCD monitor on Newegg.com is probably the DoubleSight DS-240WB ($529). However, I haven't done any research on this monitor, so I am not sure.

The Planar PX2411W Black 24" is the least expensive LCD monitor on Newegg.com that is not using a TN panel. The PX2411W uses a P-MVA panel and is sell in for $570.

The Dell 2407WFP-HC is currently selling for $670.
September 29, 2007 9:23:50 PM

Well, i'm trying to pay under $500 for a 24", so the dell and Planar are out of question.

Do you think its NOT worth it to spend half as much as the dell to buy a TN Panel (WestingHouse/Samsung)?
September 29, 2007 11:46:44 PM

If gaming is the main purpose for the monitor then it would be ok to buy a LCD monitor that uses a TN panel. TN panels have the fastest response time.

TN should be good enough if you work with image editing (like PhotoShop) for personal use. However, for professional image editing it would be best to stay away from TN panels because of poor color accuracy.

As for me, I expect a certain minimum level of quality, therefore I personally would never buy a LCD monitor using a TN panel unless it was for some type of throw away project.
October 1, 2007 11:37:51 AM

Ok this is what it has come down to:

The 24" WestingHouse for $380, which is TN Panel and one of the cheapest.

The 24" HP w2408 for $570, which is most likely not a TN, and i actually saw the monitor upclsoe at a local store and its amazing.

The 28" Hanns-G HG-281DPB for $650, it has only max resolution of 1920x1200 and it is very cheap for a 28".

Please help me decide based on price/performance for gaming. Thankyou.
October 1, 2007 2:05:15 PM

Dad had a PVA panel, and there was some rather considerable "artifacting" with games, so I can't recommend it, although it might've been just that screen..

Like in the caves in oblivion, where there were roots hanging from the roof, and the background was bright, when turning there would be very visible PURPLE pixel fade, for some reason they changed colour on fade...
October 3, 2007 12:45:41 AM

Well all those monitors uses TN panels and they all have a max resolution of 1920 x 1200.

The 24" HP w2408 is pretty expensive for a TN panel. At that price you can buy a 24" LCD panel that uses an 8-bit P-MVA panel that will offer better colors and viewing angles. Response time will be 1ms slower though.

Two P-MVA panels in that price range are:

PLANAR PX2411W Black 24" - $570

HP LP2465 Carbonite-Black 24" - $560 after a $50 mail-in rebate

The Planar can only be bought from an online store. You may be able to find the HP LP2465 in a store, but I don't think it will be easy.

If you really, really like the HP w2408, then go for it 'cause ultimately it is your money and you need to be happy with your purchase.

October 3, 2007 2:31:07 PM

Is the WestingHouse L2410NM a TN Panel? (its 8ms)

Cause if it isnt, then i think that will be worth it comapred to the HP LP2465 which is for $200 more....No?
October 6, 2007 6:30:45 PM

The WestingHouse L2410NM would be a cheap (in more ways than one) MVA panel monitor. Specs seems to indicate that it uses a MVA panel, but the price is comparable to that of a TN panel monitor.

You can get the WestingHouse for $365 at Newegg.com after a $50 rebate.

The HP LP2465 uses a S-PVA 24" panel.

You should search for reviews by hardware site to determine which is better for you. I think I would buy the HP LP2465 over the WestingHouse any day of the week.
October 11, 2007 1:46:48 AM

I noticed that Westinghouse doesnt have a DVI port. I guess you'd have to dust off your old dvi to vga connector heads that came with your video card. Question on my end: does that dim down picture quality in any way? Will it be better to use a dvi to HDMI connector instead?
October 11, 2007 8:16:13 PM

Having tested both the D-Sub and DVI connections, I have not seen the slightest difference in picture quality whatseover. Thus, I prefer the D-Sub as it allows me to have 75Hz instead of 60. I am using a 1280x1024 19'' though, don't know how those 24 inchers react.
October 11, 2007 11:05:44 PM

Just wanted to give a fyi for consumers that the Dell 2407wfp-hc is experiencing ghosting issues that are well documented in the dell forums. I was going to purchase this monitor, but now am considering to wait or purchase another. It does look like there trying to come up with a solution and like any big company trying to do so without saying it is a defect and avoiding a recall. Those that don't use there monitors for gaming or movies will never know.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1219387
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/messag...

Blewstar
October 12, 2007 12:06:35 AM

blewstar said:
It does look like there trying to come up with a solution and like any big company trying to do so without saying it is a defect and avoiding a recall.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1219387
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/messag...

Blewstar

Ghosting is not a defect, it is the limitation of the LCD panel technology used by a monitor. It is also based on how the brain processes the signals that the eyes transmit to it. Different LCD panel technologies will have different limitations. However, it could be that batch of panels were not up to par and slipped through quality control.

TN Panels:
1. Inexpensive.
2. Typically have the fastest response times, but doesn't guarantee no ghosting.
3. Bad viewing angles.
4. Poor color accuracy because these are 6-bit color panels.*
5. Black levels (how black is black) is considered the worst of the 3 different panel techs.
6. Image artifacts can be seen if you aware of what they look like and can become very easy to tell, if you pay attention to what you are looking at. I've seen this in both stills and high action movie sequences. When watching underwater HD video you can definitely see (at least the one's I've seen) image artifacts and some tearing in moderate motion sequences.

MVA/PVA:
1. Moderately expensive.
2. Good response times, but not as fast as TN panels.
3. Generally good viewing angles.
4. Good color accuracy. These are 8-bit color panels.
5. Black levels are consider good, some people say it's at least as good as black levels on S-IPS panels.
6. Stills shows no image artifacts. High motion sequences can show some image artifacts in some cases.

S-IPS:
1. Expensive. These are considered cream of the crop. Some are used in monitors targeted at the high end consumer monitors like the Dell 3007WFP and Apple 30". Even more expensive S-IPS panels are geared towards the graphics professionals with some added electronics to improve color accuracy and constancy (amongst others). Example: 22" S-IPS Eizo ColorEdge CG221 = $5,000+
2. Good response time. Some are just as fast as MVA/PVA monitors. Others are slower and are really meant for those people who's livelihood depends on color accuracy.
3. Generally good viewing angles. Some people say the widest you can get.
4. Very good color accuracy to the ultimate in extreme color accuracy depending on which one you buy.
5. Black levels are considered the best you can buy.
6. Stills shows no image artifacts. High motion sequences can show some image artifacts in some cases.
October 12, 2007 12:10:32 AM

Kabobi said:
Ok so your saying it's not worth it to buy a TN paneled 24"?
and instead to buy a MVA 22"?

As I stated before:

ALL CONSUMER LEVEL 22" MONITORS USE TN PANELS.

The only exception is the Lenovo 22" LCD monitor (which I mentioned before) that is supposed to be out within a month. Presumably, it will use a MVA type panel.
!