shacharoren

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
hello,
i have a problem that devides to many questions so i'll try to combine them.
i'm getting a new work station based on PC (not mac), the graphics card will be 8800GTS 640MB.
now i want to get the new apple cinema display 30".
now i have a few questions,
first i need to know if it's going to be fast enough to run video, either in Avid editing and HD streem.
and of cours if the graphics card suports it's full res? (2560x1600)
i've read the monitor need dual DVI, i'm not sure i quite understand what is dual DVI?
i also want to use dual monitor option with another LG CRT 19", is it possible with this one card and to make them work as a dual monitor?
now apple states that this monitor will run with a PC with no problems as long as the graphics card is good, so i'm thinking the 8800GTS 640MB will be sufficiant but someone told me i might have problems because it's a PC and not a MAC, with drivers and some other things, does someone have experience with an apple display on a PC?
tnx alot, i would appriciate any help.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
You don't say for what application. For games you really should have a 8800GTX (or two) for 2560x1600.

Also the apple 30" display is overpriced. Hp, dell, and Samsung all have nice 30" inchers for $500 less. Use $200 of the money for an upgrade to an 8800 GTX. Send the rest to me(please).

The dual link DVI just means you need a dual link cable which just has more contacts then a regular cable (but they look the same). Any of the new cards will support that.

If you want to play games at native resolution, then you need two 8800GTX in SLI.

The Apple 30" uses the same S-IPS panel that is used in the Dell 3007WFP. I'm not too familiar with the various features, including connections, since I've really only been researching 24" and 26" LCD monitors.

If you are into graphics design where color accuracy is important, then you may want to consider the same monitor I am looking at, the NEC LCD2690WUXI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002169

It uses a 12-bit or 14-bit gamma correction lookup table for even more accurate colors. In addition, it has electronics whose sole purpose is to maintain color uniformity (ColorComp). It also has what's called Ambibright which, based on research, adjusts the brightness of the screen automatically based on the ambient light and shadows casted on the front of the monitor.

The 30" Apple and Dell are merely large screen monitors for the high end consumer. The 26" NEC LCD2690WUXI is for those who are serious about color accuracy. There has been a recent price drop on this monitor. It used to be selling for $1575+ just last week. Now Newegg is selling it for $1250 and is cheaper at some other online store.

I'm placing my order before NEC's rebate expires on 10/14/07.