problems with USB flash drive

On our WinXP systems (SP1 & 2), when users attempt to us usb flash
drives, sometimes the O/S tries to assign an already used network drive
letter to the device, making it unaccessible. Of course, the non-admin
users can't use drive manager to change the drive letter. Is their a
way around this problem?
2 answers Last reply
More about problems flash drive

    Yes, don't assign network drive letters in the low end of the alphabet.
    Windows will assign network drives starting with Z and work towards A,
    and will assign Local drives starting with A and working to Z. If you
    interfere with the letter assignment then you have to maintain the
    assignments yourself.

    Dan Lewis wrote:

    > On our WinXP systems (SP1 & 2), when users attempt to us usb flash
    > drives, sometimes the O/S tries to assign an already used network drive
    > letter to the device, making it unaccessible. Of course, the non-admin
    > users can't use drive manager to change the drive letter. Is their a
    > way around this problem?

    Is there anyother workaround for this? It's not us interfering with
    the drive letter assignments; windows is doing it all by itself.

USB Flash Windows XP