problems with USB flash drive

On our WinXP systems (SP1 & 2), when users attempt to us usb flash
drives, sometimes the O/S tries to assign an already used network drive
letter to the device, making it unaccessible. Of course, the non-admin
users can't use drive manager to change the drive letter. Is their a
way around this problem?

Yes, don't assign network drive letters in the low end of the alphabet.
Windows will assign network drives starting with Z and work towards A,
and will assign Local drives starting with A and working to Z. If you
interfere with the letter assignment then you have to maintain the
assignments yourself.

Dan Lewis wrote:

> On our WinXP systems (SP1 & 2), when users attempt to us usb flash
> drives, sometimes the O/S tries to assign an already used network drive
> letter to the device, making it unaccessible. Of course, the non-admin
> users can't use drive manager to change the drive letter. Is their a
> way around this problem?

Is there anyother workaround for this? It's not us interfering with
the drive letter assignments; windows is doing it all by itself.