Where to buy hard drive circuit boards?

pilotman28

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
I searched with the search function, I read the FAQ, I used google to the best of my ability and I still can't find ANYWHERE.

Can someone, ANYONE, tell me where I can buy a replacement hard drive logic board for my Maxtor 6Y080P0? I'm going nuts over here. I have a perfectly good drive that only has a bad logic board on it and you guys know my pain... that's 80GB that I just don't want to throw away.

Maybe it's just because my first hard drive was 202MB(yes I know that's big compared to some older people) but I don't want to just throw it away! So if you could help me out and SOMEONE provide me with a link to where I can get said equipment from I'd appreciate it.

email Maxtor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hard drives of the same model but a different capacity also usually have a compatable card. You can't find ANY drives of that model someone is selling for scrap, with bad sectors?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pilotman28

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Nope. One, no friends with a scrap hard drive, and since it is a DiamondMax 9 Plus it's not that old with the 8MB cache.

Maxtor declined to help me because they said they don't sell parts. There HAS to be a place out there. but where!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
What model do you need and where do you live? In the States? I have a pile laying around, if I have one that would work for you and you will pay the shipping its yours!

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
These are not standardized interchangeable parts, each board is custom designed to work with a few related models. Most likely they are built by Maxtor and the only people who would have access to them are the repair techinitions at Maxtor.

Right now I have a $200 Alluminum case with a broken power switch. None of the switches are radio shack will fit. Several cases by different manufactuers use the exact same LED/SWITCH assembly.

They even ship the case with a diagram identifying each separate part.

But does anyone sell any of those parts... NO

So I have to hotwire my PC to start/reset/shutdown LOL.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I tried replacing the board on a 120gb maxtor of mine with the board off a drive that was exactly the same and it didn't work at all. It went from spinning up and not being detected to making the railroad of death sound :(

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I successfully swaped boards with a friends 45GB Deskstar to recover my data, but both were identical models purchased at the same time from the same store.

Interestingly enought they both failed in exactly the same way. Flimsy power connector pins broke. First and only time I have ever heard of that happening.

Have you asked maxtor how much they charge for an out of waranty repair. It may be your best option.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Lol, those Deskstars must have just sucked because I had about 5 or so of those exact drives do that exact same thing :)

I tried that with Maxtor when one of my 120gb drives died, they just send me a new drive and probably tossed my old one :(

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Did IMB replace any of them for you?

When I tried an RMA they basicially told me where I could shove it.

I had to have a electrical tech friend solder on a replacement pin, and since the other three were just as flimsy I stuck the drive in a $20 removeable hard drive tray so I would never have to unplug the power cable.

My friend made fun of me until his drive did exactly the same to him :)

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
That was back at my old tech job. I don't recall what became of the first one that died. Ever other one after that we just threw away because it wasn't worth the effort if it was just going to die again, lol.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If the drive is still under warranty, you can do a trick: Get a replacement using the "advanced replacement" option from Maxtor, they'll send you another drive. Then pull the card off the new drive, put it on the old drive, copy everything you need to a third drive, put the new card back on the new drive, and copy again. Then put the old card back on the old drive and send it to them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Ahhh...The infamous IBM Deathstar drives! :lol: What a POS!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Advanced replacement is where you give them your credit card number and they place a hold on it for the value of the drive. They send you another drive, and when they get the bad one back, they release the hold. If they don't get the bad one back, they turn the hold into a charge.

It's a good way to get a spare drive for transfering your data to. But as long as you have both drives there, you could swap cards, rescue the data from the bad drive to a third drive, and then return the cards to their proper drives before sending in the bad one.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Hard drives generally get scraped and that means you're going to have to know someone with a scrap yard, with an account recieving computer parts, with hard drives coming in on that account, with a compatible hard drive in that pile, and willing to let you rummage through their gaylords.

Good luck. Your chances are slim and none unless you have a hook up. I'd try Crashman's method.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>

dollbaby22

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I am looking for a circuit board match for my Western Digital Caviar SE16 drive. The model number is WD7500AAKS-00RBA0 and the DCM is HARNHA2AAB. My damaged one was ade in Thailand in June 2007. Does anyone have a scrap drive or one you are not usinging that has a working board that matches this profile?

andi-0205

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Hi

I've the same issue!
Did you meanwhile found a circuit board for that device I'm having exactly the same model and a damaged circuit board and I need to recover some data from that.

Andreas

pixkaraoke

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

I need a maxtor hard drive circuit board. Mine is a 400 gb sata, model no.6h400f0.
Thanks.
Jet
pixkaraoke@aol.com
be happy to pay shipping to aquire board.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
When trying to find a replacement board for a hard drive, match up EVERYTHING you can - Manufacturer and Model, of course. But also look at the board itself for a board model number AND a version or release number. Sometimes the same drive model has been revised with new boards during the product life cycle.

As for sources, one option is to hunt on places like eBay for EXACTLY the drive you want, then send seller a message asking about board number details to verify it is just the right board. There are just so many drives sold on eBay you might find what you need this way.

MsBoku

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I need Maxtor Diamondmax 16, 300GB ATA/133 HDD (3.5") circut bd
fried chip. Is this a common occurrence? Anyway If anyone has one-
msboku@nycap.rr.com
Thanks

TRENDING THREADS