Closed Solved

Hard Drive not Listed as an Installation Location?

Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop, Trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium (5.8GB) to my (10GB) hard drive, It's listed as Primary drive in BIOS, but when I go to install Windows 7, It doesn't list it in the list of Drives!

The hard drive is working fine, and obviously connected and executed properly, if it's configured correctly in the BIOS.

I mean, what else can be causing this? The hard drive is big enough for the whole installation, it's running fine and it's terminated and configured in BIOS correctly...

I'm stumped. Hope you experts can help me out here, thanks :) :pfff:
27 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hard drive listed installation location
  1. Not worth installing on a drive that size.
  2. Windows 7 system requirements
    If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher drive
  3. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Not worth installing on a drive that size.



    No offense, but all I'm looking for is help with my problem.
  4. @Your second post:

    My computer is 3.0Ghz, 2GB of RAM, does have Directx9.0 and WDDM, my other drive i had in, When I tried to install on it, it said you only needed 5887mb, the drive was only 1gig.

    But even if you need 16GB for 32, It should still list the drive, am I correct?
  5. It won't run on a 10 gig hard drive.
  6. SR-71 Blackbird said:



    Not sure why you posted that link, you already told me the System requirements, but even if the drive isn't big enough, it should still at least list it though right?
  7. Not if it doesn't meet the install requirements.
  8. xIronhidePro said:
    Not sure why you posted that link, you already told me the System requirements, but even if the drive isn't big enough, it should still at least list it though right?



    Hi :)

    Thats like saying ..here is a list of cars that a huge V12 engine will fit, and wondering why a Mini is not listed....

    Also from memory a Dimension 4600 had something like a 60 or 80 gb hard drive....has yours suddenly shrunk ???

    All the best Brett :)
  9. Plus 1 thanks Brett.
  10. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Plus 1 thanks Brett.



    Hi :)

    Sometimes I wonder why we bother, and Moderators even more so, considering the extra work involved.....lol

    All the best Brett :)
  11. Lol, well this is computers not cars BRETT!!!

    Anyways..The hard drive crashed a few years ago, so I have to scavanged around to find ones that work lol

    (im rebuilding this pc)
  12. xIronhidePro said:
    Lol, well this is computers not cars BRETT!!!

    Anyways..The hard drive crashed a few years ago, so I have to scavanged around to find ones that work lol

    (im rebuilding this pc)



    Hi :)

    Ok....but you are NOT fitting 7 onto a 10 gb... end of story... sorry...

    I am amazed its still running after around 10 years...

    And it will be slow...very slow..

    All the best Brett :)
  13. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Ok....but you are NOT fitting 7 onto a 10 gb... end of story... sorry...

    I am amazed its still running after around 10 years...

    And it will be slow...very slow..

    All the best Brett :)


    Well I'm trying Windows XP now xD.

    The disk may be busted, but I'll try anyways!
  14. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Ok....but you are NOT fitting 7 onto a 10 gb... end of story... sorry...

    All the best Brett :)



    Just installed Windows 7 Pro/Enterprise on a 10GB vmhd (LSILogic SCSI Emulation) with no problems, and it was a lazy zero'd drive too. So theoretically, yes 7 can be installed on a 10GB drive, why the OP's drive is not showing is another issue.
  15. Quote:
    Just installed Windows 7 Pro/Enterprise on a 10GB vmhd (LSILogic SCSI Emulation) with no problems, and it was a lazy zero'd drive too. So theoretically, yes 7 can be installed on a 10GB drive, why the OP's drive is not showing is another issue.



    Hi :)

    WHICH version of 7 as the only version that will fit is STARTER/BASIC.... ?

    If you are saying you loaded it into a VM ...thats not the same at all.... its NOT a 10 gb drive...

    All the best Brett :)
  16. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    WHICH version of 7 as the only version that will fit is STARTER/BASIC.... ?

    If you are saying you loaded it into a VM ...thats not the same at all.... its NOT a 10 gb drive...

    All the best Brett :)


    Windows 7 Pro - Finished install is about 6.5GB.

    Errr why isn't the vmdk a 10GB drive? It's emulated by vmware - Windows doesnt know the difference.
  17. Quote:
    Windows 7 Pro - Finished install is about 6.5GB.

    Errr why isn't the vmdk a 10GB drive? It's emulated by vmware - Windows doesnt know the difference.



    Hi :)

    Lol, of course it knows the difference...in the same way it sees 3 or 4 different partitions on a drive and asks which to install to...

    I repeat..its NOT 10 GB DRIVE...HOW BIG IS IT ? 250, 500 GB ?

    All the best Brett :)
  18. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Lol, of course it knows the difference...in the same way it sees 3 or 4 different partitions on a drive and asks which to install to...

    I repeat..its NOT 10 GB DRIVE...HOW BIG IS IT ? 250, 500 GB ?

    All the best Brett :)


    The VMFS LUN that hosts the VMDK is a shade over 7TB. When you create the VM you select the host adapter and drive architecture, in the case of my test I selected an LSI HBA and SCSI and set to Thin Provisioned 10GB (so from VMware's point of view the VMDK is actually about 6.5GB with a maximum size of 10GB). As far as Windows is concerned it is installed on a locally attached 10GB SCSI drive on an LSI HBA with 1GB of RAM (the host has 64GB) and a single 2.4 GHZ CPU (the host has 24)as presented by ESXi.

    ESXi only presents the hardware that is configured in the settings, and in this test that is a 10GB drive. Windows knows nothing of the 7TB LUN that is actually located in an EMC SAN on the end of a 4GBps Fibre Channel HBA nor can it read the rest of the LUN because it can't see it or the other VMDK's that LUN hosts. It can only see the capacity of the VMDK that is presented to it and it can't write beyond that. To make the VMDK bigger you have to use the storage management tools in vsphere vcentre to extend the VMDK.

    It is 10GB as far as the Windows installation is concerned. Have you even ever used VMWare ESXi?
  19. Best answer
    Not worth installing 7 on 10 gigs of space.
  20. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Not worth installing 7 on 10 gigs of space.


    I'm not saying it's practical ... just possible.
  21. For an everyday home computer pretty much useless.
  22. Hi :)

    Umm one small technical point...there are NO 10gb SCSI drives.... 9, 18, 36, but not 10...not ever...

    Unless you are saying you allocated 10 from a larger drive ?

    All the best Brett :)
  23. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Umm one small technical point...there are NO 10gb SCSI drives.... 9, 18, 36, but not 10...not ever...

    Unless you are saying you allocated 10 from a larger drive ?

    All the best Brett :)


    Errrrrrrr the 10gb VMDK is a virtual drive! It isn't a partition on a physical disk. You can make the VMDK whatever size you like as long as it's smaller than the LUN.

    The LUN is a logical VFMS formatted partition created in the SAN, it is physically made up from several 1TB SAS drives, the VMDK is a Virtual Drive hosted on the logical partition (as far as ESXi is concerned its just a file on a VMFS volume, but the VMDK is presented to the guest as either a SCSI disk or an IDE disk depending on what you choose when you create the VM. The size of the partition the VMDK resides on is irrelevant as the guest OS does not see it.

    Install VMware player, create a VM with a 10GB VMDK and install Windows 7 Pro if you think it can't be done.
    Can't see any reason why it would be any different from ESXi other than a drop in performance from using a type 2 hypervisor.

    This is enterprise virtualisation, you don't map physical hard drives through to the guest OS.
  24. Best answer selected by xIronhidePro.
  25. Lol Guys, Don't worry found a 60 gig, not big but it'll do.
  26. Thanks for the vote!Enjoy your week!
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Hard Drives BIOS