Win7 SP1 won't enter sleep mode

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It seems that since Win 7 SP1 was loaded my pc will not enter sleep mode. I've done everything the geniuses at Microsoft support suggest and nothing. Turning off hybrid sleep, disabling wake on lan, etc. Any suggestions besides Linux?

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007

I'm not clear on your question. Does your computer not attempt to go to sleep? Or does it go to sleep and not wake up? Or does it attempt to go to sleep but hang in some way and stay powered on? Maybe something else.

If your computer does not even attempt to go to sleep, you can find out what is keeping it awake by doing the following:

1. click the Start button and type "cmd" in the search bar. "CMD" will appear as the first search result. Right-click on it and click "Run as administrator."
2. In the command prompt window type "powercfg -requests" This will give you a list of things that are preventing the machine from going to sleep.

If it goes to sleep and doesn't wake back up, that is a lot more difficult to troubleshoot. Sleep mode depends on a lot of factors, from hardware to firmware to drivers and software, pretty much everything is involved. To troubleshoot a computer that will not successfully sleep, I'd make sure your BIOS is up-to-date (and only update it if a newer version addresses sleep issues). Make sure your chipset drivers are all installed and the latest versions provided by your motherboard manufacturer. (Or, if those don't work, the latest versions provided by the chipset manufacturer.) Video card drivers can also cause problems.

If your computer powers off when attempting to sleep, you may even have a power supply issue. Really without some more details, this will be difficult to troubleshoot.

--Russel

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've followed all the tips over at the Windows 7 Category Tech boards. No matter what I do, the PC will not sleep / hibernate / standby on its own. I have to manually go to the start menu and select sleep. My laptop and my wife's netbook both sleep. It doesn't matter is I'm booting to Win 7 / 32 or Win 7 / 64 - no sleep.