Presario R3000 bios chipset

Eddy25

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Have few questions about presario R3000 (R3304EA exactly) bios chipset :
Where is it located on the MOBO, is it soldered on the MOBO or not and what is its references.
Finally have someone succeded to flash it externally.
Thanks guys.

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
I don't remember where it is, but from an earlier post of me:
Holding Fn + b, alternative Fn + windows-key, is a way to make the computer look at any attached usb device for a valid bios file and flash program.
For that, you need a usb floppy drive, a bios file (renamed to bios.wph) and a flashing program (phlash.exe file). You can get those files by extracting a bios rompack file, get the latest for your model from compaq's support site. Rename the bios file to "bios", so that it reads bios.wph, put that together with the plash.exe from the rompack (or was it rompaq?) on a clean formatted floppy. Do the procedure mentioned above with the Fn and b-key.
This was working for my r3000 amd laptop.

Eddy25

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Thanks. But my problem is that the laptop doesn't power up . when plugging it to tha AC outlet only 2 leds turn ON (The battery led and the power led) and when pushing the power ON/OFF button nothing happens even the cpu fan doesn't speed up (this.. after removing and or replacing all peripherials such RAM, HDD, DVD,...) That is why i'm trying to externally flash my bios chipset (if it happens to be the problem).

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
It is not, it would start and mention a corrupt cmos or cmos error, just hang with a slightly lit screen, or shut down again.
When nothing fires up, there's not enough power to do that because of a failing power supply, bad battery (tried with battery only, and with the battery out of the laptop - only ac?) or a failing power circuitry on the mainboard.

Eddy25

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Yes this makes sens. So I plugged again the ac adapter (without battery) and noticed that a 2 pins component "Dale R012F" marked on the motherboard as PR28 gets too hot. Have you an idea about such a component.

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
I don't have the slightest idea, google gives something about a resistor.
Hard to tell if it gets hot because it is failing (you could measure resistance over it and see if it is like the once mentioned on google) or another part on the board fails, causing the PR28 to get (too) hot???

ovza03

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Hey man i have the same problem, my R3240US (Nforce150) dont power up, i dissamble the laptop to repair the power jack but my surprise is when i assamble the pc dont power up, i think that is maybe static, but i clean my motherboard with a contact cleaner, put into a anti-static bag, and dont power up the chipset of nvidia Nforce gets hot and i can ear a little sound of my mainboard, i dont know if i can repair it, man i ask you for help, i need to repair the laptop, any idea of whats wrong?