How to plug in a 5.1 speaker system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkspreader

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
I was wondering, I am looking into upgrading from my integrated Realtek HD Audio to a Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card. However, the card only has a Line In, Line Out, Mic in, and a "FlexiJack." How would I got about plugging in the three 3.5mm plugs for my 5.1 speaker system? The speaker system has a Line Out, Subwoofer Out, and Rear/Surround Out.

Thanks in advance.

xad001x0w

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I too have been wondering this. I have a a Creative Audigy 2ZS which has the standard 3x3.5mm jack style of connection. I want to upgrade at somepoint to an Creative X-fi and had no idea how to hook up my 5.1... Anyone have this card and shed any light?

As an alternative darkspreader, I believe the XtremeAudio and XtremeMusic cards have the 3 jack socket connections and have a lot of the same electronics 'under the hood'

KingLoftusXII

Splendid
Jan 17, 2006

No, it has a line in, Sub in, and rear in, not out. The Xtreme gamer has three outputs. Once you install the card and it's software, it will tell you which goes in which. If by some chance it doesn't, you can do sound tests to make sure it's hooked up correctly. If the sound isn't coming out of the correct speakers, simply keeping retesting until you've got the right combo.

darkspreader

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Sorry, I meant to say Line In and such, I was thinking reversely, lol.

So, even though the XtremeGamer card has a Line Out, Line In, and Mic In, it should still let me plug the speaker system plugs into whatever ones it may be? I do know that on my Realtek HD Audo config panel, I can choose what's what whenever I plug something into the jacks. Hopefully that's the case with the sound card...

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Creative Sound cards always uses proprietary terminal wiring arrangement, mostly cards sold capable of 6.1 and 7.1 systems. Unlike most manufacturers that uses three poles per terminal output jack, Creative cards uses 4 poles if system is use higher than 5.1.

If you want to add 1 or 2 extra speakers later on to make it at 6.1 or 7.1 then you have three options.
Option one is to buy the cable from them. 6.1 wiring is different than 7.1
Option two call them and ask how to make your own cabling.
Option three; buy the 6.1 or 7.1 speakers system from them.

As long as you don’t go over 5.1 you are ok and you should check your future use before getting one from Creative. That’ll save you headaches later on. Of course if your 5.1 speaker system uses RCA connections you then need adapters.

Check the product documentation on the product you’re interested here: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/welcome.asp?type=manuals

For 5.1 setup; starting from the one with microphone itching.
(PINK) Audio in / MICDIGITAL.
(GREEN)Line 1 Front.
(BLACK) Line 2 Rear.
(ORANGE) Line 3 Center and Sub.
AD_Link connector.(26 Pins)

For 6.1 Orange wire becomes 4 poles.
For 7.1 Orrange and Black becomes 4 poles with extra wire added.

Status
Not open for further replies.