Sign in with
Your question

Replacing a Gateway FPD2185 -- need advice...

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 5, 2007 10:31:46 PM

Hello everyone,

Well, guess it's a good excuse to look for bigger and better with better being the key word. I have enjoyed this monitor for about 18months before it decided to go out. For it's time was describe by Computer Gaming World as " monitor of the demigods" and in my opinion was every bit an awesome monitor. Here's the following stats:

Specifications
http://www.gateway.com/accessories/product/1540878R.php...
Response Time 8 ms (gray to gray)
Frequency Horizontal: 31-81 KHzVertical: 56-76 Hz
Lamp Type/Life 50,000 hours
Colors 16.7 million
OSD Languages English, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese
Connections and Inputs ? Analog (VGA): 15-pin mini d-sub VGA
Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin DVD-D (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i). Includes HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
Composite video
S-Video
Component Y Pb Pr (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i)
AC power input
USB 2.0 B-type (PC input)
USB 2.0 A-type (PC input)
Weight 18.74 lbs. (includes height-adjustable stand)
Dimensions (WxHxD) 19.45" x 15.35" x 8.2"
Model Number FPD2185W
Panel Size 21-inch diagonal
Panel Type 21-inch viewable<br>TFT active matrix<br>S-PVA<br>Anti-glare coating
Pixel Resolution 1680 x 1050 (native) (75 Hz)
Pixel Pitch 0.0106 x 0.0106 inches (0.270 mm x 0.270 mm)
Aspect Ratio 16:10
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 1000:1
Viewing Angles 178° horizontal, 178° vertical
Stand height adjustable swivel/tilt rotate

As you can see by the specs for 2 years ago this was one of the top LCD monitors. I paid about 500.00 for this when it came out. Contacted Gateway Direct and they still sell them at that price though there no longer in the retail market. Considering that the price for there 24inch has just dropped from 679.00 to 579.00 has me looking in the 24inch market.

Doing a search here revealed very little on the Gateway 2485W and now am wondering if there is something wrong with it. I could find nothing on Behardware as well so looking for opinions. I am open to suggestions as I'm not commited to Gateway at this time.

I have done alot of reviewing on the Samsung 226bw as a possible 22 inch and still nervous on the panel issue. I know how its been resolved, but Samsung should of been more responsible and come forward sooner, but I think demand and greed paid(pun intended) a good role in this.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any advice. I'm giving myself a week before I decide.

Blewstar

a c 196 C Monitor
October 6, 2007 7:05:36 PM

I would consider the following 24" monitors:

Planar PX2411w - $570

HP LP2465 Carbonite-Black 24" - $560 after a $50 mail-in rebate

BenQ FP241W Black 24" - $640 after a $50 mail-in rebate

Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC - $669

I currently use a 19" Planar from 4+ years ago. Back then they had an awesome warranty policy. Now it is merely very good. If your monitor fails on you, Planar will ship you a new monitor using 2 or 3 day shipping (I forget which now) free of charge and you use the same box to ship your broken Planar monitor back to them. I never had to rely on their warranty policy since I have yet to experience any problems with mine. Planar has a small presence in the consumer market, but are well known in the medical field. I am currently considering the 26" Planar PX2611w or the NEC 2690WUXI-BK as a replacement.

HP makes good monitors and is cheaper than the Planar PX2411w, if you are willing to deal with a mail-in rebate.

The BenQ FP241W was the monitor I considered before I decided to move on to 26" monitors. Plenty of connections so you can plug in your Xbox 360 or PS3 if you have one.

Dell. Well, it's a Dell and I'm sure more people are buying the UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC, then all people combined buying the 3 other monitors I mentioned.

October 7, 2007 8:29:51 AM

Thanks for your reply Jaquarskx.

I checked the circuit cities in my area and found that there was only one gateway 24 inch left in my state. The onsite warehouse did not have any in stock and with this and lacking reviews has me guessing now there either discontinuing them or waiting for a new shipment. There is a possibility that there replacing them with another manuf.

I picked up the 24 inch and staring at it as it's still in the box. I made sure of there policy and as long as the box is intact they will alllow a return without re-stocking charge. Not a place for a monitor to be at and after thinking today I will now be taking it back tommorrow.

I called circuit city and asked if they had any samsung 225bw and was told that too is out of stock, but has been replaced by samsung 2232GW which I believe is a glossy version that may irritate me on reflections. I think I may just hold off and allow new stock/models to come out this holiday season before making a final decision.

That dell is pretty for sure and has me looking seriously at it. I don't mind spending more money on it as long as I'm happy.

Still looking for more opinions and thank you for any help

Blewstar

Related resources
July 4, 2008 6:39:00 PM

Blewstar?

Do you still have your broken Gateway FPD2185W monitor? Let me know. I'd be intersted in purchasing it from you.

Thanks.
October 14, 2008 11:51:31 PM

Blewstar
You can replace the 8 capacitors on the power board and continue using this monitor. They cost about a buck each.
And about an hour or so to do the replacement. i have done both of mine one a year ago , it’s still working , the second one went out about a month ago., it is working fine to now.

Think about it 1 hour labor if you do it or have someone do it and less than $10.00 in parts. as to the purchase of a new one.

If you need help with the repair email me at elah4@zoominternet.net.

good luck
Rodge
January 22, 2009 1:18:26 PM

Blewstar

I have the FDP2185, it blacked out this past Monday after having it since August 2007. I absolutely LOVE this montitor and despite the fact that MPC folded and my business class computer and it's extended warranty is worthless, I am just not ready to part with this monitor. So, lets say I can get it fixed with the capacitors as you so state. How long will it remain active or were the former capacitors substandard.

Richard

Sprint Six said:
Blewstar
You can replace the 8 capacitors on the power board and continue using this monitor. They cost about a buck each.
And about an hour or so to do the replacement. i have done both of mine one a year ago , it’s still working , the second one went out about a month ago., it is working fine to now.

Think about it 1 hour labor if you do it or have someone do it and less than $10.00 in parts. as to the purchase of a new one.

If you need help with the repair email me at elah4@zoominternet.net.

good luck
Rodge

!