Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How's the Zire 72 battery life?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 11:35:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I'm looking for a replacement for my Tungsten T3, and it almost looks
like the Zire 72 will do everything I like about the T3 (BT, SD, nice
screen) without the things I hate about it (slider, battery life,
wobbly connection to UC cradles), but how is the battery life?

Thanks!

More about : zire battery life

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:10:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

William P.N. Smith wrote:
>I'm looking for a replacement for my Tungsten T3, and it almost looks
>like the Zire 72 will do everything

Oops, never mind, it's not UC, so I can't use my UC peripherals.

Is there a UC palm with BlueTooth that isn't the T3?
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 4:36:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 22-Sep-2004, William P.N. Smith Flushed this thought from his brain to the
screen::

> I'm looking for a replacement for my Tungsten T3, and it almost looks
> like the Zire 72 will do everything I like about the T3 (BT, SD, nice
> screen) without the things I hate about it (slider, battery life,
> wobbly connection to UC cradles), but how is the battery life?
>
> Thanks!

If you remember to keep BT off, and your screen brightness down to the minimum
(which is still brighter than my m515), then battery life approaches "barely
acceptable". I use mine all day long for short to medium intervals and usually
return at home with at least 70% battery. This includes playing games for
about 30 mins. and reading AvantGo for 20 mins. Heavy BT use and now, the
PalmOne Wifi card will burn your battery considerably. I did a "WarWalk" of my
neighborhood with the Wifi card last night and returned with 55% battery from a
full charge start. (Neighborhood consists of 4 streets surrounded by a wall.)

BTW, I found 11 access points, of which only 3 were protected by WEP! I can
tell you what kind of computer they own, and picked up some routers from 4
houses away! What fun!

WyreNut
--
Remember! Always Eschew Obfuscation!!
Related resources
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 4:36:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

WN,
It really is amazing isnt it. I just walk around and its BEEP BEEP BEEP. LOl
Any news on the HotSynch issue?
PDAMan


"WyreNut" <Me@home.biz> wrote in message
news:FUo4d.138113$3l3.117231@attbi_s03...
>
> On 22-Sep-2004, William P.N. Smith Flushed this thought from his brain to
the
> screen::
>
> > I'm looking for a replacement for my Tungsten T3, and it almost looks
> > like the Zire 72 will do everything I like about the T3 (BT, SD, nice
> > screen) without the things I hate about it (slider, battery life,
> > wobbly connection to UC cradles), but how is the battery life?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> If you remember to keep BT off, and your screen brightness down to the
minimum
> (which is still brighter than my m515), then battery life approaches
"barely
> acceptable". I use mine all day long for short to medium intervals and
usually
> return at home with at least 70% battery. This includes playing games for
> about 30 mins. and reading AvantGo for 20 mins. Heavy BT use and now, the
> PalmOne Wifi card will burn your battery considerably. I did a "WarWalk"
of my
> neighborhood with the Wifi card last night and returned with 55% battery
from a
> full charge start. (Neighborhood consists of 4 streets surrounded by a
wall.)
>
> BTW, I found 11 access points, of which only 3 were protected by WEP! I
can
> tell you what kind of computer they own, and picked up some routers from 4
> houses away! What fun!
>
> WyreNut
> --
> Remember! Always Eschew Obfuscation!!
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 8:30:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 22-Sep-2004, "PDA Man" <pdaman@pdaman.net> Flushed this thought from his
brain to the screen::

> WN,
> It really is amazing isnt it. I just walk around and its BEEP BEEP BEEP. LOl
> Any news on the HotSynch issue?
> PDAMan

Palm's "support" is really abyssimal. I emailed them about the inability to
HotSync via Wifi and got a reply from someone named "Needeep Inchit" or
something like that. This person sent me instructions on how to HotSync my
Tungsten C via WiFi!
My reply stated "Your email gave me no help whatsoever. Can anyone there read
English? If so, please forward my original email to him/her please. As I
stated in my original request for help, I own a Zire 72 and a PalmOne Wifi
Card!"
Another reply instructed me to uninstall the WiFi installation (no instructions
on how!) and in broken English recapped the Tungsten C Wifi instructions AGAIN!
K, time to actually talk to someone "from Palm". (yeah, right)
Got through to "Gerald" (yeah, right) with such a thick accent I had to ask him
to repeat his sentences several times. Told me HotSync via Wifi is impossible.
"Only BlueTooth". Pointed out to him Chapter 2 of the WiFi User Guide on the
CD - "How to Syncronize via WiFi".
<placed on hold for the third time>
"Sorry Sir, this is a new issue, I'll have to send you to level 2".
Transferred. I hear someone pick up, voices, then back to ugly Muzak for 15
minutes. I give up and call back.
Explain it all again to another person I can barely understand.
<on hold twice>
"I'm sorry sir, you can't HotSync with Wifi, only BlueTooth"
<sigh>
Explain Chapter 2 to second PalmIndian.
<on hold again>
"Apparently, you are correct sir, you should be able to HotSync via the Wifi
Card. Can we call you back tomorrow?"
Me: "Yes, I will be available around 5pm Pacific Time".

PalmIndian: "OK sir, we will contact you at 5pm, the specific time..."

So it goes... What a Friggin joke!

WyreNut

--
I am not young enough to know everything.

- Oscar Wilde
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:05:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <Njs4d.29436$wV.15536@attbi_s54>, "WyreNut" <Me@home.biz> wrote:

> On 22-Sep-2004, "PDA Man" <pdaman@pdaman.net> Flushed this thought from his
> brain to the screen::
>
> > WN,
> > It really is amazing isnt it. I just walk around and its BEEP BEEP BEEP. LOl
> > Any news on the HotSynch issue?
> > PDAMan
>
> Palm's "support" is really abyssimal. I emailed them about the
inability to
> HotSync via Wifi and got a reply from someone named "Needeep
Inchit" or
> something like that. This person sent me instructions on how to
HotSync my
> Tungsten C via WiFi!
> My reply stated "Your email gave me no help whatsoever. Can
anyone there read
> English? If so, please forward my original email to him/her
please. As I
> stated in my original request for help, I own a Zire 72 and a
PalmOne Wifi
> Card!"
> Another reply instructed me to uninstall the WiFi installation
(no instructions
> on how!) and in broken English recapped the Tungsten C Wifi
instructions AGAIN!
> K, time to actually talk to someone "from Palm". (yeah, right)
> Got through to "Gerald" (yeah, right) with such a thick accent I
had to ask him
> to repeat his sentences several times. Told me HotSync via Wifi
is impossible.
> "Only BlueTooth". Pointed out to him Chapter 2 of the WiFi User
Guide on the
> CD - "How to Syncronize via WiFi".
> <placed on hold for the third time>
> "Sorry Sir, this is a new issue, I'll have to send you to level 2".
> Transferred. I hear someone pick up, voices, then back to ugly
Muzak for 15
> minutes. I give up and call back.
> Explain it all again to another person I can barely understand.
> <on hold twice>
> "I'm sorry sir, you can't HotSync with Wifi, only BlueTooth"
> <sigh>
> Explain Chapter 2 to second PalmIndian.
> <on hold again>
> "Apparently, you are correct sir, you should be able to HotSync
via the Wifi
> Card. Can we call you back tomorrow?"
> Me: "Yes, I will be available around 5pm Pacific Time".
>
> PalmIndian: "OK sir, we will contact you at 5pm, the specific time..."
>
> So it goes... What a Friggin joke!

So why did you hang up when you were about to be connected to level 2
support? Each time you called back, you started at the bottom rung again.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:20:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"WyreNut" <Me@home.biz> wrote:
>"Sorry Sir, this is a new issue, I'll have to send you to level 2".
>Transferred. I hear someone pick up, voices, then back to ugly Muzak for 15
>minutes. I give up and call back.

Ah, you don't know the secret code words. 8*) "Level 2" means
someone in the US who knows and understands your language and is
empowered to help you solve your problem. Put your headset on and
play a computer game for as long as it takes.
September 23, 2004 1:35:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

William P.N. Smith wrote in message news:<cu24l0hu5cehqsp48jsrtmkkto3pognt2o@4ax.com>...
> I'm looking for a replacement for my Tungsten T3, and it almost looks
> like the Zire 72 will do everything I like about the T3 (BT, SD, nice
> screen) without the things I hate about it (slider, battery life,
> wobbly connection to UC cradles), but how is the battery life?
>
> Thanks!

Rumors about the new Tungsten T5 indicate that it *won't* have a
universal connector. PalmOne is trying to replace it with bluetooth,
(a more universal standard?) thus wireless hotsync, wireless
keyboards, etc. What's interesting is that USB hotsync cradles are in
retail databases for the T5, so even though there's no UC, you can
still have a cradle with the USB wires somehow..

Sorry, there is no perfect Palm PDA for you. Switch to Pocket PC why
don't you?
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 5:43:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 23-Sep-2004, guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) Flushed this thought from his brain
to the screen::

> So why did you hang up when you were about to be connected to level 2
> support? Each time you called back, you started at the bottom rung again.

Because I heard someone in "Level 2" pick up the phone, listen for a second,
then put me back to the horrible muzak for another 15 minutes. It was getting
close to quitting time, and I figured I was going to be on hold until 8pm - 20
more minutes away on a long-distance phone call. After calling back they set
up a time to ~call me!~ back the next day at 5pm. Hopefully they'll stick to
their word.

WyreNut

--
"If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it
necessarily means you're a hard worker. It may just mean that you have
a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance." - Jack Handey
!