Batch file to mklink directory to multiple folders?

fluffyxkitty

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Hello!

I'm interested in creating a batch file that will mklink the same directory to multiple exit directories, but it's tedious to type out the separate folder names. Is there a way to reference a list of names for the folders instead?

For example:

The tedious method-
mklink /j "B:\apple" "C:\test"
mklink /j "B:\orange" "C:\test"
mklink /j "B:\banana" "C:\test"

Is there a way to simplify this down to something like:

mklink /j "B:\foldername" "C:\test"

Then foldername will automatically be replaced by possible folder names from a list?

Solution

You should really look at the "for" command in batch files. The for command can read input from a file or read the output from other commands and act on that output. As an example, you...

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007

You should really look at the "for" command in batch files. The for command can read input from a file or read the output from other commands and act on that output. As an example, you could use the following to read data from a text file called "input.txt" and run your command on the data read from each line:

[cpp]
@echo off
for /f %%i in (input.txt) do (
mklink /j "%%i" "C:\test"
)
pause
[/cpp]

This can get much more complicated, but the above will get you started. Let me know if you run into a specific problem with the above example and I'll see if I can help. I'd suggest reading through the output of for /? several times.

--Russel

Solution