unable to do windows update

Tigger

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

I have windows XP SP2. When I try to do windows update, it gave a message
that says "files required for windows update were not installed or
registered..." Then it give you the box to click to install it. And after
installing it, it still bring up the same message. I tried several times but
no luck. Why is this happening?

map

Tigger wrote:
> I have windows XP SP2. When I try to do windows update, it gave a
> message that says "files required for windows update were not
> installed or registered..." Then it give you the box to click to
> install it. And after installing it, it still bring up the same
> message. I tried several times but no luck. Why is this happening?

It seems that their is alot of trouble at windows update since patch
tuesday,
try again in about a week I'm sure someone is getting their butt reamed in
Redmond at the moment.

--
Mike Pawlak

Is "files required for windows update were not installed or registered" the
exact, verbatim error message?

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm and/or go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in left
pane > Solve problems on your own.

4. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

Archive of Windows Update newsgroup:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Tigger wrote:
> I have windows XP SP2. When I try to do windows update, it gave a message
> that says "files required for windows update were not installed or
> registered..." Then it give you the box to click to install it. And
> after installing it, it still bring up the same message. I tried several
> times but no luck. Why is this happening?

They seem to have fixed it today. I was finally able to connect and download
4 updates.

regards,

"Tigger" <Tigger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have windows XP SP2. When I try to do windows update, it gave a message
> that says "files required for windows update were not installed or
> registered..." Then it give you the box to click to install it. And
> after
> installing it, it still bring up the same message. I tried several times
> but
> no luck. Why is this happening?

kelly

Thanks for the update, it will help others and glad you have it now working.
:eek:)

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> They seem to have fixed it today. I was finally able to connect and
> download 4 updates.
>
> regards,
>

> "Tigger" <Tigger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have windows XP SP2. When I try to do windows update, it gave a message
>> that says "files required for windows update were not installed or
>> registered..." Then it give you the box to click to install it. And
>> after
>> installing it, it still bring up the same message. I tried several times
>> but
>> no luck. Why is this happening?

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

This worked for me:
In the end, I'm not sure which of the two procedures did it, but here
they are. In an attempt to fix search, I did the following:
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll